Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #406  
Old 16-03-2018, 20:52
The Quatercircle The Quatercircle is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Keyboard Warrior
Posts: 223
I remember reviewers going crazy over the 2nd great depression. Flawless, Anthemic etc...etc...
__________________
I'm not gay... ... ... My boyfriend is
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 16-03-2018, 21:20
burnleybassman's Avatar
burnleybassman burnleybassman is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Otley, England
Age: 38
Posts: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Was shocked when I found it was, er, 'considerably beholden' to a Max Richter track.
Which one?
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 16-03-2018, 21:25
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Tokyo Skyline is probably my favourite off RTF. Was shocked when I found it was, er, 'considerably beholden' to a Max Richter track.
To be fair, it's really just a kind of sonic texture that adds to the song, but take it away and the song's chords, melody, structure lyrics all remain ...

It's certainly less 'beholden' than the title track of the album is to David Axelrod's 'A Little Girl Lost', I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Which one?
'Tokyo Riddle Song' from the album '24 Postcards in Full Colour':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7RtjM5k0wg

(heheh... Postcards... )
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| Porco Tunes: soundcloud.com/fdporco | Newest Track *'Crashed'*[Video]
“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"

Last edited by Porco; 16-03-2018 at 21:29.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 16-03-2018, 22:38
Takk's Avatar
Takk Takk is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chasing ManBearPig through the Alps
Age: 35
Posts: 47,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Has anyone kept a record of songs they've promised to play live/rehearsed and what actually makes it to the setlists?

From memory was the Past, Present, Future tour the first one where they announced beforehand what would be making the setlist?
No, I don't think they did for that tour....not sure they hinted till quite a lot later.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 17-03-2018, 20:50
Automatik's Avatar
Automatik Automatik is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: There By The Grace Of God CD1
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Which one?
Tokyo Riddle Song, apparently.
__________________
What a mess
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 17-03-2018, 21:26
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Tokyo Riddle Song, apparently.
Well I must’ve missed this the last time around
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • London KoKo 2006 • The Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • London Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • London O2 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush 2013 • London Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • London Wembley Arena 2018 • London Shepherds Bush 2019 (35)
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 18-03-2018, 09:14
Automatik's Avatar
Automatik Automatik is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: There By The Grace Of God CD1
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
To be fair, it's really just a kind of sonic texture that adds to the song, but take it away and the song's chords, melody, structure lyrics all remain ...

It's certainly less 'beholden' than the title track of the album is to David Axelrod's 'A Little Girl Lost', I think.
(For some reason, I didn't see your reply yesterday when I replied myself with the same information. Don't know what happened there.)

Yes, I agree with all this. It's a striking, lovely 'sonic texture' (good description, by the way), and I personally don't have a problem with them building the song around it, or adding it to the song after (I don't know which came first). As I said, Tokyo Skyline is one of my favourite tracks on RTF, and one of my favourite Manics songs of the last ten years. It's beautiful. Sounds like a bright morning.

Little Girl Lost, of course, is one of the best SATT b-sides too. Wasn't aware of the Axelrod connection, but it's clear from its usage as a b-side inspiration that Nicky had been mulling Axelrod's stuff for a good few years before RTF.

The band have always drawn their inspiration from a wide range of sources - sometimes somewhat shamelessly - and finding the sources of that inspiration is one of the aspects I enjoy most about their new material.
__________________
What a mess
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 18-03-2018, 14:45
LA ex's Avatar
LA ex LA ex is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
No, I don't think they did for that tour....not sure they hinted till quite a lot later.
I've managed to dig up the tour announcement..... Of Walking Abortion and Archives of Pain were performed on every date, but 4st7lbs only got a couple of outings.

PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE - APRIL 2005 TOUR

“ALL OUR KNOWLEDGE – PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE – IS NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT WE WILL NEVER KNOW.” (TSIOLKOVSKY)

2004 ENDED WITH THE MANIC STREET PREACHERS SOLD OUT ARENA TOUR RECEIVING AMAZING REVIEWS ... DESCRIBED AS “THEIR BEST SHOWS FOR A DECADE” BY THE NME AND BY THE TIMES AS “A COMMUNAL CELEBRATION OF THE BANDS RETURN TO FORM”. MORE DATES HAVE NOW BEEN CONFIRMED FOR APRIL 2005 WITH THE BAND RETURNING TO VENUES AND CITIES THEY HAVE NOT VISITED IN ALMOST 10 YEARS.

