Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-02-2018, 17:33
Doors slowly closing

Listened a few times. Definite grower. It certainly isn't as 'immediate' as International Blue' but I'm fine with that.

I think it does sound like a B-side. And I'm fine with that too. Again and again (and also again) fans have said 'this band has amazing B-sides that should have been singles!' So here you go, this is one! It has that classic Manics thing of 'the words don't really fit like tha---aat' that seems wrong on first listen but then after a few times seems completely normal.

Anyway, Manics 'B-side' > most other bands A-sides. And I know there's a (actually small but very hyped) vinyl revival, but who cares about B-sides or A-sides nowadays anyway. At the end of the day it's another new Manics song. I like it!

Edit: LOVE the video.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 16-02-2018 at 17:42.
Old 16-02-2018, 17:36
I live to fall asleep

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...e-new-14298027
Old 16-02-2018, 18:22
I am purity, they call me perverted

I love it. I like the sentiment in the chorus, it's one I find myself thinking of quite often. Do we live in a flashback? Feels like one, with all the sepia tinged sadness -- except that there's everything to fear.

The verses are really pretty and nicely sparse. I like that Futurology / Lifeblood style electronic sound to the drums, the snares especially have a gorgeous lightness to them. Sean Moore is so tasteful and clever at producing his percussion at this point, every song has a different drum sound. The bass too is nice and liquid. There are some electronic bass elements I think. The verses have a Futurology feel to them for me, whereas the chorus goes more SATT / PFAYM but not all the way there.

I feel this is shaping up to be a mix of the excellent RTF / Futurology expansiveness and mild electronica, with SATT and PFAYM woohoo big chorus populism. I disliked the latter but love the former, the mix of the two is surprisingly fresh.

International Blue didn't have me as excited, this does.

One thing though -- I would *love* both songs with guitars sounding like 1985, instead of Gold Against The Soul gibson throwbacks. More glacial, but hey -- at this point, who the fuck cares? JDB sounds great, the music is really emotional and sort of banks in on JDB's War on Drugs hots too. Incorporates new ideas and feels like an approaching of an event It's unbelievable that they're still doing this and saying things I feel I need to hear from them.

The Mighty Manic Street Preachers.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 16-02-2018 at 18:26.
Old 16-02-2018, 19:15
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Loved the filmic opening and closing segments. The song itself is repetitive and feels totally hollow, worried RIF is going to be another SATT.
Old 16-02-2018, 19:25
Bored of being bored

I love both the song and the video
Old 16-02-2018, 19:29
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
Apparently the lyrics were written by James. Explains why they're a bit different to Wire's style and why it sounds like a TGW song. I actually prefer his lyrics. Wish he would just do another bloody solo album!
Building a lyric around the repeated use of massive cliches which have been over-used by every mediocre songwriter ever is never a good idea, for me.

I was listening to it earlier and I was starting to get into the final section where the guitars give it a bit more 'oomph' and the strings hit and just as I was preparing to go with it...James sang 'Won't you tell me that you love me / Tell me what I wanna hear' and it crashed and burned. I like the Manics because they *don't* write generic crap like that.
Old 16-02-2018, 19:37
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Nice big choruses. Dull video again apart from seeing the band playing. Hope there's some more gritty stuff on the album. I reckon that'll be it now for singles, so that's the summary basically for the album, two poppy shiny tracks that are pretty decent but nothing amazing. I think IB is better than this, but then I've obviously listened to it more than this. Good stuff, though, but doubt it'll push any sales or get air play, etc
Nah, there'll be at least one more single, maybe a week before the album? Nick said the reason International Blue was released so early is because they had so many songs they wanted to be singles (I doubt that is the reason - Plan B did the same with the first single from his new album, it seems like a new release strategy). So I doubt by that he meant 'one more'.

These days putting a song out for the radio and online video channels is much more important than actually selling them in terms of singles - see Rewind The Film, Manorbier and Europa Geht Durch Mich which all had videos of sorts but weren't actually 'singles'. So I'm pretty sure there'll be at least two more songs released with videos, even if not to actually be bought separately - although I always welcome E.P.s, even digital-only ones!
Old 16-02-2018, 20:03

Oh my god, it’s not an amazing, blow me away, fuck you, back to their former glory days single...... they have written a nice, clean simple song that makes me feel warmth and love for a few minutes and then forget. Thanks. I love you. X
Old 16-02-2018, 20:09

My love is unconditional, my hate is yours to feed upon...... having been band from this forum originally for my very first and sarcastic post i rejoined a year later........ I have never contributed meaningfully to this forum however have enjoyed reading for many many years. I feel all grown up now and don’t think I need to be a voyeur anymore. Goodnight and god bless....... I don’t need this. Peace love. Xx the new single is great. Fuck you all.
Old 16-02-2018, 20:15

Eermmm.......ok..... how do I delete my account other than sign out. Ha
Old 16-02-2018, 20:17

This is awkward..... anyone help me? I want to go. Moderators.......
Old 16-02-2018, 20:20

http://doowikis.com/m/73gxjKDSYl
Old 16-02-2018, 20:21

Cmon..... someone help me...put me out of my misery. I feel empowered and up for this. I want to permanently go.......
Old 16-02-2018, 20:33

And... I'm not allowed to hear the song because I happen to be a Manics fan in The States.
What a bunch of crap this territorial nonsense is.
Like, why would they even block it here? What is the point in doing so?

It's on spotify, but it doesn't allow me to play the song. Oh well, guess I'll just wait for the record I pre-ordered to arrive...
Old 16-02-2018, 21:13
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Building a lyric around the repeated use of massive cliches which have been over-used by every mediocre songwriter ever is never a good idea, for me.

I was listening to it earlier and I was starting to get into the final section where the guitars give it a bit more 'oomph' and the strings hit and just as I was preparing to go with it...James sang 'Won't you tell me that you love me / Tell me what I wanna hear' and it crashed and burned. I like the Manics because they *don't* write generic crap like that.
Agree with this. Lyrics by numbers, I'm sorry to say. And believe me, I am very willing to let any of the band's songs grow on me.

The big guitar solo, as in every Manics track, was a bit good though.