Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-04-2016, 23:01
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoutus View Post
Anyone know if they did the first set as a three piece? Prob not I know due to the heavy use of strings on EMG but would love to hear a raw stripped down version on this tour.
Don't think so. Photos on Twitter show JDB playing the Enola/Alone, Everything Must Go orange Gretsch guitar with the backup behind him.
Old 19-04-2016, 00:08
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Actually, won't this be the first time YLAINE has been played in arenas? I can see it's appeal to the band from that point.
Old 19-04-2016, 00:35
Administrator

No motown junk
Old 19-04-2016, 07:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Hopefully that is just the Euro tour hits setlist. My god that is a poor second half.
Sure we've all got opinions, but after actually being there I can say there was nothing weak in the second half. Sure it was boring with Motorcycle Emptiness going into Walk Me To The Bridge going into Your Love Alone, but they sounded so incredibly good that they could've done Old McDonald Had A Farm and it'd been pretty perfect.

For the first time ever I even enjoyed Suicide Is Painless, which is a horribly boring song by my standards. And Roses In The Hospital, oh my god! I've only heard it on YouTube at the 02 and it sounded awful - which was sad as the song's in my MSP top5, but last night it had a real good kick to it.
Old 19-04-2016, 08:37
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Hopefully that is just the Euro tour hits setlist. My god that is a poor second half.
Also seems short to me, bearing in mind EMG is only 45 minutes.
Old 19-04-2016, 10:21
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvidg View Post
Sure we've all got opinions, but after actually being there I can say there was nothing weak in the second half. Sure it was boring with Motorcycle Emptiness going into Walk Me To The Bridge going into Your Love Alone, but they sounded so incredibly good that they could've done Old McDonald Had A Farm and it'd been pretty perfect.

For the first time ever I even enjoyed Suicide Is Painless, which is a horribly boring song by my standards. And Roses In The Hospital, oh my god! I've only heard it on YouTube at the 02 and it sounded awful - which was sad as the song's in my MSP top5, but last night it had a real good kick to it.
No, you are entirely right.

I'm just being a keyboard warrior. The experience of seeing the Manics, especially in your own country, is unique and unforgettable.

But it's just when you see the titles in a list like that you think about what they could play rather than the power of actually being there and experiencing what they do play.
Old 19-04-2016, 10:23
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvidg View Post

Of course I haven't been there, but I think this is always a good point - on the night of the gig it's very often much more about how the band play and in what kind of venue, rather than what. I have heard them play Ready For Drowning, and it was a disappointment. And I have been to small, sweaty Euro gigs where they played nothing but hits, and walked out with a big smile, not knowing why on earth You Stole The Sun or YLAINE would make feel so good...
It's easy to judge a setlist from an armchair, and I think a setlist like this was everything that was to be expect from an EMG gig, especially abroad, except for it being a bit short, maybe. Of course I would also hope for an actual rarity or two for the UK and especially Swansea, but the Manics are - and always have been - a band of crowdpleasers, and for such a mainstream venture as this tour they were hardly going to play Dead Trees and Traffic Island for their first (and probably last!) ever solo show in Estonia.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 19-04-2016, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Plus the set-list has a "Together Stronger" shaped hole. Looks like I'm going to have to sit through another one off McCullough duet then!

And thanks for the update!
As an Englishman in London l could really do without a song in support of the Welsh Football team at The Royal Albert Hall, l hope they appreciate that, imagine World ln Motion or Vindaloo in Cardiff!
Old 19-04-2016, 14:53
Stretched out in the sun

Google Translate is having a good day with its review.

Manic Street Preachers is walesilaisbändi, consisting of one over-age punks, one virkamiesrumpalista and one rowing boat pin.

The band sometimes had a fourth member, but he disappeared twenty years ago (1995), and has not yet appeared in their dens.

Not seen him either yesterday's gig in Tallinn.

Helsing Manic Street Preachers occur until tomorrow, Wednesday. Guess the way, in either of the more expensive tickets, Tallinn or Helsinki?

There is much more, but I am wondering what is a virkamiesrumpalista?
Old 19-04-2016, 15:03
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
As an Englishman in London l could really do without a song in support of the Welsh Football team at The Royal Albert Hall, l hope they appreciate that, imagine World ln Motion or Vindaloo in Cardiff!
It'll be grand, as an Irishman living in London. London is the capital of the UK not just England. We all have to put up with English centrism for most of the time, three and half minutes of a Manics set isn't going to hurt anyone especially when they'll never play it again.

I hope they won't have to include trigger warnings for England supporters who'll turn on their team the minute they concede a goal. I suppose Nicky will now have to adorn the Union Jack across his amp instead instead of the red dragon when they leave Wales.

Let's start a petition, An English Gentleman to be played during the second set for all English dates!

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 19-04-2016 at 15:06. Reason: To be extra facetious
Old 19-04-2016, 15:14
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
I am wondering what is a virkamiesrumpalista?
Well, "virkamies" means something like public officer in Finnish (https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/virkamies), and "rumpali" means drummer! Now I am wondering what this is supposed to mean. Perhaps that Sean is a very professional drummer?
Old 19-04-2016, 15:20
Stretched out in the sun

I gathered that James was the rowing boat pin, Nicky the overage punk and that left Sean as the vir-whatever. LOL.

