Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-05-2012, 16:12
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
This is based on?
They've talked about trying their hands with some more eclectic styles whenever they've briefly mentioned the new album; I believe at least a motown-styled song and something more krautrock-esque have been mentioned. Combine with the ideas of another big, sprawling thing (even if I really really doubt we'll ever get the '70 songs' thing) and yeah, could see another KYE-esque rambling thing filled with stylistic experiments. Which sounds amazing to me.

I'd expect we'll only start getting more concrete details late this year/early next year, and this year's dose of Manics will be the GT re-release. New material will wait for a bit.

re: singles - I'm hoping they won't give up on those even if trying to release them for commercial purposes is a bit pointless these days. Mainly because of the selfish reason that I want b-sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Noir View Post
Puts Miles Davis on at a reasonable volume.
Now now, there's no need to torture yourself like that in plain sight.

Last edited by Flint; 30-05-2012 at 16:17.
Old 30-05-2012, 16:20
Winterlover

Quote:
This is based on?
Nicky's words (or James's), saying something along the lines of "the next album is just going to be pure indulgence for us" and "It's something we've wanted to do for a long time".

In Everything, it was said that Horses Under Starlight was something James had "wanted to do for a while". That was completely different to anything on EMG or anything they had done at the time. Similarly KYE was eclectic and 'out-there' (songs like The Year Of Purification, Miss Europa Disco Dancer, My Guernica etc.)

Therefore it follows that the next album may potentially be 'like' KYE.

EDIT: And what Flint said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafir_Lover View Post
They haven't pushed the boat out musically in a long time unfortunately
By this, I suppose you actually mean the type of music not completely ordinary as found on KYE and Lifeblood? Not just the straight-ahead rock/pop found on SATT, JFPL and PFAYM?
Old 30-05-2012, 16:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

I liked Postcards, it's nothing special, but is a nice tuneful album imo, Journal for Plague Lovers is amazing, and Send Away the Tigers is pretty good too!
Old 30-05-2012, 17:47
Winterlover

Quote:
...the new album will most likely be of a similar vein to Postcards or SATT.
I've personally already written them off temporarily due to boredom, but if they release another album full of formulaic, boring garbage, I'll definitely be joining the throngs of former fans wishing they'd just call it a day so they'd spare themselves, and by extension their fans, the embarrassment of putting out horrible crap tunes.

EDIT: this is the longest sentence EVER. Ha!
Old 30-05-2012, 19:08
Bored out of my mind

I've yet to be bored by the Manics. Plenty of other acts who ARE guilty of that though!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-05-2012, 20:32
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
They've talked about trying their hands with some more eclectic styles whenever they've briefly mentioned the new album; I believe at least a motown-styled song and something more krautrock-esque have been mentioned. Combine with the ideas of another big, sprawling thing (even if I really really doubt we'll ever get the '70 songs' thing) and yeah, could see another KYE-esque rambling thing filled with stylistic experiments. Which sounds amazing to me.

I'd expect we'll only start getting more concrete details late this year/early next year, and this year's dose of Manics will be the GT re-release. New material will wait for a bit.

re: singles - I'm hoping they won't give up on those even if trying to release them for commercial purposes is a bit pointless these days. Mainly because of the selfish reason that I want b-sides.

Now now, there's no need to torture yourself like that in plain sight.
If the manics want to be experimental and to go-with-the flow then that is cool by me but I expect, at the very least, to feel like some effort has been made in terms of lyrics, melodies. I think SATT and PFAYM both featured some of the laziest song-writing this band have ever committed to tape. Both albums have flashes of greatness (YLAINE, TFHBH4, AI, TSGD, ETC) but it's not enough, not enough, not enough. I fucking love KYE - I can listen to that album from start to finish without the need to skip tracks, same with LB and the same with JFPL. SATT/PFAYM are albums where I have literally had to compile a track list of the best album tracks and b-sides from each era to hear the type of album I was hoping it would be. You shouldn't be forced to do that with great albums - they should be coherent and complete and flow from beginning to end. Then again, I shouldn't hold such high expectations towards a band who frequently miss the mark.
Old 30-05-2012, 20:35
Bored out of my mind

*will listen to Postcards once I've finished listening to Rush's Vapor Trails!*
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-05-2012, 20:37
Bored out of my mind

'It's NOT WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
Old 31-05-2012, 06:02
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Noir View Post
Puts Miles Davis on at a reasonable volume.

