Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-07-2009, 18:09
Builder of routine

Project on Richey's lyrics

Hi there, I'm currently doing A-Levels and am going into my last year this September and to get extra UCAS points I am doing a thing called an Extended Project which is basically half an A-Level. The great thing is that you can do it on anything so I'm doing a Manics based one. Then I can go to a good Uni and follow in the Wire's footsteps and do a Politics degree (he has one you know). So if people wanna follow how I'm doing I hope it'll be quite intersting. All my progress will go here

http://francismanics.blogspot.com/

It won't be groundbreaking but it's Manics related and this seemed like a good place to mention it.
Old 08-07-2009, 18:17
Knowlede Is Power

I like this
Old 08-07-2009, 18:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

wow that sounds really good, wish i had been able to do something like this
Old 08-07-2009, 18:27
Builder of routine

i'll be putting stuff on quite a lot and it'll be done by January.
Old 08-07-2009, 18:36

Great!
But remember that the 99% of the lyrics from GT and GATS are shared with Nicky. Richey and the Wire used to sit down together and write together (with some exceptions, though). So, be careful

And good work!
Old 08-07-2009, 18:54
Winterlover

Great idea - hope it all goes well for you
Old 08-07-2009, 18:59
Winterlover

Your project sounds similar what I did for my A2 English Language investigation - exploring what Richey's words and they way he wrote them said about his mental state (I ended up with a focus on his depression and sexuality especially, using four or five songs from The Holy Bible which I thought gave best insight). I got an A, hope it goes as well for you - I'm sure it will! If you need any pointers just let me know, I'd be happy to help
Old 08-07-2009, 19:02
Builder of routine

thanks for all the support already, i love this place.
Old 08-07-2009, 19:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
Then I can go to a good Uni and follow in the Wire's footsteps and do a Politics degree (he has one you know).
Whoa now, what is all this?! I'm sure I would've heard if Wire had a degree. He must've said something about it surely!

Anyway, good luck with the project. I'm sure you can ask around here if you need help with anything.
Old 08-07-2009, 22:02

This sounds like a really great project, but from personal experience, just be mindful that you show enthusiasm for your subject whilst maintaining critical subjectivity to the content.

During my A Levels, I did a 'prose study' on Richey's lyrics for 'Small Black Flowers...' and my teacher appreciated my engagement with the subject, she didn't quite share my view that it was 'good' when compared to Plath, etc. Whilst we all love Richey's lyrics, I think he himself would be the first to admit that his lyrics fall short of the standards of some of the great poets.

I think there is a fantastic argument for Richey as a poet over a lyricist, and indeed I think James and Sean (for THB, especially) uniquely crafted the music around what is essentially prose with rather complicated syntax, as opposed to the usual functions of lyrics for 'popular music'. I guess it's really about separating Richey's lyrics in a literary context and the context of popular music.

I guess other examples of poetry (for contextual reasons) in music could be Nick Drake, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell; who have all been praised by poetry experts for the relative sophistication of their prose, (as has Eminem).

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but I'll be looking out for your blog updates because it just looks really interesting, and the secret of any essay is to find something you enjoy writing about. x

Knebworth 96 - Cardiff CIA 96 - Manchester Nynex 97 - Port Talbot Afan Lido 98 - Bournemouth 98 - V Festival 99 - Manic Millennium 99/00 - Brixton Academy 01 - Hammersmith Apollo 05 - Bristol Colston Hall 10 - Cardiff CIA 11 - London 02 11 - Bristol Colston Hall 13 - Manchester Albert Hall 14 - London Roundhouse 14
Old 09-07-2009, 07:44
Builder of routine

thanks, that sounds like good advice
Old 09-07-2009, 07:55
Knowlede Is Power

Good luck, I did something similar in my literature studies but with focus on Nick Cave and his role as a modern prophet (the prophet poet as in ancient greek culture). Always fab to include your heroes in your studies

Last FM Facebook Twitter
Old 09-07-2009, 08:25
Builder of routine

Looking forward to it.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:58
An imitation of dignity

well in a world where you can do Madonna Studies in American universities, why not a school project on Edwards. Interesting.

who are the 'similar poets' you are thinking of comparing him too?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterimage View Post
This sounds like a really great project, but from personal experience, just be mindful that you show enthusiasm for your subject whilst maintaining critical subjectivity to the content.

During my A Levels, I did a 'prose study' on Richey's lyrics for 'Small Black Flowers...' and my teacher appreciated my engagement with the subject, she didn't quite share my view that it was 'good' when compared to Plath, etc. Whilst we all love Richey's lyrics, I think he himself would be the first to admit that his lyrics fall short of the standards of some of the great poets.

I think there is a fantastic argument for Richey as a poet over a lyricist, and indeed I think James and Sean (for THB, especially) uniquely crafted the music around what is essentially prose with rather complicated syntax, as opposed to the usual functions of lyrics for 'popular music'. I guess it's really about separating Richey's lyrics in a literary context and the context of popular music.

I guess other examples of poetry (for contextual reasons) in music could be Nick Drake, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell; who have all been praised by poetry experts for the relative sophistication of their prose, (as has Eminem).

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but I'll be looking out for your blog updates because it just looks really interesting, and the secret of any essay is to find something you enjoy writing about. x

Good points. I think Richey's later lyrics (THB and JFPL) fall half way between song lyrics and 'proper' poetry....