Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-04-2014, 18:54
An imitation of dignity

live album ?

why after all these years have we not had a full offical live album ? , I know we get lots of scraps here and there , but I want a full on official live album recorded in full from one venue ! to much to ask ? I think not !!!!
Old 16-04-2014, 19:11
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I agree, but I always felt a good live album would be a soundtrack to the seriously delayed "No Manifesto" film.

EDIT: Ugh! Aah! Geometrically perfect post count! And then I went and spoiled it all by making more posts and a thread.

Last edited by Son of Stopped; 16-04-2014 at 21:48.
Old 16-04-2014, 19:18
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz40 View Post
why after all these years have we not had a full offical live album ? , I know we get lots of scraps here and there , but I want a full on official live album recorded in full from one venue ! to much to ask ? I think not !!!!
because the band think they're shit. More likely, they don't think they'll make any money on it
Old 16-04-2014, 19:19
I live to fall asleep

I'd love a live album, with photo's from the gig and tour and just to be able to re-live the whole thing. I wonder if they just can't decide to do it? Or maybe not be able to decide which venue/set to use? Oh I don't know, they've just never seemed like a band to do a live album. Wish they would though.
Old 16-04-2014, 19:22
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
I'd love a live album, with photo's from the gig and tour and just to be able to re-live the whole thing. I wonder if they just can't decide to do it? Or maybe not be able to decide which venue/set to use? Oh I don't know, they've just never seemed like a band to do a live album. Wish they would though.
They should've filmed the o2 gig and released that as a CD/DVD combo. That's where they would've had the most interest
Old 16-04-2014, 19:45
Footprint of history

I could watch a live DVD but never listen to a live album, everyone always sounds a bit crap to me, I'm too critical, I like to hear the same as the record, its ok in the venue itself but when I listen to any live tracks recorded on here I think James sounds a bit poor these days
Old 16-04-2014, 19:50
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
because the band think they're shit. More likely, they don't think they'll make any money on it
James has said he has heard a handful of decent live albums, and as kids they consumed so much music so that speaks volumes.

A live acoustic album would be good to hear songs in a different environment/arrangement but a straight live set, no
Old 16-04-2014, 20:04
I live to fall asleep

I'm not really fond of that stuff but Nirvana's MTV unplugged is amazing. I'd like to see/hear something like that from Manics.
Old 16-04-2014, 20:21
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
I could watch a live DVD but never listen to a live album, everyone always sounds a bit crap to me, I'm too critical, I like to hear the same as the record, its ok in the venue itself but when I listen to any live tracks recorded on here I think James sounds a bit poor these days
those are never going to be as good as a proper release. Have you downloaded the 02 freebies? Most of those sound great

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
James has said he has heard a handful of decent live albums, and as kids they consumed so much music so that speaks volumes.

A live acoustic album would be good to hear songs in a different environment/arrangement but a straight live set, no
2 of my favourite live albums are Queen's live at wembly 86 and Live killers. I used to listen to those a ton and loved them as much as the studio albums. I've always thought a manics live album would be as good. The o2 tracks are great but its a shame we won't get the between song banter that adds so much atmosphere to a show
Old 16-04-2014, 20:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'd love a live Manics album. I, also, love those live Queen albums and the Manics are still a band that needs to be experienced live. I think the question is whether they would be happy with an entire gig recorded, knowing that it may not be perfect.
16/12/98 Wembley Arena, 23/05/07 Norwich UEA, 17/10/10 Norwich UEA, 22/01/11 Brixton Academy, 19/05/11 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 17/12/11 London 02 Arena, 24/09/13 Shepherd's Bush Empire, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montford Hall, 16/05/16 Royal Albert Hall

Twitter: @DamonCorless
Old 16-04-2014, 21:45
I live to fall asleep

The Manics are not a "live" band - in their essence they are a "studio" band - all the true magic happens there. Apart from JDB they are not naturally great musicians and so I'm guessing they would feel a little out of their depth being judged purely on a live performance. Of the DVDs they have released I have never thought any of them being all that great (the possible exception being Everything Live in which there seems to be some sort of purity and innocence in both their sound and the visual of this gig (but maybe I'm romanticising it)). Anyway IMO there always seems to be something missing when they play songs live rather than the live performances overshadowing the studio versions of songs.
Old 16-04-2014, 21:49
Winterlover

Live albums are like double albums; you only do them if you know it's going to be fucking amazing. Nine times out of ten, it is not.

I think Matt Bellamy (maybe) also said the concept of live albums is flawed. You need a career to get a big set of material to play a nice big set of music and record it professionally. But you should do a live album when you are young, angry and have no cash because the reality is, those performances are almost always better and so much more exciting. And he should know. Hullabaloo is the shit. HAARP is just shit.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 16-04-2014 at 21:54.
Old 16-04-2014, 22:17
Knowlede Is Power

Live acoustic album would be good. A full on live album? Im not so sure. I always tend to just skip to the songs I like on those kind of albums.
Old 16-04-2014, 22:33
I live to fall asleep

I have to admit that I'm not very keen on live albums in general. There is always something missing in them. I'd rather listen to some good bootlegs when I want to hear live music. I used to buy live dvds but I rarely take the time to watch them.
That said I'd like acoustic live album but I don't think they will ever do that.

Last edited by Smiling#Girl; 17-04-2014 at 14:58.
Old 16-04-2014, 22:46
Doors slowly closing

live albums can work, but they have to be that thing where they are as much of a mindblowing experience as the studio output yet of course having that "different" edge.

The Who Live At Leeds and Frampton Comes Alive are two essential live albums. nothing off the top of my head comes close - most of the Bowie ones, for instance, are outstanding, but not as visited as the studio ones.

no DVD or CD of JFPL was a mistake. it's not likely that they will revisit the songs from there too often, i think releasing a recording of that kind of "entire album" set, even if just an official download, would not have generated complaints.

but yeah, the band don't like them so that's that.
blog