Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-12-2010, 17:57
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
...I think Golden Platitudes would do quite well actually...postcards sounds like classic manics which maybe won't draw new people in, hazelton avenue, just no.

I think get GP on radio a bit and they could do ok.
Agreed. I'm kind of surprised that so many people are pushing for the title track, I think it's the most "Manics by numbers" song on the whole album, tbh. Which I guess is why it might do okay if it's a single...

As for Hazelton, when so many fans hate it I can't see the public going crazy for it either. (But that didn't stop them from releasing Autumnsong. )
Old 17-12-2010, 18:07
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Hiroshima View Post
It's either Hazleton Avenue or Golden Platitudes. GP is kinda dated sounding, is a bit too late 1990s. But a decent video, with David Cameron and Nick Clegg impersonators having a snog (or some other well known politicians being bed-fellows) may attract some attention and ultimately airplay.
I like that idea, but it could end up not being shown, not because of the politics but because it would be two men kissing. An advert with a two men just having a quick peck was taken off air not so long ago because of complaints. Of course, the controversy would be fun...

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 17-12-2010, 18:35
I live to fall asleep

Hazleton is one of my fav tracksoff the album but don't think it'd work as a single. To be honest, the only people who are gonna buy it, whatever it will be, will be the devoted fanbase so it's kind of pointless anyway. Might as well just release The future has been here 4ever and all have a good chuckle about it! haha!
Old 17-12-2010, 19:03
An imitation of dignity

have to say that i don't care that much about which song they choose to release as they clearly aren't going to chart highly based on the fact that they have charted poorly with their first two singles after heavy, heavy promotion. more interested in hearing more b-sides. the b-sides for SKON were absolutely awesome!!
Old 17-12-2010, 19:37
Winterlover

Not Platitudes or Hazelton, I don't think either would make a good single. I say be ballsy and release Balconies.
Old 17-12-2010, 19:52
Doors slowly closing

Postcards and GP are both fine songs, but when you consider the singles they've already released from this album, especially SKON, this type of song has already been covered, or promoted, put out there, whatever you want to call it.
I don't think releasing either of those songs will give the album a significant boost in sales, nor will either of them chart well, just like the previous singles.

Releasing either of those songs might get them another slot on Strictly or another tv show in the same vein. And get a few plays on daytime radio, but that audience has already bought that album at this point surely, if they're going to?

To me it would make much more sense to target a more alternative audience and release a single that promotes the other side to the album.
Instead of aiming to get Postcards or GP played on radio 2 or daytime radio in general, release Auto-Intoxication or A Billion Balconies Facing the Sun and aim for alternative radio instead.
Old 17-12-2010, 21:09
Bored out of my mind

I don't mind which song it is as long as we get a third single!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-12-2010, 21:45
I am purity, they call me perverted

As I've said elsewhere, I'd be happy if they released another single as it would mean more b-sides, and Postcards > Platitudes!
Old 17-12-2010, 21:55
Bored out of my mind

I dunno if I can choose between GP and Postcards. Both have this gut-wrenching quality about them. Postcards with it's fighting against the world type theme and Platitudes with its looking at govermental failure type theme.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-12-2010, 22:00
I live to fall asleep

I don't really think though, that the general radio listening public would hear GB and go "Oooo nice political lyrics in this song, must buy it!" I didn't have a clue what it was about until people started saying it was about politics on here. 99.9999% of music listeners don't really listen to the lyrics or care about them, they just want to hear a good catchy song. GB is not it. It's not shit, no, but talk of it being a potential single makes me think it's April 1st.
I played JFPL earlier and damn, they should have made Peeled Apples a single, that song pulls my damn face off it rocks so much!
Old 17-12-2010, 22:04
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I played JFPL earlier and damn, they should have made Peeled Apples a single, that song pulls my damn face off it rocks so much!
Now there's an idea, PA for next single!
Old 17-12-2010, 22:04
Footprint of history

Quote:
I don't really think though, that the general radio listening public would hear GB and go "Oooo nice political lyrics in this song, must buy it!" I didn't have a clue what it was about until people started saying it was about politics on here. 99.9999% of music listeners don't really listen to the lyrics or care about them, they just want to hear a good catchy song. GB is not it. It's not shit, no, but talk of it being a potential single makes me think it's April 1st.
I'd agree with all of this, Peeled Apples my fave off JFPL
Old 17-12-2010, 22:05
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, but what we think is a good classic manics single is not the general public's idea of good. I think more people would buy GP than something we'd consider a good single.
Old 17-12-2010, 22:08
Bored out of my mind

Very true Tim!
Old 17-12-2010, 22:13
Stretched out in the sun

Gutless, you consider almost every song to be good..... hmmm.