Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 14:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Id like the next album to have a song with Sean's lyrics on it for once. Have they done that before?
Old 04-06-2012, 15:43
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstermanic View Post
Id like the next album to have a song with Sean's lyrics on it for once. Have they done that before?
I believe Sean wrote "Welcome To The Deadzone"
Old 04-06-2012, 15:58
Bored out of my mind

Give him the lyrics then world domination is soon to follow!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 04-06-2012, 15:59
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I think what the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/guitar solo/chorus thinking overlooks, is the band have become musicians in their own right and have transcended the punky beginnings. Well OK then... maybe James. But in decades to come they'll be speaking of "Bradfield" in the same breath as Clapton.
Not news on when we get to hear new stuff. But just an observation to cancel out apparent hostility to PFAYM etc.
Old 04-06-2012, 16:02
Bored out of my mind

I Postcards and SATT. I do not care what the rest of the fanbase thinks!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 04-06-2012, 16:32
Doors slowly closing

Well, this is turning into my kind of thread. Now where did I store that automated response on my hard drive? Ah...

The boring V/C/V/C/S/C structure it just the tip of the shitberg, though.

I mean, we all know that's how popular music generally is. Most bands follow The Beatles and grow out of it after a few albums to avoid repetition, obviously, especially when they openly start promising 'GNR playing The White Album', but if you really can't develop your songwriting skills beyond the most basic of song structures, you could at least get that right...

The real problem is, they can't even be arsed to write two verses these days, their solos are basically another instrumental verse/chorus and the concept of a final double chorus or key change is completely lost on our JDB.

In other words, their songs are pretty much done by the first chorus. Time to move along, nothing else to see here.

In this respect I think PFAYM was actually an improvement over JFPL. You're all entitled to like Peeled Apples, I think it gives up on itself halfway through (especially when they show us all the lyrics they cut out). Same with Me & Stephen Hawking. It's basically a verse and a chorus repeated and that's it. It's a sloppy edit away from being Underdogs level of shite.

So, yeah, they stole Somebody To Love for the end of PFAYM's title track, but at least they're slowly coming around to the idea that songs need more than a third run of the same old chorus to end on. Same with adopting Hey Jude for Golden Platitudes. The Future Has Been Here 4Ever and All We Make Is Enertainment also strive to avoid the skip button halfway through. Not altogether successfully, but small victories and all that...

I'm not defending PFAYM, though. It starts with It's Not War and ends with Don't Be Evil. The former isn't an opener, the latter isn't a closer and that's not an album with any planning or thought behind it.

Nobody's asking them to go prog. We're just willing them on to be something more than sub-Oasis pub rock.
Old 04-06-2012, 19:49
Bored out of my mind

So lads, they basically want you to go prog ala The Temples Of Syntax Part IIIIVVV ala Rush, Then they might stop moaning about how you write songs, like.
Old 04-06-2012, 19:54
Bored out of my mind

Did repetition ever do Donna Summer etc any harm? No, it didn't.
Old 04-06-2012, 20:00
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I like Summer's disco hits but I don't really want Manics to go on that route, even if Miss Europa Disco Dancer is a brilliant song...

I don't want the Manics to go all proggy because that's not who they are (and I like PFAYM and stuff) but I do wish they would loosen up a bit when it comes to song structures; the self-imposed time limits/structural repetitions feel more like forced restrictions than relaxed songwriting that just happened to go that way. And I do think the next album might do something about it, after all PFAYM was the last shot at mass communication so chorus-heavy, simple pop structures were pretty much expected from the era. Even if it's just more songs that go on for more than four minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I believe Sean wrote "Welcome To The Deadzone"
He did the music, not the lyrics.

Last edited by Flint; 04-06-2012 at 20:04.
Old 04-06-2012, 20:07
Bored out of my mind

Disco Manics!

I'm sure we will get the Manics going off on a different tangent again. Will be interesting to see what they come up with!
Old 04-06-2012, 20:22
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
In this respect I think PFAYM was actually an improvement over JFPL.
(I know what you mean but it's IMHO harder to create two verses from Richey's (not here anymore) lyrics when there's one absolutely briliant I guess they sometimes didn't want to spoil the party by another verse which would be worse, Nicky's lyrics are completely shit nowadays so you can add anything you want for another verse you can't spoil anything) BUT

for Christ sake you can't say word IMPROVEMENT when you're comparing PFAYM to JFPL in any sense :-)

Last edited by Donkey; 04-06-2012 at 20:28.
Old 04-06-2012, 20:27
Bored out of my mind

*sets Postcards and Journal on Donkey!*
Old 04-06-2012, 20:28
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstermanic View Post
I believe it'll look like:

Sonic/Cinos (song for Richey who loved him...)

you and me
staring into screen
you and me
we both believe

we're gonna win

help me you slow little fox
I'm starting being literallyblue
but still....

I'm Sonic
Sonic the Hedgehog and I'm the one.

sonic/cinos
sonic/cinos

we all turns pale trying to get into another level/level

sonic/cinos
level/level

sonic/cinos
level/level

you and me
running out of our lives too soon....
Old 04-06-2012, 20:30
Bored out of my mind

The Manics should write a song about Sonic The Hedgehog. Definitely!
Old 04-06-2012, 20:36
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
It killed her...