Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-09-2013, 21:47
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Just listened to the track-b-track Xfm show… James mentioned 30YW features a reference to 'Keep the Red Flag Flying' after the 2nd chorus. Which is cool.
Yeah I noticed that the first time I heard it, wasn't sure if it was intentional or not though.
Old 19-09-2013, 22:46
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
It might just be me... But the brass solo on As Holy As The Soil (That Buries Your Skin).
It bugged me. I've heard it before somewhere. A presence I've not felt since...

DO NOT CLICK LINK IF THIS IS YOUR FAVOURITE TRACK OFF THE ALBUM!!!

0.16 of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mSg92MaM4

OK, so the album version is a lot slower, but I'm right. Aren't I?

On the plus side, we can now picture Nicky and Richey on ITV with Richey going "I hate you, Nicky! You're getting on me piggin' nerves!"

"Rock on Nicky!" anyone?
Old 22-09-2013, 11:13
I am purity, they call me perverted

It's been bugging me ever since I first heard this song because I couldn't put my finger on it. Until now. Is anyone else hearing Echo and the Bunnymen's 'Nothing Lasts Forever' in 'As Holy As The Soil'? The "even if it only lasts for seconds" bit?

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, kind of thing, y'know.
Old 23-09-2013, 12:56
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Being a forum minnow and all, my post saying exactly this in another thread wasn't acknowledged. It's ok, no offence taken... Oh yeah, it's 'You Know Me' by Robbie. It kind of kills any enjoyment of the song for me. That, and it's also not very good.
Yeah, I thought the same for the chorus to AFALC as well, which is a shame as I really like the verses

Am I the only one who thought the verses to SMTW sounded a bit like the theme tune to 'Neighbours'?
Old 23-09-2013, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post

Am I the only one who thought the verses to SMTW sounded a bit like the theme tune to 'Neighbours'?
Oh no, you're certainly not! I personally don't hear it as much as other seem to, thankfully...
Old 23-09-2013, 15:41
Doors slowly closing

Utterly trivial factoid time:

I really hope this doesn't get anyone into trouble(!), but I've noticed that As Holy As The Soil (That Buries Your Skin) actually does still have a very small remnant of the Captain Beefheart sample (which had to be removed due to lack of rights permission) on the released version!

If you've heard the track, The Dust Blows Forward 'N The Dust Blows Back, you'll notice the little clippy noises in between the words, and the final one of those overlaps with the opening chord of the song. They must have just chopped the rest of the sample off the finished track and not gone back to remove the sample entirely from the mix.

As I said, utterly trivial, and I doubt anyone would normally notice, but it's there if any of you are so inclined to check for the sheer geeky fun of it. Even if you're not inclined to mess about with audio like me, if you keep playing the opening chord you might hear the little clippy noise if you listen for it, it's literally on the opening chord right at the beginning.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 23-09-2013 at 15:44.
Old 23-09-2013, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Being a forum minnow and all, my post saying exactly this in another thread wasn't acknowledged. It's ok, no offence taken... Oh yeah, it's 'You Know Me' by Robbie. It kind of kills any enjoyment of the song for me. That, and it's also not very good.
Why would you make me realise this. WHY?
Old 23-09-2013, 20:17
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Utterly trivial factoid time:

I really hope this doesn't get anyone into trouble(!), but I've noticed that As Holy As The Soil (That Buries Your Skin) actually does still have a very small remnant of the Captain Beefheart sample (which had to be removed due to lack of rights permission) on the released version!

If you've heard the track, The Dust Blows Forward 'N The Dust Blows Back, you'll notice the little clippy noises in between the words, and the final one of those overlaps with the opening chord of the song. They must have just chopped the rest of the sample off the finished track and not gone back to remove the sample entirely from the mix.

As I said, utterly trivial, and I doubt anyone would normally notice, but it's there if any of you are so inclined to check for the sheer geeky fun of it. Even if you're not inclined to mess about with audio like me, if you keep playing the opening chord you might hear the little clippy noise if you listen for it, it's literally on the opening chord right at the beginning.
wait, what? what removed Beefheart sample? have i missed something here? is this something that was in the leak, rather than the release? or somewhere else?
Old 23-09-2013, 20:31
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
wait, what? what removed Beefheart sample? have i missed something here? is this something that was in the leak, rather than the release? or somewhere else?
It has been played at least a couple of times on the radio, is apparently on promo pre-release copies of the album, and was confirmed as having to be removed on the final release by the band (Nicky) in interviews.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 23-09-2013, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-groovey-morning-fine View Post
Why would you make me realise this. WHY?
I'm a guy who likes to share, what can I say?

I feel I'm over the You Know Me soundalike and AFALC has grown on me quite a bit since. I think the demo is better, though. Less trumpety and the like, and more understated.
Old 23-09-2013, 21:31
Desire on its knees

Quote:
It has been played at least a couple of times on the radio, is apparently on promo pre-release copies of the album, and was confirmed as having to be removed on the final release by the band (Nicky) in interviews.
the new Streetcar Named Desire / Little Baby Nothing? was it just '...soil...' that had a sample removed?
Old 23-09-2013, 21:38
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
the new Streetcar Named Desire / Little Baby Nothing? was it just '...soil...' that had a sample removed?
ha, yes it is a bit like that.

As far as I know yes, that's the only one.

Old 19-10-2013, 17:40
Freed from the century

Been meaning to say this since first listen, but is it possible they lifted the dingly bit at the beginning of Builder of Routines from the dingly bit at the very end of gothic masterpiece Sanctum Sanctorum by The Damned? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGZzVo0A8U
Old 21-10-2013, 20:00
Knowlede Is Power

Manobrier reminds me of very early fleetwood mac. Can't quite think what the song is, but I think it was one of their first
Old 20-11-2013, 21:26
Freed from the century

builder of routines sounds so much like sgt peppers era beatles