Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-04-2018, 00:22
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Sadly, repeated listens have just confirmed the early impressions....it sounds like a bside collection or a poor man's Postcards. I'm not sure I can even see myself listening to it much again. Which is sad, because I think International Blue is amazing. If only the album had been more like it...

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 22-04-2018, 01:28
Administrator

It makes me sad too, but it is what it is.
Old 22-04-2018, 01:50
I am purity, they call me perverted

Try demo versions, it helps.
Old 22-04-2018, 03:42
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
It makes me sad too, but it is what it is.
This joke might not stick, but at least you get three versions of International Blue, Takk.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 22-04-2018, 09:44
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Sadly, repeated listens have just confirmed the early impressions....it sounds like a bside collection or a poor man's Postcards. I'm not sure I can even see myself listening to it much again. Which is sad, because I think International Blue is amazing. If only the album had been more like it...
Really sorry to hear that such a forum legend is not digging the album!
Old 22-04-2018, 10:52
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Ah c'mon most will be like me...just needing to get their b-sides into gear

Do all these frilly formats count for the charts? Or do they just count the standard? Do many of the long standing big acts make most of their money from touring these days? With so many ways to listen to what you want when you want - Spotify, YouTube....whatever else I guess sales no longer indicate popularity...I wonder if we'll see any of the artists starting out today build a career like the manics
Just had me on the official chart rules, section 4.0 says unlimited formats count.

Often wondered what chance they'd have had if they were starting today. Course when Richey was writing letters and sending out demos and shit, it was a different world to today when anybody can send a link to anybody, most of which'll no doubt get ignored with the volume being much more now than it could've been then. They're quite an unfashionable bunch, think more so now too. Probably partly me being old too, I'm well out of touch but I just can't see where the 1990 Manics would fit in today. Not that they ever really did fit in, think they'd probably be more outsider than they were then.
Old 22-04-2018, 12:39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
This joke might not stick, but at least you get three versions of International Blue, Takk.
I might just replace every track with International Blue, I could easily listen to that over and over .
Old 22-04-2018, 12:48
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Just had me on the official chart rules, section 4.0 says unlimited formats count.

Often wondered what chance they'd have had if they were starting today. Course when Richey was writing letters and sending out demos and shit, it was a different world to today when anybody can send a link to anybody, most of which'll no doubt get ignored with the volume being much more now than it could've been then. They're quite an unfashionable bunch, think more so now too. Probably partly me being old too, I'm well out of touch but I just can't see where the 1990 Manics would fit in today. Not that they ever really did fit in, think they'd probably be more outsider than they were then.
They were a product of their times. If they were starting out today their influences would be entirely different. But Id say youre right, probably would be operating even further on the fringes than they were. Certainly would not have had the luxury of all the support they had for GT anyway.
Old 22-04-2018, 13:28
Administrator

Not sure about that - i can think of sort of similar bands that have had great label support on their debuts.
Old 22-04-2018, 13:39
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

But didn't GT cost £250k just to record? I couldn't imagine a new band having that much spent on them today...

I think much of the reason why the Manics are still going is the fact they have their own studio and in-house engineers reducing the upfront cost the publishers have to put forward for other bands.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 22-04-2018, 13:51
Doors slowly closing

All the 'what would they be like/do if they were starting today' hypotheticals are kind of impossible to solve, the band would be different to start with so they wouldn't be the same band anyway. It's like saying what would 1986 be like if it happened in 2018? What does the question even mean? It's like the Uncertainty Principle, merely asking the question means you can't be sure of the answer.

Old 22-04-2018, 15:11
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quatercircle View Post
They were a product of their times. If they were starting out today their influences would be entirely different. But Id say youre right, probably would be operating even further on the fringes than they were. Certainly would not have had the luxury of all the support they had for GT anyway.
Ah, back when people bought records

Just checking the album charts for this time in 1992, Right Said Fred were number one, been trying to find out but no joy, dunno how many copies that had to shift to get to number one in 1992. Few more than Greatest Showman, I'd expect..

Quote:
Not sure about that - i can think of sort of similar bands that have had great label support on their debuts.
Recently? Struggling to think of many off the top of me head, but I am quite out of touch.. Signing Manics in 1991 was a gamble, and with the market shrinking the way it has risks aren't going to be taken as much, play it safe, hence Ed Sheeran and Adele. Can't see anyone else getting the chance to fuck about like Happy Mondays did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
But didn't GT cost £250k just to record? I couldn't imagine a new band having that much spent on them today...

I think much of the reason why the Manics are still going is the fact they have their own studio and in-house engineers reducing the upfront cost the publishers have to put forward for other bands.
Lol did it? Yeah, wouldn't have been much of a profit margin if at all on first week's Resistance is Futile sales if it'd cost that much to record.. Aye, suspect that's a big part of why they're still going and have just had another deal, but label must know that they've still got thousands of fans who'll buy anything they do.

Quote:
All the 'what would they be like/do if they were starting today' hypotheticals are kind of impossible to solve, the band would be different to start with so they wouldn't be the same band anyway. It's like saying what would 1986 be like if it happened in 2018? What does the question even mean? It's like the Uncertainty Principle, merely asking the question means you can't be sure of the answer.
Isn't it fun to think about though?
Old 22-04-2018, 15:26
Doors slowly closing

Nope. Tried to listen to it again earlier but can't even get through it. I have no interest in this band when they're in mass communication mode. Postcards and SATT are not great but both are a lot better than this.
Old 22-04-2018, 15:59
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Isn't it fun to think about though?
Oh, sure, didn't mean to come across as too critical, don't mind me - I just find it fun thinking about the thinking about it too.

Old 22-04-2018, 17:06
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Oh, sure, didn't mean to come across as too critical, don't mind me - I just find it fun thinking about the thinking about it too.
Naaah, fair point innit and kin hell can derail a thousand times thinking about shit and thinking about thinking about shit

I wonder, if they were starting out now, how much different if at all their influenecs would be than if they were starting out. I mean, obviously everything they were influenced by then would still exist, but different time, different place is going to have an effect on your perception of the world and what makes you tick eh? Maybe they wouldn't have been as angry and alienated growing up in the mid 90s as the mid 80s. Maybe they wouldn't have heard London Calling if they weren't arond to see it coming out. What if they did have xboxes and computers? Maybe, maybe, maybe, what if, what if, what if...