Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-07-2014, 16:29
Born to end

I think it has it's place on the album, it's always good to have a straight up rocker. I bet it'd be great live as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 16:31
I live to fall asleep

The demo is a million times better with Wire singing the chorus. It's grittier and dirtier.
Old 05-07-2014, 16:32
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
This song for some reason reminds me of some Adam and the Ants tracks!
That's a good thing - it's hard to pick a favourite between SPLM, Europa and Black Square.
I reckon SPLM needs to be a single - the chorus is so singable
It does sound like something from Adam's unreleased album Persuasion.
Old 05-07-2014, 23:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
It's definetly the runt of the litter. I think it has a place, though. Like when the italian futurists liked fast cars (and fascism) and hung around with boxers. It introduces some muscle and segues well into the magnificent Dreaming A City.
What an apt comparison!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee View Post
What an apt comparison!
Thank you. Robbed at birth of charisma and talent, I was given an extraordinarily robust willpower and a high tolerance to self-criticism. Nothing has come easy for me - this comment, that comparison, everything else I have labored to achieve, it has all been a product of great strain, of hard work. And as forced and labored and lacking in talent as it is, it is also - just barely - fit to serve humanity.

But enough of me.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:55
Stretched out in the sun

I feel so dumb that I've only just realised, on my 6th full play through of the album, that the pre-chorus and chorus lyrics actually correlate:

Sex = obsession
Power = possession
Love = confession
Money = recession
Old 06-07-2014, 09:02

It's a belter, Adam Ant meets Noddy Holder.

Should go down well live.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:15
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
It's a belter, Adam Ant meets Noddy Holder.

Should go down well live.
Clearly a lot of folks don't like it but I think it's great. Totally over the top and very much self aware. Lots of fun!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
The demo is a million times better with Wire singing the chorus. It's grittier and dirtier.

Nah. I had to delete that demo off my ipad. He can't really sing. I can't listen to it. Restricted to the simple undemanding chorus (after possibly a dozen takes) in the album version he sounds okay. But not for a whole song.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:24

I also only realised that after a few listens MrRichey so you're not the only one!

Interestingly in Nicky's track by track with Q he described SPLAM as a 'marmite song' so obviously the band were aware it'd cause plenty of heated debate! I'm sure they had a laugh recording it anyway and I guess I'm just in the hilariously funny rather than the hilariously awful camp. Can't wait to hear the Nicky version...or maybe I really can
Old 06-07-2014, 13:49
Stretched out in the sun

By far my favourite song from Futurology
Old 06-07-2014, 15:10
Desire on its knees

It's one of my favourites, great song
Old 06-07-2014, 15:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron33 View Post
Nah. I had to delete that demo off my ipad. He can't really sing. I can't listen to it. Restricted to the simple undemanding chorus (after possibly a dozen takes) in the album version he sounds okay. But not for a whole song.
The album track is over-produced (shit) stadium rock and loses its appeal with Jimbo singing the chorus. If I may use YLU as an analogy then the album version is the Sony version while the demo is the much rawer and truer Heavenly version.
Old 06-07-2014, 16:25
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by A boy called Rita View Post
By far my favourite song from Futurology
Not fucking surprised in the least
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 06-07-2014, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Clearly a lot of folks don't like it but I think it's great. Totally over the top and very much self aware. Lots of fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrw1992 View Post
Interestingly in Nicky's track by track with Q he described SPLAM as a 'marmite song' so obviously the band were aware it'd cause plenty of heated debate! I'm sure they had a laugh recording it anyway and I guess I'm just in the hilariously funny rather than the hilariously awful camp. Can't wait to hear the Nicky version...or maybe I really can
Having no experience with marmite whatsoever (we don't have it over here in Germany), I have to ask: what is a "marmite song"? Love it or hate it kind of thing?

In any case, I'm also a member of the "hilariously funny" camp. It definitely does stand out and I do think it doesn't really fit into the context of the album, I don't mind that though. Actually, it's what I like about it, too. Quite nice to have a change of pace midway through. I tend to be a "skipper" anyway, i.e. I usually listen to single tracks, depending on my mood, rather than the whole album, at least once it's been out for a while. THB is an exception to that.

Also, I think it would be fun live, but I don't really see them playing it much. Which means the "hilariously funny" camp might have to make "SPLAM!"-signs after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Thank you. Robbed at birth of charisma and talent, I was given an extraordinarily robust willpower and a high tolerance to self-criticism. Nothing has come easy for me - this comment, that comparison, everything else I have labored to achieve, it has all been a product of great strain, of hard work. And as forced and labored and lacking in talent as it is, it is also - just barely - fit to serve humanity.

But enough of me.
Credit where credit is due! :-D