Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-12-2010, 15:56
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

When they do get down to some songwriting, I hope they dig much deeper and intentionally try to get out of their comfort zone. I know it's hard ten albums in, but if they listen to as much music as they say they do, they should have ideas and influences coming out of their ears. When you look back through their albums, it's hard to pick out any points where they've actually been directly influenced by a band (other than GNRs for GT), instead they just kind of make "Manics music". I'm not expecting them to go all prog, but I listen to songs every day and constantly hear bits and pieces that they could easily incorporate into their traditional sound to freshen it up . . . that's if they are indeed afraid of getting away from their traditional sound, and I suspect they are.
Old 30-12-2010, 16:08
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Poet View Post
When they do get down to some songwriting, I hope they dig much deeper and intentionally try to get out of their comfort zone. I know it's hard ten albums in, but if they listen to as much music as they say they do, they should have ideas and influences coming out of their ears. When you look back through their albums, it's hard to pick out any points where they've actually been directly influenced by a band (other than GNRs for GT), instead they just kind of make "Manics music". I'm not expecting them to go all prog, but I listen to songs every day and constantly hear bits and pieces that they could easily incorporate into their traditional sound to freshen it up . . . that's if they are indeed afraid of getting away from their traditional sound, and I suspect they are.
Agreed x 1000! Great post!

You know, I suspect that their next album will be something really great...doubt it will push any kind of musical boundaries, but I think, given their history, it'll be along the lines of something slightly more left of centre.
Old 30-12-2010, 16:12
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Agreed x 1000! Great post!

You know, I suspect that their next album will be something really great...doubt it will push any kind of musical boundaries, but I think, given their history, it'll be along the lines of something slightly more left of centre.
slightly left of centre? But the Liberal Left's destroyed!

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 30-12-2010, 17:22
I am purity, they call me perverted

When selecting venues to play, to remember that the South West does not start and end at Bristol!
Old 30-12-2010, 17:40
Winterlover

Vary setlists, stop dismissing their own back catalogue, keep the promise to be more indulgent on the next album.
Old 30-12-2010, 18:17
Stretched out in the sun

beautifuldistortion - I agree the band wanted commercial success (which is why I was hilariously confused by people saying them going on Strictly was a worse event than the Dresden bombings) but them semingly believing they're only commercial aspect is string laden production is counter productive.

Even if we just look at it over which number 1s they had Tolerate was a synth/string song, and Masses was a powerchord rock number, so 50% of their number 1s was not string backed. The band seemingly have it in their heads that only strings and EPIC WALL OF SOUND (*vomit*) will give them a commercial success again.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 30-12-2010, 18:26
A self-made vacuum

Would quite like Wire to stop doing the frantic crotch pocket crotch pocket fiddle he's started to do every time he talks on stage. Means I end up laughing for a whole song.

No control. We're all at sea. In a world that's disappeared.
Old 30-12-2010, 20:27
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
beautifuldistortion - I agree the band wanted commercial success (which is why I was hilariously confused by people saying them going on Strictly was a worse event than the Dresden bombings) but them semingly believing they're only commercial aspect is string laden production is counter productive.

Even if we just look at it over which number 1s they had Tolerate was a synth/string song, and Masses was a powerchord rock number, so 50% of their number 1s was not string backed. The band seemingly have it in their heads that only strings and EPIC WALL OF SOUND (*vomit*) will give them a commercial success again.
Point taken
Although by releasing 'postcards' as a single, maybe they are showing a bit more faith in the non-string based songs?
As much as I like PFAYM I am hoping for a more raw sound next time.
Old 30-12-2010, 20:30
Stretched out in the sun

Aye, had a listen to the title track before and it isn't as string based which is nice. Not a fan of the song myself but sounds better than Some Kind of Nothingness on record.

Given how amazing Don't Be Evil is I really want them to have a few guitar/bass/drums/lead vocals tracks on their next album. Even if they just had an EP like that I'd be glad.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 30-12-2010, 20:41
Doors slowly closing

Give Dave Eringa his P45 and phone Steve Albini before going into the studio.

Irish gig(not a festival or corporate function)

Nicorette
Old 30-12-2010, 20:45
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bloo_ View Post
Would quite like Wire to stop doing the frantic crotch pocket crotch pocket fiddle he's started to do every time he talks on stage. Means I end up laughing for a whole song.

i will need to seek out some YT vids of this..!