THEY HAVE PROMISED TO PLAY A VARIED SELECTION OF SONGS FROM THROUGHOUT THEIR BACK CATALOGUE, INCLUDING TRACKS SUCH AS ‘4ST 7LB’, ‘ARCHIVES OF PAIN’ AND ‘OF WALKING ABORTION’ FROM THEIR THIRD ALBUM ‘THE HOLY BIBLE’ WHICH WAS RELEASED AS A SPECIAL 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION AT THE END OF 2004.

THE BAND ARE HOPING TO UNVEIL NEW MATERIAL ON THE FORTHCOMING TOUR, INCLUDING TRACKS, WHICH THEY ARE CURRENTLY RECORDING. THE DATES AND VENUES OF THE TOUR ARE AS FOLLOWS….

SUNDAY 3RD APRIL: SOUTHAMPTON, GUILDHALL - 02380 632601
MONDAY 4TH APRIL: DERBY, ASSEMBLY ROOMS - 01332 255800
WEDNESDAY 6TH APRIL: WOLVES, CIVIC HALL - 01902 552121
THURSDAY 7TH APRIL: SWANSEA, BRANGWYN HALL - 01792 475715
SATURDAY 9TH APRIL: LIVERPOOL, ROYAL COURT - 0151 709 4321
MONDAY 11TH APRIL: BRISTOL, COLSTON HALL - 0117 922 3686
TUESDAY 12TH APRIL: CAMBRIDGE CORN EXCHANGE - 01233 357851
THURSDAY 14TH APRIL: NEWCASTLE, CITY HALL - 0191 261 2606
FRIDAY 15TH APRIL: EDINBURGH, CORN EXCHANGE - 0131 443 0404
SUNDAY 17TH APRIL: LEEDS, UNIVERSITY REFECTORY - 0113 244 4600
MONDAY 18TH APRIL: LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO - 08706 063400

SPECIAL GUESTS DELAYS.
TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY 4TH FEBRUARY AT 9AM PRICED £22.50 EXCEPT LONDON £23.50.
24 HOUR CREDIT CARD HOTLINE: 0871 2200 260 OR BUY ONLINE AT WWW.GIGSANDTOURS.COM.

WATCH THIS SPACE FOR PRIORITY TICKET BOOKING DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 18-03-2018, 17:09
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
(For some reason, I didn't see your reply yesterday when I replied myself with the same information. Don't know what happened there.)

Yes, I agree with all this. It's a striking, lovely 'sonic texture' (good description, by the way), and I personally don't have a problem with them building the song around it, or adding it to the song after (I don't know which came first). As I said, Tokyo Skyline is one of my favourite tracks on RTF, and one of my favourite Manics songs of the last ten years. It's beautiful. Sounds like a bright morning.

Little Girl Lost, of course, is one of the best SATT b-sides too. Wasn't aware of the Axelrod connection, but it's clear from its usage as a b-side inspiration that Nicky had been mulling Axelrod's stuff for a good few years before RTF.

The band have always drawn their inspiration from a wide range of sources - sometimes somewhat shamelessly - and finding the sources of that inspiration is one of the aspects I enjoy most about their new material.
I assumed you'd missed my reply, hehehe, easily done, doesn’t matter.

I agree with everything you say above.
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| Porco Tunes: soundcloud.com/fdporco | Newest Track *'Crashed'*[Video]
“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 18-03-2018, 19:19
y2kyle16's Avatar
y2kyle16 y2kyle16 is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,545
Great tour but fuck me ticket prices have shot up

Doubled in just over 10 years




Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
I've managed to dig up the tour announcement..... Of Walking Abortion and Archives of Pain were performed on every date, but 4st7lbs only got a couple of outings.

PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE - APRIL 2005 TOUR

“ALL OUR KNOWLEDGE – PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE – IS NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT WE WILL NEVER KNOW.” (TSIOLKOVSKY)

2004 ENDED WITH THE MANIC STREET PREACHERS SOLD OUT ARENA TOUR RECEIVING AMAZING REVIEWS ... DESCRIBED AS “THEIR BEST SHOWS FOR A DECADE” BY THE NME AND BY THE TIMES AS “A COMMUNAL CELEBRATION OF THE BANDS RETURN TO FORM”. MORE DATES HAVE NOW BEEN CONFIRMED FOR APRIL 2005 WITH THE BAND RETURNING TO VENUES AND CITIES THEY HAVE NOT VISITED IN ALMOST 10 YEARS.

