Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-09-2021, 22:00
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
There's an interview with James on the HMV website: https://www.hmv.com/music/manic-stre...ment-interview
Best interview with James or the band in a long time. Really enjoyed that.
Old 15-09-2021, 22:09
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Best interview with James or the band in a long time. Really enjoyed that.
I agree, that was well worth a read.

Thanks for linking it, Abstract Unknown Girl!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 16-09-2021, 20:28
Winterlover

I enjoyed that too apart from this bit...

Quote:
We don’t stockpile anymore. We know how to kill stuff off. The age of the B-Side is over.
He's not wrong but the b-side allowed them to cut loose a bit and doesn't always work but when it does it's golden.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 16-09-2021, 20:30
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I enjoyed that too apart from this bit...

He's not wrong but the b-side allowed them to cut loose a bit and doesn't always work but when it does it's golden.
Ah that’s sad news. I know we’ve all said it a million times here but they really are such a good b-side band and always have been.
Old 16-09-2021, 21:07
Under neon loneliness

Given they won't be releasing (many) b-sides they need to get some better second opinions on what goes on the album. They have always failed to pick some of their best tracks for records - the fact they revised the track listing of two of their anniversary albums to include b-sides must make this clear to them.
Old 16-09-2021, 21:13
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
the fact they revised the track listing of two of their anniversary albums to include b-sides must make this clear to them.
Though in fairness, they exiled Prologue to History in the first place because it didn't suit the album, and they were right.
Old 16-09-2021, 21:17
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Though in fairness, they exiled Prologue to History in the first place because it didn't suit the album, and they were right.
I hate the revisionist anniversary editions, i truly do. Nevermind the fact prologue doesn't work on the album, and i love it, but let the album stand as it was released, warts and all.
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 16-09-2021, 21:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I hate the revisionist anniversary editions, i truly do. Nevermind the fact prologue doesn't work on the album, and i love it, but let the album stand as it was released, warts and all.
Oh aye, I really don't like the revisionist history, they should treat the albums as they are (especially if they're going to do the bare minimum with the revisionism and just slap the new song where the old song stood without any thought put to the flow etc).

The potential of the KYE reissue splitting the original album into two per the original vision is... not exciting.
Old 16-09-2021, 22:23
Born to end

I agree that they shouldn't have touched SATT/TIMTTMY and by changing one track they managed to make them worse. But I hope they go all out on KYE. It'll be almost like a new release
Old 16-09-2021, 22:32
Knowlede Is Power

I think KYE’s the only album where a complete change of tracks / issue their original two CD album could work but agree, leave the others alone.

Given we’re going to be shelling out £45+ for the 20th anniversary boxset they can throw in the extra two CDs along with the album in its original form.
Old 24-09-2021, 18:22
Bored out of my mind

Another interview with James on Clash Music: https://www.clashmusic.com/features/...rs-interviewed
Old 24-09-2021, 19:58
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Another interview with James on Clash Music: https://www.clashmusic.com/features/...rs-interviewed
Quote:
“I would never tell anyone who to vote for but I will definitely tell you that I’m not voting for the Tories and I’m definitely not voting for UKIP. If we keep arguing with each other, letting the middle ground be sucked up like a vacuum by the Tories, then we’ll never get anywhere. Let’s get our act together.”
See, nicky, it's not impossible to pick a side.
Old 24-09-2021, 20:28
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

The lyric says "It feels impossible" not "It is impossible".

Also I think this quote from the interview shows James isn't too far off this point of view:

Quote:
And at the moment, it’s the Tory party - because they wake up every morning and they go, oh, the others are still fighting culture wars with each other. It’s not good politics - it’s just divisive politics.”
Having issues with the way some people on the left argue their point of doesn't necessarily mean you're centrist or right wing.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 24-09-2021, 20:39
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
The lyric says "It feels impossible" not "It is impossible".
I know and my point still stands, it shouldn't feel impossible to pick a side. The tories always capitalise on the left fighting amongst themselves - "culture wars", "wokeness", "cancel culture" - it's all right wing shibboleths intended to drive a wedge into the left.
Old 24-09-2021, 21:27
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

But not everything is a left right issue. I hate to bring the spectre of Brexit but plenty of die in the wool remainers couldn't even countenance a compromise on Brexit which is part of the reason why we've got the worst of all Brexits. Look at the internal Labour squabbling with Starmer fighting yesterday's battles to keep another Corbyn out. Look at the Scottish referendum. Endless displays of people just shouting across each other and very little of consciousness raising and building bridges. There's no point in being right if people don't want be seen with you for being an asshole. That's why it's difficult to pick a side sometimes, because even though you might have a nuanced view on something, you're just going to be lumped in with the jackass with the loudest voice.

Stand back, I have political powers!