Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: 'Solidarity' or 'Door To The River'?
Solidarity 21 65.63%
Door To The River 11 34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-12-2009, 00:59
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
only if you throw this thing away
i think SWSS (and the rest of the album for that matter) would benefit quite a lot from much cleaner and more focussed production. There's far too much going on and far too much mess all over the album. If it were tidied up a bit and made a but sharper, it would be a much more tolerable listening experience.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 30-12-2009, 07:18
Bored out of my mind

Maybe that's why I like it? It's messy!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-12-2009, 13:32
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Maybe that's why I like it? It's messy!
maybe it's because you have nothing negative to say about anything with the words 'MANIC STREET PREACHERS' on the cover?

Old 30-12-2009, 14:45
Winterlover

It's hard to choose cause in both albums there songs I like and less lilre but overall I choose Solidarity.
Old 30-12-2009, 18:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
maybe it's because you have nothing negative to say about anything with the words 'MANIC STREET PREACHERS' on the cover?
You can't aim that comment at me, and I agree with him - the messy quality is one of the things I like about it (and that you aren't averse to it seems, if you're happy to put 'Door To The River' on the end even though it sounds nothing like anything else on the album!). And I wouldn't want 'cleaner production' either - I like it rough and distorted.

I can't make up my mind on 'SWSS' though. It's certainly not a favourite but every so often I find myself wanting to listen to it again.

In terms of your edited track listing; you've missed off 'Epicentre' and 'His Last Painting' - two of my favourites from it. So your 'ideal world' doesn't match mine I'm afraid
Old 30-12-2009, 18:33
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Door to the river is one of my favourite songs. I've never seen them play it live...i live in hope.

Old 30-12-2009, 18:39
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Mitch View Post
Door to the river is one of my favourite songs. I've never seen them play it live...i live in hope.
It's a great song - but as there's no strings on any other track on the album it would sound wrong if it were added. 'KYE' has different styles of track on it but they're all produced in a particular way, and 'DTTR' just doesn't fit with that.
Old 30-12-2009, 21:15
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
You can't aim that comment at me, and I agree with him - the messy quality is one of the things I like about it (and that you aren't averse to it seems, if you're happy to put 'Door To The River' on the end even though it sounds nothing like anything else on the album!). And I wouldn't want 'cleaner production' either - I like it rough and distorted.

I can't make up my mind on 'SWSS' though. It's certainly not a favourite but every so often I find myself wanting to listen to it again.

In terms of your edited track listing; you've missed off 'Epicentre' and 'His Last Painting' - two of my favourites from it. So your 'ideal world' doesn't match mine I'm afraid

na, it wasn't aimed at you. it was at gutless wonder. I have notice that Gutless's passionate love for the manics has created a rose tinted haze which leads GW to believe that the Manics can do absolute no wrong

i'd put Door To The River on there, purely because it would have been a perfect album closer. And with different production it could have fitted in quite nicely I believe.

also, in ANOTHER alternate ideal universe (which you're all welcome to come and live in) i'd have Door To The River (with different production) on Lifeblood, along with There By The Grace Of God, removing The Love Of Richard Nixon and Fragments or Always/Never.

I do have a soft spot for Epicentre, but in survival of the fittest i don't think it would last.

Last edited by Midlands_Junk; 30-12-2009 at 21:18.
Old 30-12-2009, 21:21
Bored out of my mind

I'm not saying they can't do any wrong, I just happen to like all of their work thus far!

ps - Phil, I'm a she not a he!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-12-2009, 21:43
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
na, it wasn't aimed at you.
I know, but you seemed to be dismissing her entire case based on her other opinions. I'm just saying that not everyone who shares that POV can be dismissed in the same way.
Old 30-12-2009, 21:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
ps - Phil, I'm a she not a he!
Oops! Noted!
Old 30-12-2009, 21:46
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
i'd put Door To The River on there, purely because it would have been a perfect album closer. And with different production it could have fitted in quite nicely I believe.
Oh, and I can't see 'DTTR' working without the strings, and I can't see it fitting on the album with them.
Old 30-12-2009, 21:49
Bored out of my mind

Hmmmm. Trying to imagine DTTR being on KYE as it is. Might've been a good closer but not sure if it would have fitted very well.
Old 31-12-2009, 01:18
A self-made vacuum

So Why So Sad is a great song... it's catchy and pretty and its lyrics are one of the only decent ones on the album.
Old 31-12-2009, 07:14
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmanine View Post
So Why So Sad is a great song... it's catchy and pretty and its lyrics are one of the only decent ones on the album.
Yay! Some SWSS love!