Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-04-2018, 11:37
An imitation of dignity

I really enjoyed the gig last night. Personally, I could have lived without hearing ‘horses under starlight’ and ‘let Robeson sing’ as I’m not a fan of either songs to start off with. Slash N Burn was a nice surprise, obviously rolling that one out in preparation for the Guns N Roses dates.
As others have said, with the band being on their 13th album it’s nigh on impossible to please us all with the amount of material they have to choose from. They obviously need to do a small tour where they let the fans choose the set list, just to keep our faces straight haha.

Last edited by Hoosteen; 24-04-2018 at 11:55.
Old 24-04-2018, 12:55
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosteen View Post
They obviously need to do a small tour where they let the fans choose the set list, just to keep our faces straight haha.
Not sure about that. All the casuals and THB hardcore fans will just opt for tracks from THB and EMG! Unless there was a rule that no "big" songs could be played (or even singles). I'd pay good money for that!!!!!!!!
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 24-04-2018, 13:00
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I still dream of an orchestral arrangement tour at the Sage... by far the best music venue in the area IMHO.
I work in a big seated concert hall and I can confirm that there was a Manics/Orchestral tour penciled in the diary of half a dozen of the bigger seated halls. The dates went in the diary in 2015 and the tour was scheduled for 2016. It never materialized sadly.

I would have very much enjoyed this but I still think the best way to see the band is a decent standing venue such as Manchester Apollo (c.3,000) or even better, somewhere smaller.
Old 24-04-2018, 13:23
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
Not sure about that. All the casuals and THB hardcore fans will just opt for tracks from THB and EMG! Unless there was a rule that no "big" songs could be played (or even singles). I'd pay good money for that!!!!!!!!
Yes! Or 2 songs from each album, so top 2 get put into the setlist! Just out of interest I’m going to have a look at the polls done in the other part of the forum and see what would be played.

I have actually asked Sean on Twitter if they’d do a tour based on a fan picked setlist and he said that’s what jukeboxes are for, dammit!
Old 24-04-2018, 13:36
An imitation of dignity

Quote:

Quote:
Yes! Or 2 songs from each album, so top 2 get put into the setlist! Just out of interest I’m going to have a look at the polls done in the other part of the forum and see what would be played. !
So, had a quick look and going off the ‘survivor threads’ on the forum, the setlist so far would be:

Send Away The Tigers
Imperial Body Bags
A Song For Departure
Intravenous Agnostic
Freedom Of Speech Won’t Feed My Children
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
Ready For Drowning
A Design For Life
No Surface All Feeling
Archives Of Pain
Yes
From Despair To Where
Roses In The Hospital
Motorcycle Emptiness
Stay Beautiful
Old 24-04-2018, 13:46
Knowlede Is Power

Really enjoyed that gig last night. New songs sounding really good. IB and HMLAH much better sounding than the TV/Radio YouTube versions. PGI was fantastic and I’d thought that would open the show, but IB was just as good an opener.

Thought Wayne did quite well with the singing on D&C.

Horses under starlight was a strange one, but we can’t complain about them playing something they’ve not done before. Good rest up for JDB voice too.

Plenty of 8:45 starts in the past so didn’t see it going past 10:30.

Looking forward to seeing them again later in the week.
Old 24-04-2018, 15:08
Desire on its knees

What time did the gig end last night?
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 24-04-2018, 15:12
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron the little seal View Post
What time did the gig end last night?
Came onstage at 8:45 and finished about 10:30ish
Old 24-04-2018, 15:29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Maybe £50 is less to you than it is to me, I dunno. Yeah, it was a fairly typical Manics set length, and course they’re touring this album, so leaving 17 songs to represent a dozen albums is a big ask. Surely I’m not the only one who wondered if the set would’ve been longer with the earlier start, surely it’s not that unreasonable a thing to think? Finishing 40 minutes ahead of curfew does feel a bit much.
Well, the money is a different thing - but isn't that just what an arena goes for these days? You've seen as many or as more shows as I have had - expecting more than 23-24 songs just doesn't seem realistic, no matter the time they begin or the venue. Just not sure how you could be realistically disappointed by that.
Old 24-04-2018, 15:30
Administrator

Quote:
I really enjoyed the gig last night. Personally, I could have lived without hearing ‘horses under starlight’ and ‘let Robeson sing’ as I’m not a fan of either songs to start off with. Slash N Burn was a nice surprise, obviously rolling that one out in preparation for the Guns N Roses dates.
As others have said, with the band being on their 13th album it’s nigh on impossible to please us all with the amount of material they have to choose from. They obviously need to do a small tour where they let the fans choose the set list, just to keep our faces straight haha.
Haha, no way would nicky want to learn all those songs!
Old 24-04-2018, 15:43
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Muse have done some fan gigs lately where they allowed fans to live vote on a selection of songs rather a free vote. That could work for the Manics but they have kicked against fan input in the past.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 24-04-2018, 15:45
Bored out of my mind

Here are a few photos...didn't get many good ones; the lights were a bit dazzling at times. I could barely see anything during International Blue, ironically due to an insanely bright blue light at the back of the stage!

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 24-04-2018 at 15:50.
Old 24-04-2018, 15:49
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Haha, no way would nicky want to learn all those songs!
You can just imagine his reaction can’t you! Haha
Old 24-04-2018, 16:08
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Here are a few photos...didn't get many good ones; the lights were a bit dazzling at times. I could barely see anything during International Blue, ironically due to an insanely bright blue light at the back of the stage!
Nice photos

I feared that light would be there the whole night at the time 😂 Glad it was just the one song.
Old 24-04-2018, 17:15
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasnost View Post
Nice photos

I feared that light would be there the whole night at the time 😂 Glad it was just the one song.
Thanks Ha yep, I had the same worry about the light too, thank god it was just the first song!