The entire review (I don't know who wrote it and just found it on the Manics Twitter page):

Manic Street Preachers is walesilaisbändi, consisting of one over-age punks, one virkamiesrumpalista and one rowing boat pin.

The band sometimes had a fourth member, but he disappeared twenty years ago (1995), and has not yet appeared in their dens.

Not seen him either yesterday's gig in Tallinn.

Helsing Manic Street Preachers occur until tomorrow, Wednesday. Guess the way, in either of the more expensive tickets, Tallinn or Helsinki?

Yep yep.

Manics now orbit 20 years ago appeared a classic album Everything Must Go's inspired, which meant yesterday in Tallinn, too, unfortunately, is that the entire pancake kärvisteltiin through from beginning to end before we reached the real hit a couple of rallies.

Walesilaiskörmyt these hits have been lathed over the years, a surprising slant stack: is If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will be Next and Your Love Alone Is Not Enough and Motorcycle Emptiness and a couple of other things.

But first, yesterday took over the thus far be it from Everything Must Go.

Can not claim to say that siltäkin found a couple of valid viisua, especially as Design For Life, but on the whole, however, it is so dull vingutusta that peg leg gonna go dead while listening to it.

Fortunately, Nordea Kontserdimaja two bar were open the whole time gig. What could they lie in wait were at the monitoring stations.

It is not clear yes denial, say that the rowing boat pin, singer-guitarist James Dean Bradfield subjects, it would be a hard work ethic.

Ukko is a strong singer, but a mediocre musician, but so he just got in Tallinn both the audience over with rehdillä laborer attitude and sweaty armpits.

Assertiveness he did not intervene. This man would certainly work as sweeper at work and while driving, but only now is he time has come to such a big bow in the image of the band.

Guess which of these in more expensive tickets?

Isous marked the last night all the more that the songs passed on to hae laveana äänimattona and thick syntikkaverhon fanfare. It was so handsome translucent in some places, the back hair rose up pörrölle ass.

Bradfield, therefore, it is the pin, frolic around the stage like a spring foal ever considered. Nearly two-meter kojoottimainen bassist Nicky Wire, in turn, rock star Chloe chuckled and rear kajalilla töhrittyjen brows.

The drummer Sean Moore kolisutteli jug from a metronome places, and with equal enthusiasm.

In between would have liked to visit and inspect, whether he is awake even.

Wire the other hand, would have liked to go breathalyzed.

Pick-by Arrangement rounded out the platform on the left side norkoilleet two complement a man who spent most of their time completely inactive.

However, this Urkumies reached this hammond tiluttelemaan the temperance pledge made the cantor ever considered.

The fact that the Manic Street Preachers size pump enters the Tallinn throw 2000 on a partial show a human, is a phenomenon of our time.

Audio-called plastic or vinyyliriekaleet no longer be sold, so the bands have to rake in the dough to acquire touring - and more smaller arenas are accepted.

T24 bet that the Manic Street Preachers made a gig in Tallinn accounts 70 000 - 80 000 euros, minus expenses, and no more.

Towards the end of yesterday's gig the audience began to warm to the point that between it and Bradfield began to emerge almost dialogue.

her encore did not come off.

Someone could ask in passing, Brad Field, all the more that the reason why working class roots proud of the band will perform at juurikin Nordea concert hall - veroparatiisikohussa wallowed Nordea should now be a great Satan entire working population of the world?

But perhaps the Tallinn community hall was already booked for a Monday evening?

Manic Street Preachers yesterday's show was all in all a tight band traction pleasant and satisfying. Helsinki will be like a great evening tomorrow, Wednesday.

These songs were heard yesterday in Tallinn:
1. Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier
2. A Design for Life
3. Kevin Carter
4. Enola / Alone
5. Everything Must Go
6. Small Black Flowers That Grow in the Sky
7. The Girl Who Wanted to Be God
8. removables
9. Australia
10. Interiors (Song for Willem de Kooning)
11. Further Away
12. No Surface All Feeling
13. Suicide Is Painless (Theme From MASH)
14. Motorcycle Emptiness
15. Walk Me to the Bridge
16. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
17. Ocean Spray
18. You Stole The Sun From My Heart
19. Roses in the Hospital
20. Some Kind of Nothingness
21. You Love Us

Last edited by Frozendiva; 19-04-2016 at 15:38.
Old 19-04-2016, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer eyes View Post
Well, "virkamies" means something like public officer in Finnish (https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/virkamies), and "rumpali" means drummer! Now I am wondering what this is supposed to mean. Perhaps that Sean is a very professional drummer?
Sean used to work as a civil servant so from that point of view it does make sense!
Old 19-04-2016, 15:35

Sorry to be negative but if this is the setlist for Helsinki I'll be disappointed. I have no doubt they did a great gig in Tallinn, but there's no denying the fact that the second half isn't what was promised.
Old 19-04-2016, 16:09
Knowlede Is Power

"...that peg leg gonna go dead while listening to it" is the best thing ever written about the Manics, anywhere, ever.