Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 16-06-2020, 15:10
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
Just got my notification too. The new date is Glastonbury weekend, not that I would be going.

Entirely as expected. I work in the business and I can't see live music returning in any significant way this year
Out of interest, with your inside knowledge, when do you think live music will be feasible again? I’ve read articles suggesting not until autumn 2021, do you think that’s reasonable?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:57
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflower View Post
Out of interest, with your inside knowledge, when do you think live music will be feasible again? I’ve read articles suggesting not until autumn 2021, do you think that’s reasonable?
Sorry for the slow response. Busy trying to keep my venues going...

I would say autumn 21 is (hopefully) pessimistic. I think outdoor will be back first, then seated, then standing, but who knows. You may have seen a five point plan for a return to live music / theatre published by DCMS recently. It is basically a plan for how to safely rearrange the deckchairs on the Titanic. Useless without dates.

We have full diaries for gigs in Spring 21 but hat means nothing. We had full diaries in Spring 20...

Look out for a campaign on social media tomorrow ]#letthemusicplay it's the biggest campaign to date lobbying the government for action. Tweet about the last gig you went to. If that's your thing ;-)
Old 01-07-2020, 16:39
Bored of being bored

Hey no worries, fully understand how busy you must be and thanks for the response! I hope you’re right that autumn next year is pessimistic and we can have at least some outdoor or seated gigs before then.

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for that campaign, I can retweet my blog post about my last pre-lockdown gig (the Lounge Kittens in Feb!)
Old 22-02-2021, 17:24
Bored of being bored

If my understanding of today's announcement is correct....

Large Events can resume in the UK 21st June.

Manics scheduled to play Halifax Piece Hall 27th June.

Oh yes!
Old 22-02-2021, 19:26
Builder of routine

Edit : changing comment cos I thought social distancing in some form would still be in place but "full crowds" doesn't sound like it. Fingers crossed !

Last edited by hummingbird; 23-02-2021 at 12:22.
Old 23-02-2021, 20:52
Bored of being bored

Investigating further, the Piece hall schedule is three gigs a weekend for three weeks, for which I'd assume they'd set up the stage, etc and keep it in place for the full run to save on costs, etc.

The first trio of gigs (Nile Rodgers, Doves, The Cribs) falls on the 18th-20th of June i.e. before the 21st June deadline. In an ideal world they'd just be shoved to the weekend afterwards, but in reality other commitments may prohibit that.

Would only having six gigs instead of nine make a difference to the feasibility of running the events? Will venues be happy having expensive events running so close to the proposed date knowing it could be shifted back by the government at any moment. Who can really say....
Old 24-02-2021, 12:07
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I think it's probably about 50/50 this would go ahead. I wouldn't blame promoters for not trusting the government's timeline given the track record and there's been a lot of talk about Vaccine passports lately. It seemed like a week ago, there was no possibility of them coming in, and now it seems like you might need one to enter any pub or restaurant. At the moment, social distancing is not ending on June 21st so this may scuttle planning of large events at least in the short term.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 26-02-2021, 22:09
Knowlede Is Power

anyone think this will still go ahead....if all being well possible but im sure Manics or Promoters are gonna push it back it September

Chelsmford V99
Reading + Leeds 2001
Manchester Apollo 2001
Manchester MEN (Hits)2002
Manchester MEN 2004
Preston guildhall 2005
Winter WonderLand 2006
Gmex 2007
Blackburn St George 2010
Ritz Manchester 2014
Cardiff Castle 2015
SWANSEA LIBERTY 2016
Times Square 2017
Manchester arena 2018
Halifax Piece Hall 2021

Old 28-02-2021, 15:54
Bored of being bored

If Reading festival can go ahead then I'm sure this will at some point. It'll be interesting to see how the first gigs roll out, with some people likely to be nervous about being around so many people. I'm guessing that people will be more comfortable with outdoor rather than indoor concerts initially, but who will take the plunge and risk doing the first big gig, with uncertainty about how many people will attend will be interesting to see.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:13
I live to fall asleep

So it's now moved to September. I looked to see how much tickets are, £49.50! I've been saying for a year now basically that I want to get to more concerts and events after the awful time we've gone through but that's a lot of money. Sure I paid a little over £30 last time I saw them in 2018? I'll think about it. Will be strange to be around a crowd again, not entirely sure I'll be 100% comfortable but we'll see.
Old 08-03-2021, 17:17
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
So it's now moved to September. I looked to see how much tickets are, £49.50! I've been saying for a year now basically that I want to get to more concerts and events after the awful time we've gone through but that's a lot of money. Sure I paid a little over £30 last time I saw them in 2018? I'll think about it. Will be strange to be around a crowd again, not entirely sure I'll be 100% comfortable but we'll see.
Ah, but you'll hopefully get to hear new material?
Old 11-03-2021, 17:29
Bored of being bored

Are we expecting them to perform any new material? Looking at the dates planned for the summer it looks mostly like festivals (plus the Green Day support which presumably will be rearranged), so I'd expect mostly greatest hits (plus an album track or two from GATS and KYE seeing as they'll have been reissued since the last dates.

If a new album is imminent I'd expect them to hold off playing it till a winter/spring tour, then keep on performing it through the Killers support shows.
Old 27-03-2021, 12:23
Bored of being bored

I see the Anchoress has been added to the support acts... what duets do you reckon we'll have?
Old 10-05-2021, 19:36
I live to fall asleep

Just booked tickets for me and my brother. Expensive but it'll be something to look forward do. We'll stop over in Halifax and make a full day of it, have some fun after the last crappy 15/16 months.
Old 03-08-2021, 15:41
I live to fall asleep

I just got an email saying to attend this gig you need to show proof of a test or double vaccine jab through some app or something but my phone's ancient and crap basically, so can I just show the little cardboard card I was given at the time that has my name and name of vaccine I had and the two dates written on? Typical pessimistic me I'm gonna be worried now until the moment I get in that they'll stop me entering and I'll have wasted money on buying a ticket even I've been double jabbed since April