Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-10-2016, 21:09
Doors slowly closing

A bit of Cardiff would be nice
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 19-10-2016, 22:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

I really enjoyed this tonight. The footage was really raw and I had goosebumps during Yes and Intense Humming of Evil. Great shots of the fans, the Dave Eringa mix was powerful and exactly how I remember the sound to be at the Manchester date (though the recording was from London). Apparently he shot the footage at 10 shows?

In the Q+A Kieran confirmed he doesn't have any plans to release a dvd (he thinks due to lack of demand/cost of production) and he only agreed to show the film today as Huw Stephen asked him to do something Swn festival this weekend (he also showed a film at the first Swn fest so they are good friends).

He did mention there maybe a showing in Manchester (or something along those lines), nothing confirmed. I think he is probably waiting for someone else (like Huw) to invite him to bring the film elsewhere.

If there was to be a release I think they should do it as a freebie, perhaps on the next tour? Not a big packaged thing, that would suit the film. I'm sure the band have made enough on the last few tour to get some copies knocked out cheap. It was fun but I wouldn't pay much for a dvd release.
Old 20-10-2016, 00:30
Winterlover

The title screen has the extra full stop... who knew!

I really enjoyed it as well, probably the first time i've seen live footage of them that has captured the energy of their gigs (or at least come as close as possible) and i would put that down to the audience being an integral part of it. There seemed to be as much footage of them as of the band and there are some great reaction shots in there, you think - "yes, that's exactly how it feels". It felt intimate as well which i liked and cutting in the audience when james let them sing was a great choice. I liked the closeups of sean through the drum kit, he's like a machine. Made me kinda regret not going to any of those shows, it felt like a celebration. Also sounded superb, i'd like the whole film but i'd be happy with just the audio.

The chat with kieran evans afterwards was very interesting as well, i had no idea he was at one of the astoria gigs in 94. Can't imagine what it must feel like to have been a fan to now be making their films. Some good questions but what was that idiot at the back on about? He had a bee in his bonnet about something but for the life of me i couldn't work out what.

The 3 music videos he made for rewind the film were shown in chronological order under the title stories of the valley which was an unusual choice coming before the fire and brimstone of thb but they did look great on the big screen with those stunning time lapses of the rhondda. It is effective if taken on its own as a little trilogy of stories though, showing the valleys in it's prime, during the mining crisis and the present with its dilapidated social clubs and a couple of relics of the pits that are now museum pieces. It was quite moving.

Quote:
Apparently he shot the footage at 10 shows?
Yeah, that's what i heard him say when asked by price. Surprised me that, it did a good job of seeming like one date.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 14-04-2017 at 18:33.
Old 20-10-2016, 08:02
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
No idea when I'll ever see it in full. Really hope SkyArts shows an interest.
They could do a run with this film before "Escape From History".
That way it could been shown in countries the band found too expensive to play.
But then I remember my faith in the quality of the films could be greater than the programming intellect from Sky Arts!

I'm sure we had more people saying they could make the screening. Keep memories of things coming. Very basic film by the sound of it. Just make a soundtrack and edit the pictures from the footage over the music. Basic as in basic filmmaking as opposed to music and musicianship!
A local studio near the Ferry are doing something similar with that The Wall I filmed a few months ago.
Only the fact they took small shots is brilliant. I'd love to do that for a band.
But at least their soundtrack doesn't have the sounds of audience laughing at the band during "Mother"!

