Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-01-2012, 22:39
Winterlover

I don't despise SATT at all. I just think that they've done much better albums, it's the least good of a good bunch.
Old 08-01-2012, 22:39
Winterlover

A lot of people see it as a rethread of the past that sounds forced and a hollow attempt at commercial success over artistic success. Before SATT they didn't seem to be afraid of trying different things, but the meat-and-potatoes rock of that album and the subsequent trend of slagging off most of their past albums have rubbed people the wrong way - a lot of the things that some fans find a bit iffy about the band these days (even if they still love the band in general) can be traced to the SATT period.

I've forgiven it and even enjoy parts of it these days, but it's still easily their weakest album and pretty much killed my interest for the band for a good year or so.
Old 08-01-2012, 22:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post

Unfortunately there is what appears to be a telephone cable attached to him and so a third of the way up the wall is as far as he can go.
That's his guitar lead.... Richey would have been able to do it though!
Old 08-01-2012, 22:45
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanL View Post
That's his guitar lead.... Richey would have been able to do it though!
That's the curliest guitar lead I ever saw then!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-01-2012, 22:48

Maybe it's a dial up guitar lead? :-)
Old 08-01-2012, 22:51
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
I don't despise SATT at all. I just think that they've done much better albums, it's the least good of a good bunch.
I agree, it is definitely not their best one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
A lot of people see it as a rethread of the past that sounds forced and a hollow attempt at commercial success over artistic success. Before SATT they didn't seem to be afraid of trying different things, but the meat-and-potatoes rock of that album and the subsequent trend of slagging off most of their past albums have rubbed people the wrong way - a lot of the things that some fans find a bit iffy about the band these days (even if they still love the band in general) can be traced to the SATT period.

I've forgiven it and even enjoy parts of it these days, but it's still easily their weakest album and pretty much killed my interest for the band for a good year or so.
Some song of the albulm were an desperate attempt to reach the top of the charts (Autumnsong , YLAINE), that's true, but I feel there is still some experiment in songs such as Imperial Bodybags and even The Second Great Depression (I do not like it but at least it is not 'Obladi, Oblada', if you see what I mean). For me, the biggest issue with SATT was the choice of singles (recurrent issue with them...)
Old 09-01-2012, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
I agree, it is definitely not their best one

Some song of the albulm were an desperate attempt to reach the top of the charts (Autumnsong , YLAINE), that's true, but I feel there is still some experiment in songs such as Imperial Bodybags and even The Second Great Depression (I do not like it but at least it is not 'Obladi, Oblada', if you see what I mean). For me, the biggest issue with SATT was the choice of singles (recurrent issue with them...)
Agreed, though I feel YLAINE is an enjoyable and successful attempt at chart success. I've got nothing against a good super-poppy song!

The problem is the follow-up singles (though to be fair I'm not sure if there was a really great second single on the album) and that a few of the other tracks on the album (I'd say Winterlovers, Underdogs and to a degree Patsy) are pretty poor.

I really like the tightness and flow of the album though... so conflicting!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:58
I live to fall asleep

2012 feels like a very uninspiring uear with nothing from the Manics.

I'm seriously sad.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00
Freed from the century

Bit of an odd question, but I swear I remember reading somewhere once how there is a stone or plaque or something to do with the Manics in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff? I work there and I'd like to go and see it but have no idea if it actually exists!
Old 10-01-2012, 13:26
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by amay View Post
Bit of an odd question, but I swear I remember reading somewhere once how there is a stone or plaque or something to do with the Manics in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff? I work there and I'd like to go and see it but have no idea if it actually exists!
Yeah it's there on the walkway alongside the Taff, there's a celebrity section somewhere amongst the plebs

Last edited by MSPKYE; 10-01-2012 at 13:29.
Old 10-01-2012, 15:17
An imitation of dignity

ha ha, never seen that before - it looks photoshopped! Surely Sean is about to lob that brick at the photographer?
Looking more closely - they are all hovering in the air. Magic.
Old 10-01-2012, 15:19
Bored out of my mind

Sean does look a little fierce there!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 15-01-2012, 21:56
Bored out of my mind

Oh there's Rock And Roll Genius up on youtube. I won't listen to it!
Old 16-01-2012, 12:55
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I'm listening again to Send Away The Tigers. I'd make a thread about it, but that might be pushing it. It's a good sunny day album!
Old 16-01-2012, 13:01
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I'm listening again to Send Away The Tigers. I'd make a thread about it, but that might be pushing it. It's a good sunny day album!
Yeah it is isn't it? I sometimes play it after i've woken up as it's quite cheery in terms of music.