Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-05-2022, 16:00
Born to end

A hunt for the sources of sourceless quotes

I'm doing a long writeup/critique of Withdrawn Traces and I'm attempting to find sources for a few of the uncited quotes and things from it. I've done pretty much all the digging I can, and I can't find these specific quotes so I'm wondering if they ring a bell for anyone here, since they certainly don't for me.

One is cited as being from No Manifesto, but isn't. It's also not from Escape From History, Freed From Memories, THB20, EMG20, JFPL making of, 98 Closeup, or Shadows & Words, or in any of the print media that's on MSPpedia. Someone did point out to me that it sounds more like James than Nicky, though. The quote is thus:
"In the 2005 documentary No Manifesto, Nicky would comment: 'Some people like chaos in their lives, and we don't. When we had Richey, Richey was chaos. A more disciplined chaos than a lot of people, but still chaos. I mean it in intellectual, nasty, brutish, tender, loving, emotional extremes all in one day syndrome.'"

One, which SHR actually asked about on here in 2017 but got no reply, is something about Nicky saying "I just hope nobody has harmed him." re: Richey at some point in 1995. It doesn't sound like the PR they were doing at the time and there weren't any interviews from the band until they started on EMG that changed from the "We don't know where he is, we just hope he gives us a call" stuff, at least that I could find.

And lastly in the book they discuss a BBC Wales/Eye On Wales segment from 1997 with Tim Rogers as presenter where he talked about missing persons and the use of CCTV in finding them. Apparently Richey's case was given as an example/discussed by the presenter and a police detective on the show. The BBC online archives don't go back that far, but also there's no full date or title of the segment given (just 1997) so mostly this one's a shot in the dark question along the lines of "does anyone even remember this."

I appreciate any help! I've found quite a few interesting sources (or shall we say "sources") that SHR seems to have used for this book, and she only cites about a quarter of the sources she used, but these ones have escaped me.

Last edited by pocketcat; 15-05-2022 at 16:14.
Old 15-05-2022, 18:31
Mr Msppedia

The BBC Radio Wales stuff you might be able to find in the National Library of Wales but a brief browse of their catalogue doesn't bring up anything close, though the descriptions are brief. Maybe it was something in Rachel's archive?

If you can find someone with an university login that has access to Box Of Broadcasts, since February/March they've had access to the whole digitised BBC Archive so it might be on there or requestable at least. Wish I still had access to it, there's a few early Manics TV & Radio appearances that have never made it to the internet
Old 18-05-2022, 08:24
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Would be very interested in the author's response to this.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 20-05-2022, 01:53
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
The BBC Radio Wales stuff you might be able to find in the National Library of Wales but a brief browse of their catalogue doesn't bring up anything close, though the descriptions are brief. Maybe it was something in Rachel's archive?

If you can find someone with an university login that has access to Box Of Broadcasts, since February/March they've had access to the whole digitised BBC Archive so it might be on there or requestable at least. Wish I still had access to it, there's a few early Manics TV & Radio appearances that have never made it to the internet
Thank you for the suggestion! I borrowed a uni login from a friend and checked it, and sadly the Box of Broadcasts doesn't seem to go back that far either. It similarly seems to stop in the early 2000s. I did do a little digging to try and figure out when Tim Rogers was working for BBC Radio Wales, and it looks like he moved to ITN in March '97, so it would have had to be before that.

That radio programme and the Nicky quote about fearing someone might have harmed Richey are the only two I've been unable to find sources for. I'm sure the radio programme exists, but I assume it wasn't archived or perhaps just hasn't yet been digitized. The quote baffles me because it sounds so unlike any other quote from the band at the time, and I can't find it in any of my searches on MSPpedia or with a uni login on ProQuest/Gale/ArticlesPlus. It's also the one I question because of SHR's post here asking for its source and the lack of response there.

(I will be posting the final writeup on my wordpress account https://jesuisgourde.wordpress.com/ when I finally finish it in the next week or two. It's much longer than anticipated but I'll make a TL;DR summary version too, I think.)

Last edited by pocketcat; 21-05-2022 at 04:04.