Is the film in an enclosed building the whole time? I would of put shots of local landmarks and end with a clip of Cardiff Castle. Not a deal breaker, in fact I'd take Kieran's deal over anything I've got!
Old 20-10-2016, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Is the film in an enclosed building the whole time? I would of put shots of local landmarks and end with a clip of Cardiff Castle. Not a deal breaker, in fact I'd take Kieran's deal over anything I've got!
The film starts with the credits and title then goes straight into the set. There are no shots of local landmarks because it was filmed all over the place and Cardiff wasn't one of the gigs. Kieran did slag off the bbc footage of Cardiff Castle a little bit, just because it was shot how they shoot festivals like Glastonbury. Not as fitting as his film. The film was simple, but it sounds like it was hard to put together. I know he referenced old Sex Pistol and Buzzcocks live shows, defiantly capture the simplicity of that era of rock filming. B'dum B'dum and Sex Pistols at Winterlands springs to mind. Perhaps a bit of the intensity of the Stooges at Cincinnati pop festival? Maybe?
Old 20-10-2016, 18:54
I live to fall asleep

So was it a live concert of all the HB songs, filmed from various gigs, showing the fans singing half of the time?
Sounds to strange that this will most likely never be seen by anyone ever again now. Oh well. So what's this other Manics documentary he's filmed but we know little to nothing about it? Wasn't that due out this year??
Old 20-10-2016, 20:05
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
So was it a live concert of all the HB songs, filmed from various gigs, showing the fans singing half of the time?
Sounds to strange that this will most likely never be seen by anyone ever again now. Oh well. So what's this other Manics documentary he's filmed but we know little to nothing about it? Wasn't that due out this year??
The audio was from the final Roundhouse gig. The footage was assembled from 10 of the winter tour dates, if I got it right. For example, the drumming you see during one song may be shot at gig a, but James' bits (hihi!) are from gig b, and the audience from c, Wire from d or any of the previous ones. While the audio is from a completely different gig, or incidentally the same. Total anarchy! Well, IF I got it right. It was beautiful to watch, but a little confusing.
I think it's quite sad that it may well never be shown again, as I really liked the gritty way it was filmed and the way the song quotes were used to introduce the songs instead of song titles. Plus, knowing that they have this amazing mix of the final Roundhouse gig, while we/I only have a mediocre bootleg... (No offence to the lovely taper who made this available, may he/she be eternally blessed!!).
The other documentary apparently goes way beyond what we have seen or heard in the documentary in the EMG20 boxset and will be aired sometime later this air on Sky Arts. I am not holding my breath, though.
edit: this year, not air. braindead!

Livet δr kort, fφr kort fφr att slφsas bort
Lδmna hatet εt gamanar

Last edited by bachelorette; 20-10-2016 at 20:08. Reason: airheadedness
Old 14-04-2017, 13:13

Any news/word of a DVD/blu-ray release for this? A CD/record release?
Old 23-01-2019, 10:40

Is this available to watch anywhere?!?

2005 FD Manics Tribute Album (WIP!)
Yes - 4st7lbs - Revol - Found That Soul - This is Yesterday - Motorcycle Emptiness - She is Suffering - Faster
Old 23-01-2019, 13:15
I live to fall asleep

No, it's not.

They should stream it on youtube. Truth and Memory was a great success.
Old 23-01-2019, 13:40
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
No, it's not.

They should stream it on youtube. Truth and Memory was a great success.
Maybe someone should ask Kieran on Twitter if it is a possibility? Seems like a terrible waste otherwise.
Old 23-01-2019, 16:45
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Probably a license issue. Sony would probably pull it down with copyright claim.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 23-01-2019, 17:44

Would be great if he tried Kickstarter or Pledgemusic or something like that to release this. That way it would get to the fans. Hopefully the band might surprise us one day and release the audio to us. Shame to have it mixed professionally and not release it for everyone. Maybe we can dream for it to be included with the 50th Anniversary release or something.
Old 12-10-2019, 23:59
Freed from the century

Surprised this hasn’t been addressed but looks like some sort of release is coming. Or maybe some more showings. I suppose it ties in nicely with a 25th anniversary of that 1994 tour. Does anyone know which dates were filmed? I was at the Barrowlands gig which was the first of the tour and was outstandingly sublime.
Old 14-10-2019, 11:12
Freed from the century

Currently at work trying to not tip my desk over in excitment, tear off all my clothes and run around the office screaming "MAN KILLS EVERYTHING!!!" in everyones face.

Knowing my luck, I won't be able to go to any of the showings!