Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-02-2011, 21:04
Bored of being bored

Yes, their first single not to reach the top 40 since they became well-known
Old 06-02-2011, 21:04
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
If you say so.
i do, and this little thing called "the record industry" says so. hence them, whilst they claim to be under immense financial pressure and on the verge of collapse, still manufacturing and releasing singles, unless you have it in your head that they do it as some sort of "vanity project" that loses money but appeals to sensitive bands and boring old farts like me who buy them?
blog
Old 06-02-2011, 21:10
A self-made vacuum

Surely, the download market makes singles still quite important.

I for one tend to download one or two singles from a band rather than whole albums (unless I really like the band).

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 06-02-2011, 21:18
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
Yes, their first single not to reach the top 40 since they became well-known
Sorry, thought you were referring to Lifeblood. Just re-read your post! Postcards as an album has done very well, I think it's downloading and all that affecting the singles chart.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-02-2011, 23:22
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Reception and such probably would've been better but I doubt they would've been able to score much more of a success. To do that you need the support of the masses and rockier stuff's just not been that popular in the recent years.
this. Rock and indie just aren't getting into the higher reaches of the charts anymore. I keep banging on about this but autumnsong got to number 10 in 2007 and you can't get blander than that really can you? All three postcards singles are better songs than that. The JFPL songs might've done slightly better but not by much
Old 07-02-2011, 00:00
Winterlover

I reckon some of it would've done very well if pushed in the right channels.
Old 07-02-2011, 00:19
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
yes they fucking would have charted, yes the fucking singles charts are relevant, and yes the band fucking knew that they had some hit fucking single material on their hands, hence a fucking radio fucking friendly version of JCEQT being fucking made that took all the fucking fucks out of the song, never mind that they made a fucking video for it that fucking pisses all over the videos they have made for PFAYM man with it's beautiful fucking simplicity.

JCEQT would have been all over the airwaves if they had put it out as a single, but fucking no, let's be all fucking pious about this fucking album and not do singles, shall we?

But yeah, I don't really get why they didn't put any singles out. I reckon both Peeled Apples and JCEQT could've both gone top 20 at least, think they're both better than the PFAYM singles so far. Who knows, if they'd released singles like they used to they might've improved the performance of the last couple. A fourth JFPL single would've probably been due around March 2010 and maybe they'd have been fresh in people's minds with INWJTEOL coming in September.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:11
Doors slowly closing

They didn't release singles, I think, because they wanted the album to remain whole. Hence why they played the whole album live.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:14
Stretched out in the sun

Had they done this...

Single 1: "Jackie Collins Existential Question Time"

Single 2: "Me and Stephen Hawking"

Single 3: "Marlon J.D."

...I gaurantee they would all have been top 20 singles.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:14
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Since reception overall - critics and fans - to JFPL seemed better compared to PFAYM, I do think so. "Peeled Apples" and "Jackie Collins" were practically made to be singles (well, apart from the potentially 'controversial' content of "Jackie")!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:21
Freed from the century

No, probably not, sadly. I think JC might have done about the same at INW (i.e. - good try but no cigar), as it has almost the same 'trying to be radio-friendly' jauntiness; the others are too good for today's singles chart (like SKON, I hope Nicky knows that).
Old 07-02-2011, 01:25
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nick...! View Post
the others are too good for today's singles chart (like SKON, I hope Nicky knows that).
I hate to sound so negative, but had SKON been the follow-up to ADFL it still wouldn't have charted well. It's just not a good choice of single.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

probably not, but who cares... they're still a hundred times better as songs
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
I hate to sound so negative, but had SKON been the follow-up to ADFL it still wouldn't have charted well. It's just not a good choice of single.
I don't agree, I think SKON would have been massive if it had been released during the Truth era or even after YLAINE. Matter of opinion of course but I think it's brilliant and accessible and definitely not their worst ever single, as the chart placing would suggest taken alone.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:26
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nick...! View Post
I don't agree, I think SKON would have been massive if it had been released during the Truth era or even after YLAINE. Matter of opinion of course but I think it's brilliant and accessible and definitely not their worst ever single, as the chart placing would suggest taken alone.
Aye, sometimes a song captures the public, sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the song itself, just what the prevailing mood is amongst the populace at the time. For me SKON is superb.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)