Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-09-2013, 08:25
Bored of being bored

I love Lifeblood. It made me sad to hear James call it their worst album just now on BBC Breakfast. I realised just how much I'm out of step with the Manics now, as I like Lifeblood much more than anything they've done in the last few years. Ah well.

But yes, definitely a winter album for me, and one full of nostalgia as 2004 was an amazing time in my life.

As for THB... I was in Australia at the time doing my BA, and I roamed into town between classes to check the record stores, and to my total amazement they had an import copy of THB, which I hadn't expected to hear for months. I just remember going back to uni and sitting on the grass (it was winter but still sunny) and reading the lyrics and going over the artwork, devouring every detail, just thrilled at the fact that in a few hours I would be able to listen to it. It became my favourite album and remained so for a long time.
Old 17-09-2013, 09:58
Winterlover

For me it's the Manics' most interesting album. A pretty unique sound for the band following the electronic experimentation on TBTGOG and some of its b-sides.

My favourite Manics song is still Cardiff Afterlife and that won't be changing. It's the delivery of the vocal that really gets me and the passion of the music. I don't really listen to the song as a Richey track at all, that would put me off it massively. Anyway, what a beautiful song it is.

LB used to be my favourite Manics album until JFPL came along but it still holds a very special place in my heart. It's the coldest Manics album but it's a masterpiece.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 17-09-2013, 11:53
Knowlede Is Power

I agree I must be out of step with the Manics because it is one of my favs and bar Journal the best thing they have released in the last 10 years (still haven't heard the new one). Repel ghosts is just amazing. 2004 was the year I got my first job and it was an amazing if extremely busy time in my life and I remember it fondly. LB reminds me off that time. Got lipstick traces a couple of months later which I remember listening to while a winter storm blew up in Wales. At the same time I was watching their DVD of the singles. Big Manics time in my life after having been away from them since my undergrad
Old 17-09-2013, 16:02
Winterlover

The problem with Lifeblood was they built it up to be some kind of Cure/New Order influenced glacial/synth beast but it ended up being a mixture of things, I think they should have stuck with the Visconti mixes if Patrick Jones's videos are anything to go by instead they seemed to shit themselves and got it remastered adding more guitars and a few obvious stabs at 'hits'. Some good songs on it though Solitude Sometimes is, I Live To Fall Asleep and 1985 in particular. It just never quite takes off for me. This is My Truth is a better album in terms of winter albums...

Last edited by BloodFlowerBill; 17-09-2013 at 17:24.
Old 17-09-2013, 16:04
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflower View Post
I love Lifeblood. It made me sad to hear James call it their worst album just now on BBC Breakfast. I realised just how much I'm out of step with the Manics now, as I like Lifeblood much more than anything they've done in the last few years. Ah well.
Oh did he now? Silly silly man.
Old 17-09-2013, 16:12
I live to fall asleep

The Manics only hate it as it didn't sell and it was the moment that they realised their time at the top was over. If Lifeblood had of sold a million copies Nicky Wire would wank over it every night. The Manics would kill for a track like 1985 now for their Radio 2 audience. I remember Jo Whiley playing the exclusive of TLORN on Radio 1 at 11am and it sounded really out of place but in a bad way.
Old 17-09-2013, 17:49
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
The Manics only hate it as it didn't sell and it was the moment that they realised their time at the top was over. If Lifeblood had of sold a million copies Nicky Wire would wank over it every night. The Manics would kill for a track like 1985 now for their Radio 2 audience. I remember Jo Whiley playing the exclusive of TLORN on Radio 1 at 11am and it sounded really out of place but in a bad way.
This is true, I suspect he will say the same about RTF when it sinks without trace within a couple of weeks.
Old 17-09-2013, 22:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
I personally think Lifeblood was released at the wrong time. I personally think its probably my favourite album. The album that was needed after KYE was SATT, I wonder what the reception of rewind the film would be if it was released in 2004 and how Lifeblood would be received if released now?
Old 17-09-2013, 23:13
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
This is true, I suspect he will say the same about RTF when it sinks without trace within a couple of weeks.

Oh Manics! She torched your ass, man! She torched your ass!
Old 18-09-2013, 09:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

I don't know about winter as such, but Lifeblood is certainly a good, 'it's silly o'clock in the morning after a heavy night and I'm on a bit of a boozy comedown' album. Works beautifully in that context. I do generally still wish they'd gone a bit more 'Depeche Mode' on this album, though, as it could have been an amazing record if it had a more edgy electro-sheen. More akin to the awesome TBTGOG that preceded Lifeblood by a couple of years.
Old 19-09-2013, 12:07
I live to fall asleep

Listen to the listen again link on the tour thread with the Bay Radio interview with James. It's with a DJ who is a massive Manics fan and he got James to talk quite a lot abt Lifeblood. He admitted he liked the album and certain tracks and the coldness of it. It was great to hear cos I love Lifeblood.
Old 19-09-2013, 15:21
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
Listen to the listen again link on the tour thread with the Bay Radio interview with James. It's with a DJ who is a massive Manics fan and he got James to talk quite a lot abt Lifeblood. He admitted he liked the album and certain tracks and the coldness of it. It was great to hear cos I love Lifeblood.
Can't believe he said that until I hear it myself!Where can I listen to this?
Old 19-09-2013, 18:01
Builder of routine

Nicky has said *theres some good stuff on there* too. The bay interview is on the list on the RTF radio and tv apearrences thread
Old 19-09-2013, 18:04
Builder of routine

Quote:
I remember Jo Whiley playing the exclusive of TLORN on Radio 1 at 11am and it sounded really out of place but in a bad way.
I remember a lot of my college friends asking me what the hell had happened to them.
Old 19-09-2013, 18:07
Bored out of my mind

The firsy ever listen to Nixon was a suprise but it quickly grew on me and now I love it of course!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)