Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-05-2012, 08:27
Stretched out in the sun

Good suggestions so far with 4 Real night, Marquee and Milton eynes Bowl but I dare say the Stone Roses support in 95 was another turning point for em.

In other terms, the Columbia You Love Us video has got to be a turning point for the band cos James seemed to have gone from being a fairly weedy kid to a rock god overnight.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:44
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Good suggestions so far with 4 Real night, Marquee and Milton eynes Bowl but I dare say the Stone Roses support in 95 was another turning point for em.
There is no way they'd got that without the Astoria sell-outs in 1994 though.
Old 24-05-2012, 22:16
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
There is no way they'd got that without the Astoria sell-outs in 1994 though.
Eh? Maybe they'd have never broke the top ten with one of their own songs if Richey were still around, who knows. That's all I meant by turning point, cos they have had several.
Old 25-05-2012, 23:00
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Eh? Maybe they'd have never broke the top ten with one of their own songs if Richey were still around, who knows. That's all I meant by turning point, cos they have had several.
They already had a top 10 with Suicide is Painless in 1992. I think with considering how well the Astoria gigs sold they would've probably had a successful fourth album regardless, especially if they were heading in the EMG direction anyway. Maybe it was all the press about Richey that made people go to those gigs, or maybe people were already starting to notice how great they were. Either way, back then those shows combined were way bigger than anything that went before for them. So i believe that is why it was the turning point of their success, rather than the big comeback single which i think was just inevitable.
Old 28-05-2012, 20:29
Bored of being bored

r-r-r-rapido
Old 28-05-2012, 21:00
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
They already had a top 10 with Suicide is Painless in 1992. I think with considering how well the Astoria gigs sold they would've probably had a successful fourth album regardless, especially if they were heading in the EMG direction anyway. Maybe it was all the press about Richey that made people go to those gigs, or maybe people were already starting to notice how great they were. Either way, back then those shows combined were way bigger than anything that went before for them. So i believe that is why it was the turning point of their success, rather than the big comeback single which i think was just inevitable.
Yeah, I know it went top 10 but I said with one of their own songs. I don't remember the Astoria gigs happening probably cos I was 11, but all I was thinking about for a turning point was the transition from Holy Bible to Everything Must Go. Obviously they'd lost one of their best mates and it must've been one of the most difficult decisions of their lives whether to keep the band going or not.

The singles charting were pretty consistent before that, to use a crappy football analogy pretty much everything Richey era was Division 2/League One, and it wasn't until A Design For Life that they reached the Premier League, and I wouldn't be too surprised if there were loads of people at the time who thought that that was their debut. Equally, they could've disillusioned a lot of their existing fans with their change of direction in the same way as has been apparent enough on here between Journal and Postcards. I suppose what I was getting at in terms of 96 being a turning point was that it was a more decisive and deliberate turning point, it was a big change in direction and if nothing else the fact they called the album Everything Must Go points towards that too. I dunno, maybe by the Astoria gigs they'd got as big as they could've given their subject matter and style and the industry in general at the time but with the way they'd trashed everything and it coming up to Richey's birthday and the festive period, and the fact they'd had a fucking hard 1994, with hindsight it looks to me like they wanted to put it to bed. I kinda see it more as a full stop than a turning point. Still, I'd have loved to have heard their Pantera meets Screamadelica album.

Last edited by sculptureofabloke; 28-05-2012 at 21:05.