Puts Simon & Garfunkel on in silence

When's Nicky's second book out ? I'm running out of toilet paper
Old 31-05-2012, 06:44
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
*puts Postcards and Tigers on at full blast*
Old 31-05-2012, 08:47

Been trawling round looking for an interview with JDB, I can't remember where it was (Eastern Europe I think), where he said they were planning the next album to be a lot harder, and less commercial.
I know it's on the internets somewhere, just can't bloody find it!
Old 31-05-2012, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
They're releasing an Amy Winehouse cover next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
Nicky's words (or James's), saying something along the lines of "the next album is just going to be pure indulgence for us" and "It's something we've wanted to do for a long time".

In Everything, it was said that Horses Under Starlight was something James had "wanted to do for a while". That was completely different to anything on EMG or anything they had done at the time. Similarly KYE was eclectic and 'out-there' (songs like The Year Of Purification, Miss Europa Disco Dancer, My Guernica etc.)

Therefore it follows that the next album may potentially be 'like' KYE.

EDIT: And what Flint said

By this, I suppose you actually mean the type of music not completely ordinary as found on KYE and Lifeblood? Not just the straight-ahead rock/pop found on SATT, JFPL and PFAYM?
Yes this is what I mean but I still like their albums and their singles and prefer even their recent stuff to most other bands.

These days I listen more to their b-sides and Journal for plague lovers.

For me ME,design,tolerate,Kevin Carter and of course all of holy bible are away above their recent stuff..

B-sides like Red Rubber definitely gives me the impression they still have it in them to produce really amazing songs that are challenging musically and lyrically..

Last edited by Kafir_Lover; 31-05-2012 at 13:18.
Old 31-05-2012, 13:29
I live to fall asleep

Aside from EMG/PFAYM/SATT, everything else has been extremely varied. No two albums sound the same - even JFPL and THB. People need to stop telling them to "push the boat out" cause that's just being too demanding. They're one of the most varied and challenging bands around, and as long it isn't like the three I just mentioned I will be delighted.

On a personal level, I really hope they do go "harder" like Who's Responsible mentioned though.
Old 31-05-2012, 14:05
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney MoJunk View Post
Aside from EMG/PFAYM/SATT, everything else has been extremely varied. No two albums sound the same - even JFPL and THB. People need to stop telling them to "push the boat out" cause that's just being too demanding. They're one of the most varied and challenging bands around, and as long it isn't like the three I just mentioned I will be delighted.

On a personal level, I really hope they do go "harder" like Who's Responsible mentioned though.
For me those three are still quite different to each other, even if they share an upbeat sound. Looking forward to what they come up with next!
Old 31-05-2012, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney MoJunk View Post

Your talking about how their albums sound different but that's more about choosing a different musical style for each album or even varying styles on one album like KYE..

What I am talking about are songs which arouse interest because lyrically and musically they are different from all that's gone b4.

Early Stuff:
ME(melodic guitar riff after every line and extremely unusual chorus "Under neon loneliness, Motorcycle Emtiness")
Design for life-Soaring strings and crashing guitars with subject matter of working class pride
Tolerate-Spanish civil war subject matter and distorted guitar riffs after every line....

Stuff after TIMTTMY
So Why So sad-catchy tune but nothing original
Nixon-catchy tune but nothing original
YLAINE-catchy tune but nothing original
It's not War-catchy tune but nothing original

Last edited by Kafir_Lover; 31-05-2012 at 14:19.