Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 21:08
Doors slowly closing

A new compilation in 2012?

For some reason I have a feeling it'll happen. I used to disapprove of 'best of' compilations because of the 'easy money' aspect for the record labels but as they're also good promotion for the artists I'd say it would be a positive thing for the band.

I think this time it should be more focussed on songs rather than hits - but it'd have to include their biggest singles obviously. What would you realistically like to see on there? (I'd suggest leaving space for at least one song from the new album).
Old 01-06-2010, 21:12
Stretched out in the sun

Yeah, I can see that... Forever Delayed isn't that good.. You've made me think of Blur with their "Best Of" and "Midlife", which pisses all over the first one. Think the first one should've been a double. This time.. I dunno, maybe stick Elvis, PCP and Sleepflower on there from the earlier stuff. You'd have to have all the 00s singles on it.. Maybe stick Sorrow 16 on? Be nice to see a few album tracks on there.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:15
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
For some reason I have a feeling it'll happen. I used to disapprove of 'best of' compilations because of the 'easy money' aspect for the record labels but as they're also good promotion for the artists I'd say it would be a positive thing for the band.

I think this time it should be more focussed on songs rather than hits - but it'd have to include their biggest singles obviously. What would you realistically like to see on there? (I'd suggest leaving space for at least one song from the new album).
All the singles in order.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:18
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Yeah, I can see that... Forever Delayed isn't that good.. You've made me think of Blur with their "Best Of" and "Midlife", which pisses all over the first one. Think the first one should've been a double. This time.. I dunno, maybe stick Elvis, PCP and Sleepflower on there from the earlier stuff. You'd have to have all the 00s singles on it.. Maybe stick Sorrow 16 on? Be nice to see a few album tracks on there.
Yep, Midlife was way better than the Best Of.

I think No Surface All Feeling should probably be on there. I always include The Girl Who Wanted to Be God and Nobody Loved You when I make a Manics compilation.

They didn't release many singles in the noughties did they? Hadn't noticed until I counted them. It should have 1985 on it rather than the two Lifeblood singles.

What do you think from JFPL? I'm pretty sure they'd put on the radio edit of Jackie Collins but I'd rather see Marlon JD.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:19
Bored of being bored

A collection similar to Clash on Broadway would be nice, that way it would leave room for some rarities & live tracks. Whilst still pleasing everyone with room for singles etc
Old 01-06-2010, 21:20
Under neon loneliness

Yeah I think a chronological singles comp is a fair idea, especially when they have a few non-album singles. Stuff like the Clash singles comp and Standing on a Beach/Staring at the Sea are well-respected documents of great singles bands, which is what the Manics are for the majority of the potential market for this kind of thing..

Plus putting SWSS, Ocean Spray and Robeson together would make skipping the dross easier. Ditto Nixon/Empty Souls.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:21
I live to fall asleep

I guess it depends on how many albums they've got on their new contract with Columbia/Sony.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:21
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon Bonaparte View Post
A collection similar to Clash on Broadway would be nice, that way it would leave room for some rarities & live tracks. Whilst still pleasing everyone with room for singles etc
*shudder* I hate live songs on a compilation. The new Idlewild collection bugs me for that reason (incidentally, if Idlewild can have two compilations in less than 5 years, a new MSP one is certainly justifiable!)
Old 01-06-2010, 21:24
Stretched out in the sun

If a new compilation happens, I'd want it to be a 2-CD "ultimate collection" that spans their entire career and would be the ultimate first port of call for anyone just getting into the Manics.

I'd have 15 tracks on each CD, chronologically ordered. CD 1 would cover GT to TIMTTMY and CD 2 would cover KYE to PFAYM. And "Motown Junk" has to be included on CD 1, naturally

Last edited by Mr Richey; 01-06-2010 at 21:34.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:25
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Yep, Midlife was way better than the Best Of.

I think No Surface All Feeling should probably be on there. I always include The Girl Who Wanted to Be God and Nobody Loved You when I make a Manics compilation.
Ooh, didn't think of No Surface. They do love it.. Yeah, Nobody Loved You was a Japanese single, maybe Further Away too?

