Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   TUVL: second thoughts…. (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63284)

meanestgreenmeme 10-09-2021 21:25

TUVL: second thoughts….

I raced trough the album the other day and felt flat and disappointed.
Today I listened…………. Diapause………..oh my heart.

Marat Sar 11-09-2021 04:01

Glad to hear at least one of the initial bounce-offs is coming around :) It's just the kind of album I like from them. A strong concept with atmosphere, melancholy and strangeness. And yeah, Diapause has immense vocals. Reminds me of I'm Not Working in the best possible way.

Anyone else coming around to this after first getting repelled?

Dancing Kirby 11-09-2021 09:03

I might have been a tad harsh on the lyrics a week ago. It could well be Nicky’s best batch in quite a while.

Even so there’s nothing here to match up to the beauty of ABBA’s new song about what it’s like to be last year’s iPhone when this year’s model is unveiled.

And now you see another me, I've been reloaded, yeah
I'm fired up, don't shut me down
I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded
I'm fired up, I'm hot, don't shut me down
I'm not the one you knew
I'm now and then combined
And I'm asking you to have an open mind (And I won't be the same)
I'm not the same this time around (Ooh)
I'm fired up, don't shut me down

Some battles you just can’t win. Nicky should have never come to this town.

Son of Stopped 11-09-2021 12:01

Second blasted through has got me liking Quest For Ancient Colour more.
Get the joke of Afterending lyric expressing lament followed by la la la insensitive to plight.
The Manics have made a PARTY album!!

meanestgreenmeme 11-09-2021 17:46

As per, my unrealistic preconceptions of every album have always been wrong. We really are the worst fans in the world and excactly what they deserve. The album is beautiful. I wish i could articulate the way others do on thia site because i would be writing an immense amount of posts and reviews.
I am so proud of them and what they have become and are becoming…………..

mrdi 11-09-2021 19:18

I very much like ‘Still Snowing in Sapporo’.

It’s almost as though they recycled & retooled the chorus of ‘S.Y.M.M.’ so it wouldn’t be forever wasted on a backwards-sucking dirge.

Tim 11-09-2021 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marat Sar (Post 2689076)
Anyone else coming around to this after first getting repelled?

I wouldn't say repelled at all, though i just kinda dismissed it a bit but the haunted vocals, the weird instrumentation like a howling wind in the background, the lifeblood synth, that lovely little guitar solo and his voice coming in, the uplifting last chorus... just lovely but so very melancholic in that special sauce kind of way only the manics can do.

Edit: I'm referring to diapause specifically of course. What a track.

Europa Gluten Free 11-09-2021 21:14

Love it. Really love it.

polar_bear 13-09-2021 09:57

After feeling a bit 'meh' with it from the first listen, I gave it another couple of plays while decorating. I think it's a really good album, and one I'll still play after the whole record cycle has been and gone (which isn't something I can say about RIF).

Also listened to the demos, and kinda love them more. Which is the first time I've really felt like that with a Manics demos disc. I much prefer the demo of versions of 'Quest for Ancient Colour' and 'Complicated Illusions'

fadeout38 13-09-2021 13:49

First 2 listens it was so bland. Then I thought I *got* it. Then nope, back to boring. Just played tracks out of order and it sounded much better! That's it, the tracklisting is all wrong!

Tim 13-09-2021 19:14

It's very rich in melody this album, which is why various songs pop up in my internal playlist.
I do genuinely love the heart of darkness that is diapause but afterending has a very twisted sense of humour and may be too on the nose but it's great, with some memorable lines. The past year has felt like we're all sailing into the abyss at times but let's have a little sing song and bash some pots and pans while we do, eh? Clapping for a crumbling state that's slowly being dismantled piece by piece by the fucking tories...

RND 14-09-2021 01:59

Great album. Strong form.
I feel like younger people or new fans should like this as well.
There is nothing on the market like this.

Europa Gluten Free 14-09-2021 07:06

Woke up with the Diapause chorus in my head today. So many earworms. Lifeblood will always be the best Winter album, but TUVL will be up there as well.

FacelessSenseOfVoid 14-09-2021 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free (Post 2689365)
Woke up with the Diapause chorus in my head today. So many earworms. Lifeblood will always be the best Winter album, but TUVL will be up there as well.

I think TUVL is what I wanted Futurology to be - not a winter album as such but a better companion to Lifeblood (and perhaps TGW too) in terms of aesthetic.

tzb 14-09-2021 09:25

A lot of it still sounds like total garbage to me, but Orwellian and Happy Bored Alone have definitely grown on me a lot, Orwellian gets stuck in my head, HBA I can hear shades of JFPL in. Afterending is also alright, but a bit anticlimactic as a closer.

Overall the quality of the lyrics is really low compared to the Manics albums I still listen to (eg everything up to JFPL). Not convinced I can ever forgive Into The Waves Of Love however, which is the purest cringe I can imagine. Blank Diary Entry just does not work, Lanegan is wasted on it and it just doesn't fit together. The demo works, and as others have suggested Wire could have filled that space very well, for once. Generally, I wish they'd ditch their stupid duets*, LBN and YLAINE are the only two where I feel the second voice has really added something of value, complemented JDB well and "fit in" with the overall sound - for me. It's also pretty tragic what they did to Still Snowing In Sapporo from demo to album, but the (much better) demo has unlocked the track for me somewhat.

For the existence of some decent tracks... I'd probably no longer rank this my least favourite of their albums (hello again PFAYM). However as noted in another thread... I currently enjoy the demos a lot more than the majority of the album tracks.

*Are the duets there to expose them to new audiences or make more sales? Julia Cumming/Mark Lanegan (in this instance) completionists/fans picking up the album or track?