THEY HAVE PROMISED TO PLAY A VARIED SELECTION OF SONGS FROM THROUGHOUT THEIR BACK CATALOGUE, INCLUDING TRACKS SUCH AS ‘4ST 7LB’, ‘ARCHIVES OF PAIN’ AND ‘OF WALKING ABORTION’ FROM THEIR THIRD ALBUM ‘THE HOLY BIBLE’ WHICH WAS RELEASED AS A SPECIAL 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION AT THE END OF 2004.

THE BAND ARE HOPING TO UNVEIL NEW MATERIAL ON THE FORTHCOMING TOUR, INCLUDING TRACKS, WHICH THEY ARE CURRENTLY RECORDING. THE DATES AND VENUES OF THE TOUR ARE AS FOLLOWS….

SUNDAY 3RD APRIL: SOUTHAMPTON, GUILDHALL - 02380 632601
MONDAY 4TH APRIL: DERBY, ASSEMBLY ROOMS - 01332 255800
WEDNESDAY 6TH APRIL: WOLVES, CIVIC HALL - 01902 552121
THURSDAY 7TH APRIL: SWANSEA, BRANGWYN HALL - 01792 475715
SATURDAY 9TH APRIL: LIVERPOOL, ROYAL COURT - 0151 709 4321
MONDAY 11TH APRIL: BRISTOL, COLSTON HALL - 0117 922 3686
TUESDAY 12TH APRIL: CAMBRIDGE CORN EXCHANGE - 01233 357851
THURSDAY 14TH APRIL: NEWCASTLE, CITY HALL - 0191 261 2606
FRIDAY 15TH APRIL: EDINBURGH, CORN EXCHANGE - 0131 443 0404
SUNDAY 17TH APRIL: LEEDS, UNIVERSITY REFECTORY - 0113 244 4600
MONDAY 18TH APRIL: LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO - 08706 063400

SPECIAL GUESTS DELAYS.
TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY 4TH FEBRUARY AT 9AM PRICED £22.50 EXCEPT LONDON £23.50.
24 HOUR CREDIT CARD HOTLINE: 0871 2200 260 OR BUY ONLINE AT WWW.GIGSANDTOURS.COM.

WATCH THIS SPACE FOR PRIORITY TICKET BOOKING DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 18-03-2018, 22:55
darkanddivine's Avatar
darkanddivine darkanddivine is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Wolfland
Posts: 6,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kyle16 View Post
Great tour but fuck me ticket prices have shot up

Doubled in just over 10 years
For a while I noted that the price went up a quid each time. Probably not entirely true, but it seemed to be that way for a bit. Naturally arena/20th shows are a bit more which may explain the recent increase.
__________________
“I have known many sorrows, most of which never happened.” Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 19-03-2018, 13:38
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,025
£22 a gig! Blimey. Still, we're living in a different world to 2015.

£23.50 adjusted for inflation is £33.36 in 2017 money (will be more in 2018). Add on the various fees and postage, and that sounds like the same price to me.
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • London KoKo 2006 • The Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • London Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • London O2 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush 2013 • London Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • London Wembley Arena 2018 • London Shepherds Bush 2019 (35)
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 22-03-2018, 16:11
almostfamous's Avatar
almostfamous almostfamous is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 701
Looking at the upcoming releases there's not a great deal of competition in the album chart for that period. Kylie's will be done the week before, Jack White a few weeks earlier, both pretty niche nowadays anyway. Their biggest competition might still be the bloody Greatest Showman which is still shifting 30k a week. Based on Futurology they'd expect circa 20k.

With the signings and front loaded roll of "singles / grats" I'm pretty sure Sony, etc will be hoping for an easy top 3 possibly even...no I won't jinx it.
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 23-03-2018, 13:58
burnleybassman's Avatar
burnleybassman burnleybassman is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Otley, England
Age: 38
Posts: 3,042
Interested to know, but do people prefer this kind of release compared to what we've been used to in the past i.e. hearing all of the "singles" first before hearing the album in full?
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 23-03-2018, 16:56
Automatik's Avatar
Automatik Automatik is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: There By The Grace Of God CD1
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Interested to know, but do people prefer this kind of release compared to what we've been used to in the past i.e. hearing all of the "singles" first before hearing the album in full?
I prefer having b-sides, is what I prefer. At one point in time these three singles would have netted us as many as five further songs each.
__________________
What a mess
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.