Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-09-2012, 06:28
Footprint of history

They have always come across pretentious and snobbish to a Pleb like meself!!
Old 24-09-2012, 09:37
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
They have always come across pretentious and snobbish to a Pleb like meself!!
Not stopped you listening to them though!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 24-09-2012, 18:06
Footprint of history

Well I still play my Gary Glitter records and he's a Paedo
Old 24-09-2012, 18:19
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Well I still play my Gary Glitter records and he's a Paedo
That's not cos you've been thinking he's a paediatrician is it?

By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 24-09-2012, 18:52
Footprint of history

I think I can live with differences politically between me and some musicians, as long as it's not too obnoxious. Same with religion, I like quite a lot of songs which are almost certainly religious but which aren't completely and obnoxiously in my face (and I don't mean songs which don't mention God, I like some which do). I wonder if I was a rightwinger with such views would I find the Manics too obnoxious?
Old 24-09-2012, 19:16
Administrator

Nah, archives of pain and ifwhiteamerica.
Old 24-09-2012, 19:19
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
But unless you sit and study the lyrics you would'nt know what James is singing about. I still have no idea to this day
Old 24-09-2012, 19:40
I live to fall asleep

Location: Alone in a godless universe and out of shake 'n vac
Quote:
Ifwhiteamerica is clearly satirical and sung from an opposing perspective, hence the end where it's "and we say there's not enough black in the union jack"
Archives is a different question, but i wouldn't say it's a clear-cut "we believe in this." It's also authoritarian, rather than right-wing.

My ex was a Tory and he hated them.

Also, Sue, there's nothing wrong with GG. No-one expects you not to listen to MJ, or The Who. Plus Rock n Roll Part 2 us a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
life is excellent if you just fuck each other whilst doing loads of coke.
Old 24-09-2012, 20:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermintrude the Cow View Post
Ifwhiteamerica is clearly satirical and sung from an opposing perspective, hence the end where it's "and we say there's not enough black in the union jack"
I wouldn't say it's at all clear exactly what they mean, which is everything's interpretation of it too. Especially with the 'fuck the brady bill' part.
Old 24-09-2012, 21:17
Winterlover

I just wrote four paragraphs on this and my connection crashed. Plus I'm slightly drunk, so it took fucking ages. A condensed version will have to suffice.

I have a fairly strong opinion on the matter: if the band's politics - whether that be their vague allusions to ideas or their specific leftist moments (Scargill, Cuba) - aren't important to you, you are not fully appreciating the band's work. How much of a political band they are, and whether or not you agree with all their views, are two completely separate matters entirely. All that matters is that you are thinking.

All they have ever asked you to do is to think with your brain, make your own decisions, and buy overpriced box-sets.

Disclaimer: I may rewrite this entirely tomorrow.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 24-09-2012, 22:58
Winterlover

Quote:
Ifwhiteamerica is clearly satirical and sung from an opposing perspective,
Is the 'fuck the Brady bill' bit satirical? This is Nicky's reading of it:
Quote:
The last lines (Fuck the Brady Bill/If God made man they say/Sam Colt made him equal) are about the gun laws that Clinton is trying to bring in. It would disenfranchise the black community, who generally don't have licences. The white rednecks in middle America do have licences, but statistics show they cause as much crime.
All of which is highly questionable to me. Why is it a bad thing that unlicensed guns be taken out of circulation, regardless of who owns them. The song seems to echo NRA rhetoric about sturdy self-reliant individuals needing guns to vindicate their rights.
Old 24-09-2012, 23:32
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Inconspicuous View Post
Is the 'fuck the Brady bill' bit satirical? This is Nicky's reading of it:

All of which is highly questionable to me. Why is it a bad thing that unlicensed guns be taken out of circulation, regardless of who owns them. The song seems to echo NRA rhetoric about sturdy self-reliant individuals needing guns to vindicate their rights.
Well. People keep saying they're a band who for all that their political their politics are not always so clear. Richey sometimes went so far left he ended up right wing ie on Archives of Pain....that or his lyrics could have a clinical logic to them. And it was written against a backdrop of Hindley making another plea for parole and serial killer t-shirts...Charlie don't surf...had become the thing & Axl had decided covering a Charles Manson song was a good idea....killers were the new rock stars

IfWhiteAmerica...I suppose at heart it's about the hypocrisy at the heart of the American and to an extent the British idea of itself and its role in the world. The US is a country where the gun is God until the associated crime starts to move out into white America then do they start discussing gun laws...That's not how Nicky's comments read I know but Richey's did and the general comment on hypocrisy would fit more with the song than the band suddenly going all pro-NRA at the end

Not that it feels like the Brady Bill although passed made it all that harder although the fact it was passed at all could be arguably one of an American government's finer achievements. It took Waco to do it like. Since then Columbine, Aurora....haven't had the same effect...but a digress
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 25-09-2012, 11:31
I live to fall asleep

Location: Alone in a godless universe and out of shake 'n vac
Quote:
I wouldn't say it's at all clear exactly what they mean, which is everything's interpretation of it too. Especially with the 'fuck the brady bill' part.
They say "fuck the Brady Bill" because it caused black people to be priced out of the gun market and left unable to defend themselves against racist attack.
There is no way you can realistically interpret ifwhiteamerica as a right-wing song. Its main message is about the marginalisation of black people in mainstream America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
life is excellent if you just fuck each other whilst doing loads of coke.
Old 25-09-2012, 12:09
Footprint of history

I sometimes wonder if maybe Richey wanted to be a libertarian, possibly even a Rand-ian one, but was too scared that the 'survival of the fittest' doctrine would actually mean he himself would not be strong enough to survive. Certainly there are strong themes of wanting to be powerful and in control running throughout THB.
Old 25-09-2012, 12:39
Administrator

Quote:
They say "fuck the Brady Bill" because it caused black people to be priced out of the gun market and left unable to defend themselves against racist attack.
There is no way you can realistically interpret ifwhiteamerica as a right-wing song. Its main message is about the marginalisation of black people in mainstream America.
Well, that's your interpretation. My point was more that there is material in their songs that can be interpreted in different ways.