Quote:
They didn't release many singles in the noughties did they? Hadn't noticed until I counted them. It should have 1985 on it rather than the two Lifeblood singles.
Nah, just 10 proper physical chart eligible singles. Then I suppose you've got Underdogs, Umbrella, God Save The Manics and The Ghost Of Christmas Wouldn't wanna see too much overlap from Forever Delayed and Lipstick Traces, but I think they'd need some.

Quote:
What do you think from JFPL? I'm pretty sure they'd put on the radio edit of Jackie Collins but I'd rather see Marlon JD.
Yeah, I think you're probably right. First two tracks, most likely. Marlon JD was one of the best received on the gigs I was at, wonder if they remember that. I'd like to see All Is Vanity on there, but I doubt it.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:26
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey83 View Post
If a new compilation happens, I'd want it to be a 2-CD "ultimate collection" that spans their entire career and would be the ultimate first port of call for anyone just getting into the Manics.

I'd have 15 tracks on each CD. CD 1 would cover GT to TIMTTMY and CD 2 would cover KYE to PFAYM. And "Motown Junk" has to be included on CD 1, naturally
Yeah I agree with that, although I think I'd organise it more like the Radiohead one, with disc one being primarily singles with a few 'fan favourites' and disc 2 venturing into the more obscure.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:29
Bored of being bored

Quote:
*shudder* I hate live songs on a compilation. The new Idlewild collection bugs me for that reason (incidentally, if Idlewild can have two compilations in less than 5 years, a new MSP one is certainly justifiable!)
Maybe, the version of I Fought The Law on the Broadway collection was recorded the day I was born, so I may not be entirely subjective on that. However if it's an iconic live recording, a decent moment in time it could be worth it. Say a soundboard recording of You love Us from Richeys last gig, if such a thing exists. Would round out CD 1 pretty well.

EDIT: & From personal experience a full singles collection is pushing into 3 cd's these days.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:32
Under neon loneliness

I hate live tracks on comps too. Unless they're comps of live tracks, of which The Clash have the best ever imo, in From Here To Eternity.
Old 01-06-2010, 21:34
Stretched out in the sun

This would be my idea of a good "ultimate compilation" for people who are just getting into the Manics to buy:

CD 1
1. Motown Junk
2. You Love Us
3. Born To End
4. Motorcycle Emptiness
5. From Despair To Where
6. Scream To A Sigh (La Tristesse Durera)
7. This Is Yesterday
8. Faster
9. Yes
10. A Design For Life
11. No Surface All Feeling
12. Removables
13. You Stole The Sun From My Heart
14. Ready For Drowning
15. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next

CD 2
1. The Masses Against The Classes
2. Found That Soul
3. Epicentre
4. Dead Martyrs
5. There By The Grace Of God
6. 1985
7. Solitude Sometimes Is
8. Send Away The Tigers
9. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
10. Jackie Collins Existential Question Time
11. Marlon J.D.
12. Peeled Apples
13. PFAYM song
14. PFAYM song
15. PFAYM song
Old 01-06-2010, 21:53
Doors slowly closing

Jeez this was hard... OK, I think this would be my pick.

Manic Street Preachers: Prologue to History
CD 1
1. A Design for Life
2. You Stole the Sun from My Heart
3. Roses in the Hospital
4. Motorcycle Emptiness
5. Kevin Carter
6. Found That Soul
7. Jackie Collins Existential Question Time
8. Faster
9. You Love Us
10. Everything Must Go
11. Your Love Alone is Not Enough
12. It's Not War Just the End of Love
13. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
14. The Masses Against the Classes
15. Motown Junk

CD 2
1. Elvis Impersonator Blackpool Pier
2. Nobody Loved You
3. Journal for Plague Lovers
4. 1985
5. Sleepflower
6. Prologue to History
7. Stay Beautiful
8. Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldf allapart
9. Intravenous Agnostic
10. Marlon JD
11. Enola / Alone
12. Sorrow 16
13. This is Yesterday
14. Send Away the Tigers
15. No Surface All Feeling

I'll probably change my mind in ten minutes.

* we both went for two 15 track CDs. Spooky.