Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-11-2012, 06:07
Doors slowly closing

well, my refund is in my account. owing to the vagaries of the exchange rate system, i seem to have profited by a pound on the whole deal. would have rather had the set, but such is life.

will order the 2CD, 1DVD set from someone that ships such things properly.
blog
Old 21-11-2012, 09:19
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Got my copy (finally) today. Only the normal 2CD+DVD edition - the super special edition ran out before I managed to decide whether I wanted to spend additional money for one really interesting CD and a lot of stuff I didn't want/need. The remastering work is stellar, the demos disc is great (I actually think the version of Spectators of Suicide there might be my favourite version of the song), the doc is good and I've generally really began to appreciate the era with this. I've always really liked the album and I already had a "well, this is actually genuinely really bloody good" moment with it earlier this year but all this stuff has really made me appreciate the whole era, made it another interesting chapter in the band's history. I love what the liner note essay hints about the album: that its flaws and failures are a part of why it's so loveable. Hell, I may have just began to accept that Crucifix Kiss has some good musical ideas, even if its lyrics are some of the band's very worst and it's generally the album's weakest cut beyond the Repeat remix. Basically, it's reminded me again why this band is important to me and made me feel like a giddy fan.

Could've done with some further liner notes (tho all the MSP re-releases have been more picture-heavy so it's not like this is out of the line, I just like text), gutted about missing out on the 3rd CD and really wish I had that instead of the DVD which I'll probably never play now that I've watched the documentary and I can think of some stuff I would have loved to have seen as extras (ME 2003, the US mixes), but other than that I'm very happy. I really hope we get something like this for each album, even if some of them might not be as 'important' to the band or to the public - they're great little archives of Manics history.
"Crucifix Kiss" has always been amazing.
Old 21-11-2012, 15:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
"Crucifix Kiss" has always been amazing.
Crucifix Kiss is definitely a brilliant track in every way
Old 21-11-2012, 16:50
Winterlover

If by 'brilliant' you mean 'utterly average and lacking in a memorable tune outside the alright chorus, with lyrics so embarrasingly bad you wish the song was an instrumental', then yeah.
Old 21-11-2012, 17:21
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
If by 'brilliant' you mean 'utterly average and lacking in a memorable tune outside the alright chorus, with lyrics so embarrasingly bad you wish the song was an instrumental', then yeah.
One of the better tracks on GT if I am honest and the lyrics are great. I prefer it over ME.
Old 21-11-2012, 17:39
I live to fall asleep

Crucifix kiss is my fav not single song of GT. Tbh I like it more than most of the single.
Old 21-11-2012, 17:58
Doors slowly closing

Bit late on this as only just got round to watching the DVD. Is that Richey playing during the gig footage/soundcheck or a backing guitar track James has done? If Richey, not bad going for him...although he was very quiet so couldn't tell properly! Not sure about James' red cap, Fred Durst before Fred Durst was popular. James' playing is almost as good as it is now, Nicky does good as well considering he spends most of the time prancing about. All in all, they didn't seem that much different back then to the band we have today!
Old 21-11-2012, 18:13
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
One of the better tracks on GT if I am honest and the lyrics are great. I prefer it over ME.
Crucifix Kiss is ace.
Old 21-11-2012, 19:15
Winterlover

Aye, always been a favourite of mine. Great song, at least top three for me.
Old 21-11-2012, 19:39
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
well, my refund is in my account. owing to the vagaries of the exchange rate system, i seem to have profited by a pound on the whole deal. would have rather had the set, but such is life.

will order the 2CD, 1DVD set from someone that ships such things properly.
Oh no, what a pity. I hope you find a copy on ebay at a good price. So now according to my calculation M0drnmoonlight is the only one waiting for his/her copy (plus Bachelorette and sore&crucified in the UK).

My copy is still on the shelf. I didn't give up the strike!
Old 21-11-2012, 19:43
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
Now I don`t know if I should buy it by myself or will my parents buy it for me for Christmas. like seriously, who the hell got this idea of getting gifts for Christmas? Why won`t we buy our dream gifts by ourselves?
Good idea. This is exactly what I do.
Old 21-11-2012, 19:51
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic pilgrim View Post
Oh no, what a pity. I hope you find a copy on ebay at a good price. So now according to my calculation M0drnmoonlight is the only one waiting for his/her copy (plus Bachelorette and sore&crucified in the UK).

My copy is still on the shelf. I didn't give up the strike!
Aaah, what a lovely person you are for remembering our toils! Actually, after huge amounts of email tantrums and threats of legal action, my replacement copy turned up on Monday. It's early Christmas at the bachelorette pad, so to say!

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 21-11-2012, 19:57
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
Aaah, what a lovely person you are for remembering our toils! Actually, after huge amounts of email tantrums and threats of legal action, my replacement copy turned up on Monday. It's early Christmas at the bachelorette pad, so to say!
I am very happy for you. Enjoy it!
Old 21-11-2012, 21:30
Builder of routine

It's a bit of a shame they didn't make the vinyl booklet out of thicker paper. It's going to be so easy to crease. I'm not a fan of the thin paper inserts either. You pay a price for weightier vinyl it seems.
Old 21-11-2012, 21:39
Knowlede Is Power

I got back from Boston Monday and my boxed set was here! So it must have arrived between Thursday and Saturday.

Thankfully, everything is intact. The print won't lay flat, but I'm sure pressing it under something heavy will fix it.

Starstruck, I'm really sorry about yours You were able to get a refund, it sounds like?