Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37
Doors slowly closing

Re: Red Rubber: Not for the first time, I found myself impressed up until the end of the chorus. After that they gave up on the song. B-side or not, it's a shame that they continue to ruin potentially interesting songs with their laziness.

The first time the drums come in for the chorus, I'm like, 'oh, that sounds cool'. The second time, I'm like, 'really?'. Then the ending, if you can call it that, just screams 'we're bored now, let's spend another five minutes on the next b-side before going home'.

JDB can chuck out a decent verse and chorus in his sleep but his songs as a whole are just a joke to wind me up now. Clearly. All you really need are those 30-second previews. There's nothing else to see here.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:01
Bored out of my mind

I'm sure James has better things to do than wind you up Kirb. Like writing ace songs for instance!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I'm sure James has better things to do than wind you up Kirb. Like writing ace songs for instance!
And when he finished that he popped SKON off as well...
Old 05-12-2010, 12:19
Mr Msppedia

They're alright, nothing special, think I prefer the Its Not War B-sides. I don't know why they bothered with the live EP either, between the crap backing 'singers' and Ian The Tramp McCulloch the Jools Holland performance of SKON is as tuneless as they come
Old 05-12-2010, 12:31
A self-made vacuum

I need more listens but overall I prefer the INW ones. Broken Up Again is standout, though there's the odd disjointed bit in it and the vocals seem a bit muffled now and then on that song. I'm with the other comments about the unusual construction of Red Rubber being appealing and it is a good song but also that it ends too abruptly.

The rest of them are quite good; Time Ain't Nothing was ok.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:59
Desire on its knees

'red rubber' sounds like Kasabian.
Old 05-12-2010, 14:10
Doors slowly closing

All MSP B-sides sound like James recorded his guitar off a practise amp

I'd love to be able to hear Time Ain't Nothing
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 05-12-2010, 14:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Well, I've given these a couple of listens and here are some initial thoughts;
Broken Up Again, the opening reminds me of another song but I can't place it,

Your thoughts?
It sounds to me they've been listening to "Gloria" by Mando Diao for inspiration?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3NOCEKTzAU
GP
Old 05-12-2010, 14:30
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
There haven't really been many bsides since SATT...?
Including SATT.
Old 05-12-2010, 15:25
Bored of being bored

picssssssssssss guys
ps whats the signed print like?
Old 05-12-2010, 19:28
I am purity, they call me perverted

Hmm don't seem to have got the signed insert :-(
Old 05-12-2010, 19:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDelayed.com View Post
ps whats the signed print like?
Just the single cover, with the signatures on it.
Old 05-12-2010, 21:47
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Poet View Post
I find the songs so tired, uninspired and devoid of any sort of spark, much like the album. I have no desire to listen to them or the album (bar the title track, which I think is brilliant) ever again. I haven't been impressed by their b-sides since SATT really, since that period I feel they've mostly been rejects, rather than good songs which wouldn't fit on the albums.
I find it strange you would describe 'Red Rubber' in that way, as ('Auto-Intoxication' perhaps aside) it's one of the most unusual songs they've recorded structurally. Not only in terms of the different sections of the song, but the musical backing to the verse is pretty unique in their back-catalogue.

Your comment above implies that you liked the 'Lifeblood' b-sides. For me, 'Broken Up Again' would have fit quite easily on the 'Empty Souls' single - swap it for the much weaker 'All Alone Here' and no-one would bat an eye. And 'Evidence Against Myself' is not massively different to 'Quarantine', except that it has a bit more life to it.

I also find it interesting that you say you love the title track. Me too, but it's hardly anything new is it? It's just a 'Motorcycle' re-write with 'Design For Life' strings. And if you like that, I can't see the huge problem with 'Nothingness' or 'Platitudes', both of which share its gospel backing. As for uninspired...well, obviously we agree to disagree but as I've said already, 'Auto-Intoxication' is pretty different structurally if nothing else. I personally don't rank 'Postcards' as amongst their very best work - there's a few songs on it that I don't love - but when it does hit, it hits bloody hard. And I think a few of these b-sides would have improved the album no end.

A serious question: which Manics eras do you like? Only I can't remember you saying anything positive about any of them, but that might just be my rubbish memory.
Old 05-12-2010, 21:48
I live to fall asleep

Just Googled the meaning of the 'Red Rubber' lyric (yes, I am so ignorant that I didn't know). Another subject I can't imagine too many other bands writing about. Good old Wire.
Old 05-12-2010, 22:01
Bored out of my mind

I thought Red Rubber was a cover?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)