Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-06-2012, 16:11
Desire on its knees

Question for LEICESTER based fans ...

Whilst surveying their gigography, I noticed that when the band play Leicester, sometimes the venue is at the De Montfort Hall and sometimes its called Leicester Arena, De Montfort University - can anyone tell me if these are in fact the same venue just labelled slightly differently, or if Leicester Arena and De Montfort Hall are two different venues? Thanks!

Matt
Old 05-06-2012, 16:26
HBIC

Two different venues. De Montfort Hall was built around WWI and is near Leicester University.

In 1992 Leicester Polytechnic became De Montfort University. It had a hall called The Arena (although I think it's now used as an exam venue, not a gig venue.)

Last edited by Finn; 05-06-2012 at 16:39.
Old 05-06-2012, 16:29
Desire on its knees

Cheers, Finn, appreciate the help!
Old 05-06-2012, 16:38
HBIC

No problem, I lived in Leicester in the late 80's/early 90's. The name mix up was pretty common if you didn't know about the Hall pre-dating the University.
Old 05-06-2012, 16:49
Desire on its knees

We had similar issues up in Staffordshire when I went to Keele Uni. Keele, Newcastle Under Lyme, Stoke on Trent and Hanley all kind of merge into one and with venues like Trentham Gardens, The Whatsheaf, Victoria Hall and The Students Union (of which there were two - one at Keele and one at Stoke Polytechn ... sorry, University of Staffordshire in Stoke on Trent ...), trying to get people to understand which venue was in which town was like pulling teeth. The amount of times I had people turn up at Keele saying they had mistakenly gone to Stoke Poly was unbelievable...
Old 05-06-2012, 17:45
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
We had similar issues up in Staffordshire when I went to Keele Uni. Keele, Newcastle Under Lyme, Stoke on Trent and Hanley all kind of merge into one and with venues like Trentham Gardens, The Whatsheaf, Victoria Hall and The Students Union (of which there were two - one at Keele and one at Stoke Polytechn ... sorry, University of Staffordshire in Stoke on Trent ...), trying to get people to understand which venue was in which town was like pulling teeth. The amount of times I had people turn up at Keele saying they had mistakenly gone to Stoke Poly was unbelievable...
My Ex was from Newcastle Under Lyme and he used to go crazy if anyone called him a Stokie, I suppose its the same with Black Country and Brummie folk.
Old 06-06-2012, 15:21
I am purity, they call me perverted

Saw them twice in one year. 93 at the uni. About April then Oct.
Catatonia was a support and I think sleeper for the other. My memory fades but I remember the gigs were epically mad. I was fit back then but I swear I nearly had a heart attack in the pit. In the oct gig I went over the barrier twice and got a nod from Nicky.James had his bleached crew cut hair.
Good old days.

Stay Beautiful.
Old 06-06-2012, 19:40
Builder of routine

I'd laugh hard if someone tried to have a gig at the DMU Student Union. De Montfort Hall is a nice venue though as is the Leicester Uni student union.