Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-10-2009, 17:15
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansan View Post
Enjoy paying out the ass for that.
I would. I really would.
Old 11-10-2009, 17:16
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
They can do it wherever they want. They could put on a gig at a 300-capacity venue in Wales far easier than they could in the US.
True. The Scala gig was small, and Renfrew Ferry was tiny (and free )
Old 11-10-2009, 17:26
Doors slowly closing

It was obvious that they had a blast in the U.S. which was great to see! They won't break America (I doubt they were trying to) but from the reception they got and how amazing they were with the fans they'll certainly be back again sooner than 10 years, I can bet on that!
Old 11-10-2009, 17:33
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
They quite often do small venues in the Uk...

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 11-10-2009, 17:37
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
They can do it wherever they want. They could put on a gig at a 300-capacity venue in Wales far easier than they could in the US.
Oh come on man, let people over here have their moment in the sun for once! This whole discussion is in danger of being drag down to the level of a "them vs us" arguement. Yeah, we're all too aware in N America that the Manics are far more successful on their home turf...we get that! But it was a successful tour, perhaps not in terms of attendance (though some of the bigger cities in the States - NYC - saw an amazing turn out and Toronto was huge - yeah, we're not American so don't count even though we are the third most populace city in N America), but the band bloody well thought it was a success despite loosing money and at the end of the day, that's all that mattered. I couldn't give a rat's ass if their popularity was bolstered in the States as a result if this tour (given the promotion, which was virtually non-existant and given the fact that established fans made up the bulk of their audience, I highly doubt it made much of a difference in terms of building their fanbase)! I'm just glad that fans like myself were finally able to see a band we absolutely love and that the band had a great time, which they absolutely did!
After seeing them play, I realized that this tour wasn't merely about promoting JFPL but rather a chance for the band to play for an audience that they virtually ignored for 10 years. If some of you can't be happy for us about that without bringing up the old "why'd they bother because they aren't gonna be as popular over there" arguements, then really, why bother even saying anything at all? It's a little like rubbing salt in a fresh wound.

I have more to say on this topic, but I'll come back to it when I'm not coughing up a lung.
Old 11-10-2009, 17:38
Doors slowly closing

Well said! It was fantastic tour and everyone enjoyed it; band and fans. I think above all that's what they were trying to achieve.
Old 11-10-2009, 17:50
Administrator

Why does it cost 'so much' to do the US? Just the distances involved and shipping the gear over, or what? Surely no more than shipping the gear to japan for example. Once they are there it can't cost too much more than touring the Uk, can it?
Old 11-10-2009, 18:39
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Why does it cost 'so much' to do the US? Just the distances involved and shipping the gear over, or what? Surely no more than shipping the gear to japan for example. Once they are there it can't cost too much more than touring the Uk, can it?
Exactly - also they could rent the gear, amps, drums etc like many bands do. For example I know via acquaintances that Machine Head are going to be renting amps from Bricklane when they come over here next - tested them out at Download festival. Plenty of bands 'travel light'.
Old 11-10-2009, 18:57
Bored out of my mind

I was wondering about the debt thing as well! I take it they just mean they went over budget, not actually having lost millions of pounds. (Hope not anyway! ). Seeing JDB in Stoke was as tiny a venue as I'll probably ever get to see any member of the band so I treasure that memory! Watching the clips from the US tour has been great though and seeing all the pictures. The band were loving it and so were the fans. James said in the next '1 and a half to 2 years' a couple of times so hopefully they will stick to that and US/Canadian fans will get to see them again alot sooner.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-10-2009, 19:11
Winterlover

Well, when you play to 150 people one night - a few other shows were probably in that rage too - and then have a really poor selection of merch avaialble, it makes sense as to why they went into debt doing that tour. I'm sure they expected it though. It's not like they thought they were going to make a financial killing on the N American tour.
Old 11-10-2009, 19:13
Bored out of my mind

As long as they're not totally bankrupt!

(Don't worry, I know they're not!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-10-2009, 19:24
Born to end

It must cost a hell of a lot of money to do a decent full US tour-just look at the size of that piece of land. To break the US properly a band needs to spend a good solid year at least over there to tour the place properly, combined with a popular song that co-insides with the tour/radio/magazine/tv promotion and then do it all over again within 2-3 years so people don't forget about the band. I can understand why many bands don't bother with it.

The manics are never going to break america-there music is too intelligent for the vast majority of the american audience and the manic boys now have families and what not. The perfect time would have probably been in 1996/97 just as they got big in the UK.
Old 11-10-2009, 19:26
Administrator

I'm sure it does, I meant for a tour this size though.....presumably any debt incurred is carried by sony, not the band personally!
Old 11-10-2009, 19:34
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
I'm sure it does, I meant for a tour this size though.....presumably any debt incurred is carried by sony, not the band personally!
Yeah, I would've thought that too.
Old 11-10-2009, 19:48
Desire on its knees

nope the debt is all theirs.
even if sony did incur the debt, the manics would still have to pay it via a percentage of their record sales.