Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-11-2010, 19:28
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
I was thinking that maybe you had a secret identity. 'Gutless' may be innocent but the other identity, not so much.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 21-11-2010, 19:58
Knowlede Is Power

Going back to what people said about This Is My Truth... being incorrectly seen as commerical, I sort of agree in terms of the sound of the latter half of the album. (EMG, SATS, PFAYM are more commercial overall) but the singles are quite suited to 'commercials' if we take it literally. For me the cover artwork implies it is more 'commercial' than the sound, certainly when compared to all the other Manic's albums artwork. I remember lending it to someone, and they said they had made a judgement that the album would sound more 'poppy' based on the cover.

For me a great album.
Old 21-11-2010, 20:21
Stretched out in the sun

I really liked the album. Very academic, very intelligent.
Old 23-11-2010, 08:57
I am purity, they call me perverted

This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours was the sound of the Manics going middle aged prematurely - most of what made them so exciting before that record was gone. The edge and danger of the band seemed hugely diluted. For the most part it's very 'dad-rock' and MOR and because it's the bands biggest selling album, hence why that tag has rather stuck with them on a grand scale in terms of public perception.

Also, for those saying they don't understand why it's considered a commercial album: In the context of 1998 it actually was a hugely commercial type of album to be releasing as mid paced plodding rock albums were selling on an enormous scale (hello The Verve etc). I'm not saying that I think there was anything wrong with them wanting to maintain the (well deserved) success that the brilliant Everything Must Go catapulted them to, just that Truth felt like they were desperately trying to cling onto mass appeal by being as inoffensive and boring as possible.

You're Tender and You're Tired, although lyrically rather good, sounds like a lost Phil Collins track. I'm Not Working is an utter monotonous dirge. The only song that breaks up the particularly nap worthy second half of the album is an inferior re-write of No Surface All Feeling; Nobody Loved You.

It was a bizarre time to be a Manics fan as I still loved them but kind of loathed that record for all its safe, bloated tedium. Was also frustrating seeing them live at that time and reconciling the excitement they were still generating on stage - JDB on fire and pouncing around like a man possessed, Nicky looking like a brilliantly wild thing in tons of leopard skin and eye make up, scissor kicking all over the place - and then getting home and attempting to listen to that beardy monotony that they'd just released on record.

I actually infinitely prefer Postcards to Truth. It's still not my favourite kind of Manics sound but I find myself listening to it a lot and enjoying it - the total opposite to my relationship with Truth. I think it does the slower paced thing better: beautiful and moving rather than plodding and tedious. Golden Platitudes is genuinely spine tingling and powerful, whereas The Everlasting just sounds tired and forced. Also, despite the kitchen sink production being anything but an organic sound, the nostalgic melancholy and longing contained within a lot of the songs feels a lot more natural and heartfelt: maybe because they actually ARE middle aged now.

This is all personal opinion of course (my own truth) but This Is My Truth was a huge disappointment to me when it was released and I still don't enjoy it as a listen. I wasn't really truly captivated by a new Manics album again 'til Send Away the Tigers nine years later. That album isn't perfect but it contains a lot more of that Manic energy, spirit and excitement that had first attracted me to MSP. Oh and they started looking like a proper 'gang' type band again too, which was very cool to see.
Old 23-11-2010, 09:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
If we can have our own murder mysteries going on again then I must buy you a drink at a gig sometime, sire!
You're on. Let's just make sure that it doesn't all go a bit Angela Lansbury!
Old 23-11-2010, 18:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours was the sound of the Manics going middle aged prematurely - most of what made them so exciting before that record was gone. The edge and danger of the band seemed hugely diluted. For the most part it's very 'dad-rock' and MOR and because it's the bands biggest selling album, hence why that tag has rather stuck with them on a grand scale in terms of public perception.
I couldn't disagree with this more, MOR it most certainly is not. I would say the above applies to PFAYM more than any of their albums.
Old 23-11-2010, 19:16
Bored out of my mind

Agree with Radiomanic as far as Truth itself is concerned anyway! They sound far too energetic to ever be classed as Dad rock as far as I'm concerned. (Dad rock as in the derogatory way that term is used). Nothing wrong with being 40+ and still rocking out!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 23-11-2010, 19:44
I live to fall asleep

You always seem to get ME on Dad Rock albums....along with 'The Boys Are Back In Town'

Admittedly my Dad does like ME but he thought the lyrics were - 'I'm nutty on loneliness'

I think that says it all to be honest.
Old 23-11-2010, 19:56
Bored out of my mind

Oh well, I love ELO who are considered the ultimate in Dad Rock. Do I care???
Old 23-11-2010, 19:57
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Oh well, I love ELO who are considered the ultimate in Dad Rock. Do I care???

I just think it's weird Motorcycle Emptiness is considered a Dad Rock song....I wasn't having a dig at anybody
Old 23-11-2010, 20:00
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post

I just think it's weird Motorcycle Emptiness is considered a Dad Rock song....I wasn't having a dig at anybody
Wasn't having a go at you! Was just saying. Speaking my mind. Yeah, ME and occasionally Design often appear on these Dad Rock compilations for some reason.
Old 23-11-2010, 20:01
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Wasn't having a go at you! Was just saying. Speaking my mind. Yeah, ME and occasionally Design often appear on these Dad Rock compilations for some reason.
Ah right ok sorry. I thought I offended you!

It is really really weird though - you get like AC/DC, ZZ Top, Thin Lizzy and then....Manics haha
Old 23-11-2010, 20:04
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post
Ah right ok sorry. I thought I offended you!

It is really really weird though - you get like AC/DC, ZZ Top, Thin Lizzy and then....Manics haha
ME or Design (can't remember which now!) was on a Top Gear driving compilation a few years back. Obviously considered good driving tunes, which they are!
Old 23-11-2010, 20:05
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
ME or Design (can't remember which now!) was on a Top Gear driving compilation a few years back. Obviously considered good driving tunes, which they are!
Yeah they are good driving tunes! ADFL is just a getting pissed tune to Dad's though I imagine.
Old 23-11-2010, 20:07
Stretched out in the sun

Gutless, I like ELO too.