Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best and worst cover (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63390)

cs 01-04-2022 22:08

Best and worst cover

Just watched the Mad Street Preachers cover Madonnas Borderline and i think it was good. The intro indeed. Whats their best and worst cover? Best for me is endless plain of fortune by John Cale. Worst Start me up by Rolling Stones. Whats yours?

Manicben 01-04-2022 22:11

I never thought much of the Wrote For Luck cover.

But it shuffled the other day and it hit home just how drastic of a change it is and it gives it another life altogether.

Son of Stopped 01-04-2022 22:29

Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel? Didn't the rest of the band not be arsed enough to turn up and contribute, more like!

And best? Probably Umbrella.

Lee 01-04-2022 22:50

Great question and impossible to answer.

Anyone fancy taking a comprehensive stab at listing their covers? Looking at 30+ easily, probably nearer 50 tbh.

This calls for a giant poll :D

usagainstyou 02-04-2022 03:42

Best: Suicide is Painless.
Worst: Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel.

centralscrutiniser 02-04-2022 07:22

Worst - working class hero. But i can't stand Lennon at the best of times so it's not really about the cover itself.
Best - suicide is painless

hummingbird 02-04-2022 09:52

Best definitely suicide is painless ...worst either wrote for luck - just don't like the song to start with .......or working class hero - just meh

JimmiB 02-04-2022 10:04

Best - Vision Blurred.

Worst - probably Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel, its just so uneventful.

Europa Gluten Free 02-04-2022 12:54

It's not that some of their covers are bad - just completely unnecessary. Start Me Up must be the worst.

I suppose the best is easily Suicide is Painless. But I do like Red Sleeping Beauty.

Glyn 02-04-2022 13:48

My favourite is probably We are all Bourgeois Now but Primitive Painters is one that doesn't get anywhere near enough love in my opinion.
Worst would either be The Drowners or This is the Day (I'm with Simon Price on that one) for me.

michael 02-04-2022 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cs (Post 2693059)
Just watched the Mad Street Preachers cover Madonnas Borderline and i think it was good. The intro indeed. Whats their best and worst cover? Best for me is endless plain of fortune by John Cale. Worst Start me up by Rolling Stones. Whats yours?

I think mine are exactly the same as yours!

Bambi 02-04-2022 20:27

Out of Time is glorious, a perfect illustration of the band's affinity with classic pop. I would genuinely take it over the Farlowe/Stones versions, which it absolutely dances around.

James doing Red Sleeping Beauty live for radio was also amazing, bringing something out of his voice I've never heard before or since. Even if he might have fucked up the words.

Wrote For Luck is shit, Been a Son was needless at best, and good lord I'd forgotten Start Me Up, the very definition of inessential.

Routine Builder 02-04-2022 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 2693080)
James doing Red Sleeping Beauty live for radio was also amazing, bringing something out of his voice I've never heard before or since. Even if he might have fucked up the words.

Word.

UEF 02-04-2022 22:03

How did I never hear of Start Me Up. It sounds like a cover band’s first run through.

rosetree 02-04-2022 22:04

This Is The Day - because of the music and James' voice. Also Wake up Alone, I think James captures the essence of the song really well.

Worst is Start Me Up - James guitar goes really weird at the end and I don't know if Nicky was there.