Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-12-2009, 18:42
I live to fall asleep

Things must have changed because if I'd have tried to manipulate any of my A-Levels to discuss pop bands or something interesting I'd have been booted out on my arse.

You should be put through the pain of Austen, Dickens and Shakespeare as those who have been before you, since when was education supposed to be enjoyable?
Old 11-12-2009, 18:47
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Things must have changed because if I'd have tried to manipulate any of my A-Levels to discuss pop bands or something interesting I'd have been booted out on my arse.

You should be put through the pain of Austen, Dickens and Shakespeare as those who have been before you, since when was education supposed to be enjoyable?
Yeah, in our schools/universities it's nothing like that either, speaking as someone who knows LOTS of people from different countries who did dissertations on the Manics.
Old 11-12-2009, 18:53
Builder of routine

It's your equivalent of 'I has a politix degree!'
Old 11-12-2009, 18:56
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
It's your equivalent of 'I has a politix degree!'
HAHAHAHA, ' did you know I did my dissertation on the Manics?' it soo is my equivalent isn't it?!
Old 11-12-2009, 19:02
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
HAHAHAHA, ' did you know I did my dissertation on the Manics?' it soo is my equivalent isn't it?!
Have you told Nicky that?
Old 11-12-2009, 19:14
Winterlover

25th September 1993 - Richey sees his best friend, Nicky get married. Richey never found love despite many one night stands and was described by James Dean Bradfield (singer and lead guitar) as being very cruel and scornful whenever he had a girlfriend.

I have no idea who wrote this, but to my knowledge, it's blatantly incorrect! James never said that about Richey as far as I know. How could he factually say such a thing anyway when Richey famously had only one girlfriend - when he was about 13.

Perhaps this quote has been mistaken with one Nicky made about Richey's reaction when Wire was dumped by a girl at Uni? Still, his remark had more to do with Richey having a go at him for being sad about getting dumped then anything else.

If whomever wrote this passage has a source confirming JDB actually said that, I'd certainly be interesting in seeing where this claim comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
I studied English Lit so I never found it a "pain" to study the work by those authors though Dickens was a bit of a bore for me. However, I do agree with you, when I was in school, it was unheard of to write papers on lyrics of one's choice. We did however study lyrics in the same context as poetry, but those lyrics had to be included within a text book (usually a collection of poetry) that was a part of that course's curriculuum.
Old 11-12-2009, 19:27
Builder of routine

He was in highschool when they hooked him up with that girl. It was in an article with a map of Blackwood narrated by the Manics you could find in the old days of SB.net.
Old 11-12-2009, 19:34
Winterlover

Quote:
He was in highschool when they hooked him up with that girl. It was in an article with a map of Blackwood narrated by the Manics you could find in the old days of SB.net.
Oh, I think I know the one you're talking about - I actually have the mag - but I don't recall James making a comment like that. How could he seriously say that when Richey was only a young pup that dated a girl for a few weeks? That's kind of strange.
Old 11-12-2009, 19:37
Builder of routine

Oh, sorry, I should have clarified - he dated a girl in highschool for 'two weeks', according to the Manics, but I don't think the quote referred to Richey 'girlfriends' - it didn't last really long enough, I do think Francis meant something else.
Old 12-12-2009, 13:25
Builder of routine

Agh, i knew there'd be some factual innacuracies, I apologise but thanks for pointing them out. As far as I'm aware Richey never formed a real boyfriend-girlfriend relationship right? and he was known to be mean about break ups?
I'm presenting on wednesday and then I'm done. I'll post my essay up after I've done it as I'm not sure I'm allowed to while it's still ongoing. Thanks for all the support, I'll go and study Hamlet in microscopic detail next time.
Old 12-12-2009, 14:11
Builder of routine

About Nicky's breakups. According to recent NME article.
Old 12-12-2009, 19:13
Builder of routine

Quote:
About Nicky's breakups. According to recent NME article.
Yeah that's what I used plus everything and some wiki stuff.
Old 12-12-2009, 22:33
Builder of routine

http://articles.richeyedwards.net/may95select.html

Another Richey timeline-ish article, if you want.
Old 12-12-2009, 22:53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
25th September 1993 - Richey sees his best friend, Nicky get married. Richey never found love despite many one night stands and was described by James Dean Bradfield (singer and lead guitar) as being very cruel and scornful whenever he had a girlfriend.

I have no idea who wrote this, but to my knowledge, it's blatantly incorrect! James never said that about Richey as far as I know. How could he factually say such a thing anyway when Richey famously had only one girlfriend - when he was about 13.

Perhaps this quote has been mistaken with one Nicky made about Richey's reaction when Wire was dumped by a girl at Uni? Still, his remark had more to do with Richey having a go at him for being sad about getting dumped then anything else.

If whomever wrote this passage has a source confirming JDB actually said that, I'd certainly be interesting in seeing where this claim comes from.

I studied English Lit so I never found it a "pain" to study the work by those authors though Dickens was a bit of a bore for me. However, I do agree with you, when I was in school, it was unheard of to write papers on lyrics of one's choice. We did however study lyrics in the same context as poetry, but those lyrics had to be included within a text book (usually a collection of poetry) that was a part of that course's curriculuum.
The 'he' might be james...
Old 13-12-2009, 08:30
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
The 'he' might be james...
That's what I was thinking too.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)