Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-06-2020, 13:06
Knowlede Is Power

Love them both.

A triumph of art over commercial appeal.
Old 27-06-2020, 13:52
Bored out of my mind

I’ve only listened to the new songs a couple of times so far, but I quite like them. Very different and more experimental than the Manics’ recent stuff, which is no bad thing at all. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.
Old 27-06-2020, 14:01
Mr Msppedia

Album listed as out on 14th August on this Korean website https://www.genie.co.kr/detail/albumInfo?axnm=81481654
Old 27-06-2020, 14:46
I am purity, they call me perverted

Loved both, the creativity of Bradders solo and within the Manics three decades in is inspirational.

Atmospheric, eerie, melancholic - Lifeblood traces and late 70s Bowie; fine counterpoint to the accessible though very high quality of RiF - cannot wait for the album.
Old 27-06-2020, 16:54
I live to fall asleep

Great to hear new stuff. And great to hear them not making a "career" album as each album has been since SATT.

Can't wait to hear more! And buy the album!
Old 27-06-2020, 17:27
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Watched the video... I guess I will grow to like it like I do most new Manics stuff, but it doesn't seem like lead single material at all, I just felt underwhelmed and bored to be honest on first listen. I guess I liked the sombre tone, but the chorus really had nothing whatsoever, it feels a bit like a throwaway album track, but I know after multiple forced listens I will 'get it', but most people wouldn't give it a second listen.
At this point anything the manics do is just mostly playing to an established audience anyway, especially a solo record. The only people who are probably going to be interested are existing fans, or maybe people who hear about it and think it sounds like an interesting project. For both of those sets of people it makes sense to give them somthing a little bit more interesting than the typical "lead single" type of song.
Old 27-06-2020, 18:28
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
At this point anything the manics do is just mostly playing to an established audience anyway, especially a solo record. The only people who are probably going to be interested are existing fans, or maybe people who hear about it and think it sounds like an interesting project. For both of those sets of people it makes sense to give them somthing a little bit more interesting than the typical "lead single" type of song.
Also there is very little about this project to suggest it's a commercial one (both Patrick Jones' involvement and the niche subject matter suggest it's just what JDB wants to do, rather than a rather shallow money making exercise *cough GATS reissue* ). It all has a rather 'solo Gruff Rhys project' feel to it and the instrumental reminded me of Public Service Broadcasting at times so I'm very happy !

Last edited by Glyn; 27-06-2020 at 18:33.
Old 27-06-2020, 18:35
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Great to hear new stuff. And great to hear them not making a "career" album as each album has been since SATT.
Mate, this isn’t a Manics album.
Old 27-06-2020, 18:46
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Mate, this isn’t a Manics album.
Right, but it is a Manic’s album. The eternal importance of the apostrophe (how very Manics (no apostrophe))!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 27-06-2020, 19:40
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Well if still cold after hearing Searching For The Room With The Three Windows, then fair enough. But damn!
Maybe it'll grow on you? August can't come quickly enough for me.

Nicky, please keep your solo album until next year please. Let James have his moment.
Old 27-06-2020, 20:24
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
Also there is very little about this project to suggest it's a commercial one (both Patrick Jones' involvement and the niche subject matter suggest it's just what JDB wants to do, rather than a rather shallow money making exercise *cough GATS reissue* ). It all has a rather 'solo Gruff Rhys project' feel to it and the instrumental reminded me of Public Service Broadcasting at times so I'm very happy !
Didn't he play it down at the poetry thing he did? That there wouldn't be a tour or anything so no one get excited ?
Old 27-06-2020, 22:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
I see this as a good thing, i remember the criticism of postcards and the PR of "one last shot at mass communication" because it sounded desperate and forced to the eventual detriment of the album. I welcome more passion projects and not trying to make stuff they think people want but what they want, the comparison to gruff's solo stuff is a good shout (american interior).
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 27-06-2020, 23:30
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Didn't he play it down at the poetry thing he did? That there wouldn't be a tour or anything so no one get excited ?
Yeah, he was quite emphatic in saying no when asked at that event if he was going to tour it

Given what was in that NME article yesterday and what we know of James already, I think this is a passion project for him as he’s a workaholic and he wanted to give Nicky and Sean a break before the next Manics album. So I think he’ll be fully aware and ok with the fact it's mostly going to be existing Manics fans who are interested in it.
Old 28-06-2020, 00:19
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Yeah, he was quite emphatic in saying no when asked at that event if he was going to tour it

Given what was in that NME article yesterday and what we know of James already, I think this is a passion project for him as he’s a workaholic and he wanted to give Nicky and Sean a break before the next Manics album. So I think he’ll be fully aware and ok with the fact it's mostly going to be existing Manics fans who are interested in it.
I'm very bloody interested after hearing these 2 songs. Squeee
Old 28-06-2020, 01:42
I am purity, they call me perverted

I like that James is experimenting with different writing and instruments, but the first song makes me feel quite sad, that I probably wouldn't listen to it so much, even though there's a story attached. The instrumental seems more positive and upbeat and I'm sure the album will be interesting. Maybe if he then writes a musical.