Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 16:42
Freed from the century

I'm so out of the loop in tracking down leaks these days.

Were you crushed, Did I rush you, All my time is yours, My twisted heart is yours, The faithless shit is yours, The shameless fits of love that only smother you for moments, Until I fold them up and leave, All yours.
Logic will break your
Old 01-04-2018, 17:41
Freed from the century

Very early days obviously but it's got a 75% so far from the initial 4 reviews needed for an average on Metacritic.

I suspect from early reports of 'fair to good' it will likely end up lower than Futurology (83%) or Rewind the Film (80%) perhaps more in line with Send Away The Tigers (69%).

http://www.metacritic.com/music/resi...reet-preachers
Old 01-04-2018, 18:18
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
Very early days obviously but it's got a 75% so far from the initial 4 reviews needed for an average on Metacritic.

I suspect from early reports of 'fair to good' it will likely end up lower than Futurology (83%) or Rewind the Film (80%) perhaps more in line with Send Away The Tigers (69%).

http://www.metacritic.com/music/resi...reet-preachers
I think it'll be mid 70s at least. The Manics are held in high regard by critics (they are good mates with a lot of the British press). And even though I'm a bit critical of it above, it is better than either RTF or Futurology which were very patchy albums and I think critics and listeners were blinded by the high concept of the writing and release of the two albums.
Old 01-04-2018, 19:01
Born to end

This has grower potential. Depends what you want or expect from a Manic Street Preachers in 2018 really! I'm definitely getting Postcards meets The Great Western vibes, definitely the latter on Sequels of Forgotten Wars. Not entirely sure a 13th Manics album is even necessary as they cemented their place in history many, many years ago, but I'll take it if it's there!
Old 01-04-2018, 19:05
Born to end

Really looking forward to this Broken Algorithms I've heard so much about. Because I heard GATS comparisons. 7/10 so far. On Hold Me Like as Heaven. Very Radio 2, but they're all 49 so what do we expect?
Old 01-04-2018, 19:24
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
I think it'll be mid 70s at least. The Manics are held in high regard by critics (they are good mates with a lot of the British press). And even though I'm a bit critical of it above, it is better than either RTF or Futurology which were very patchy albums and I think critics and listeners were blinded by the high concept of the writing and release of the two albums.
Don't agree with that at all! This album is mid-tier Manics, better than Tigers and Postcards but seems to lack that sparkle that top tier Manics has.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 01-04-2018, 19:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
Don't agree with that at all! This album is mid-tier Manics, better than Tigers and Postcards but seems to lack that sparkle that top tier Manics has.
In all sincerity, what mades RTF or Futurology top tier Manics? Both highly conceptual, but songs and production were patchy. I enjoyed the demos much more than the final songs.
Old 01-04-2018, 19:37
An imitation of dignity

Dying to hear this to be honest. Missed the now notorious amazon leak ����
Old 01-04-2018, 20:02
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
In all sincerity, what mades RTF or Futurology top tier Manics? Both highly conceptual, but songs and production were patchy. I enjoyed the demos much more than the final songs.
I just found the songs to be very strong, much more so than Postcards or most of the new one. Not really sure what was patchy with the production either, RtF in particular sounded great. Futurology's only issues were its ending, one of the bonus tracks (Empty Motorcade) should have replaced or come after Mayakovsky and Divine Youth, where the demo really was much better. RtF had an intimacy about it that I loved and Futurology just sounded exciting, bit of post punk in some of the songs, the 80s influences sounded a lot better than they do on RiF as well.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 01-04-2018, 21:26
Born to end

I'm on a low 7/10 at the moment, I can't decide whether it's a superfluous 13th Manics album too far or not. But I have felt this way about many a Manics album I've grown to love before. It just seemed to be lacking in moments I'd feel compelled to return to again and again. Though that's only after one listen admittedly. But I haven't had the sense of anticipation I normally have in the run up to it either. Most of Futurology felt necessary, I'm not sure whether this does. I will try again with fresh ears tomorrow! Most of Futurology felt necessary like it existed for a reason and was a worthwhile addition to the Manics canon, I'm don't know whether this is so long after the hits ran dry.

Last edited by Manic Street Lurker; 01-04-2018 at 21:31.
Old 01-04-2018, 21:52
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Still haven't heard it apart from the three singles, but maybe they were getting their feet under the table after moving in to a new studio? Maybe this album catches up on you and one day you wake up thinking it's brilliant?
Very heartened by responses of "Clearly takes time to get into".
I haven't had from them since Lifeblood.
"What the fuck is this Richard Nixon bollocks about? Oh it could be number 1? OK, give it another play. It still sounds like something Brian would play to a confused School Disco in 'My Parents Are Aliens'. Keep playing it. Hey, it's quite good this! Oh, it's gone to number 2 instead."
Old 02-04-2018, 12:28
Stretched out in the sun

Further to my earlier post, I’ve found myself singing “Sequels To Forgotten Wars”, “Broken Algorithms” and “In Eternity” to myself over the last 48 hours, so those have definitely solidified themselves in my brain. Along with “International Blue”, I think those will be the songs I ultimately take away from this record. The rest of them are already becoming forgettable.
Old 02-04-2018, 13:07
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Further to my earlier post, I’ve found myself singing “Sequels To Forgotten Wars”, “Broken Algorithms” and “In Eternity” to myself over the last 48 hours, so those have definitely solidified themselves in my brain. Along with “International Blue”, I think those will be the songs I ultimately take away from this record. The rest of them are already becoming forgettable.
That run of 4 songs from Sequels to Broken Algorithms is the best run of the album for me.

But yes, RiF is a grower and the melodies are sticking with me, especially People Give In at the minute.
Old 02-04-2018, 22:09
Born to end

After many times listening to the album, I think that in comparison with all their past work:
People Give In - 8/10
International Blue - 9/10
Distant Colours - 9/10
Vivian - 7.5/10
Dylan & Caitlin - 8/10
Liverpool Revisited - 8/10
Sequels of Forgotten Wars - 8/10
Hold Me Like a Heaven - 9/10
In Eternity - 9/10
Broken Algorithms - 7/10
A Song For The Sadness -7/10
The Left Behind - 7.5/10

In conclusion, I think it has a very 'Lifeblood' and EMG vibe, and the second part of the album holds it all together, which makes it great, currently sitting on 4th on my favourite Manics albums list.
Final rating: 8/10
Old 02-04-2018, 22:38
Bored of being bored

Before I talk about this, Rewind The Film and Futurology ARE great albums. They both had a bit of filler in them but overall at least 70% of the songs on the albums are quality.

I like this one. My expectations were low, but it's surprisinlgy good, and I think better than the last two. A couple of songs I don't care about, but people the sequence 1-4 and 7-10 is just great. Not crazy about the duet or liverpool revisited, song for the sadness is okay, and finally the left behind is no wattsville blues, i kinda like the way nicky sings on this one, but its a dissapointing album closer, in my opinion.

A very strong 8/10 from me. Rewind the Film and Futurology are both a good 7 in comparison. I put it up there along with SATT and PFAYM.