Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-10-2010, 17:16
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
They are soundchecking la tris full if that helps
I've heard they soundchecked Australia in Norwich and they didn't play it. shame because THIS IS A TOP TUNE AND I LOVE AUSTRALIA!!!
Old 19-10-2010, 17:18
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
if you want the other songs being played then go to the gig by someone else!
How is that going to help us hear songs from The Manics back catalogue though which, surely, is the point of the discussion?

Quote:
how can the Manics give up playing classic hits?
We're not suggesting that; just that they mix it up a bit. Two or three "unusual" songs from a 24 song set isn't asking the earth, really.

Quote:
what the hell do you want?! b-sides??
No, just some different album tracks. If they wanted to play b-sides, that would be fine too.

Quote:
playing 23 songs a gig is a nice number and we're getting really good stuff.
There's nothing wrong with the songs themselves, it's more that fact that it's the same songs as they aways play. I think the major issue is the frustration that so much of their amazing back catalogue gets overlooked (for whatever reason).

Quote:
THIS IS A TOP TUNE AND I LOVE AUSTRALIA!!!
So do I, and I'd have been over the moon to have heard that in Lincoln (where they also sound checked it, apparently).
Old 19-10-2010, 17:20
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post

So do I, and I'd have been over the moon to have heard that in Lincoln (where they also sound checked it, apparently).
Yep they did. Weird that they did that
Old 19-10-2010, 17:25
Builder of routine

Quote:
How is that going to help us hear songs from The Manics back catalogue though which, surely, is the point of the discussion?

We're not suggesting that; just that they mix it up a bit. Two or three "unusual" songs from a 24 song set isn't asking the earth, really.

No, just some different album tracks. If they wanted to play b-sides, that would be fine too.

There's nothing wrong with the songs themselves, it's more that fact that it's the same songs as they aways play. I think the major issue is the frustration that so much of their amazing back catalogue gets overlooked (for whatever reason).

*sighs*
maybe that's the major problem that I would enjoy if they played 5 ME, 5 MJ, 5 Tolerate and 5 ADFL every gig I saw them. because I love seeing them live, the excitement realising they ARE in the building 30 meters away from me, hearing some tunes on soundcheck and so on and so on. I haven't seen them too many times, but I don't want to moan on the setlist because I enjoy whatever they play. it's just them being on stage and me being happy because of that.
Old 19-10-2010, 17:26
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouLoveMe View Post
I agree, and I wish they'd mix the set up a bit more too, but I think people will always complain that there aren't enough rarities even if they drop one or two in.
Yeah, probably. I appreciate that people who go to multiple gigs to make a rod for their own back to a certain extent, but I would be totally happy if they just played one or two different songs each night. It would bring an nice, extra element of surprise to the proceedings. It would be even better if one of the songs replaced Ocean Spray too...

Quote:
*sighs*
maybe that's the major problem that I would enjoy if they played 5 ME, 5 MJ, 5 Tolerate and 5 ADFL every gig I saw them. because I love seeing them live, the excitement realising they ARE in the building 30 meters away from me, hearing some tunes on soundcheck and so on and so on. I haven't seen them too many times, but I don't want to moan on the setlist because I enjoy whatever they play. it's just them being on stage and me being happy because of that.
I still enjoy seeing them live for the same reasons you mentioned, hence why I still go to their gigs. I'm well aware that this thread could go one for a million pages and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference, but since we're discussing it, I would like to hear some more of their back catalogue. It's exactly because I love the band so much that I get a bit frustrated by things like this.

And, interestingly the four songs you listed are four that I think should still be played, FWIW.

Last edited by Ben; 19-10-2010 at 17:30.
Old 19-10-2010, 17:27
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
the excitement realising they ARE in the building 30 meters away from me
Gosssh, they are hardly Britney Spears
Old 19-10-2010, 17:27
I live to fall asleep

I suppose I can count myself lucky that in 19 years of Manics gigs I've seen them play plenty of songs that are now considered "rarities".

Thinking back, I remember being SCARED of Bradders at my first few Manics gigs. I was 14/15 the first time I saw them and he wasn't cuddly and full of banter back then... he was an angry looking bastard whose crowd banter was more like goading. T in the Park 1994 was the last time I remember being a bit unsettled by him although I can't remember specifically why. EMG era seemed to spawn a new, Mr Nice Guy JDB.

Sorry to bore people with this, was kinda thinking out loud there!
Old 19-10-2010, 17:33
Builder of routine

Quote:
I suppose I can count myself lucky that in 19 years of Manics gigs I've seen them play plenty of songs that are now considered "rarities".

Thinking back, I remember being SCARED of Bradders at my first few Manics gigs. I was 14/15 the first time I saw them and he wasn't cuddly and full of banter back then... he was an angry looking bastard whose crowd banter was more like goading. T in the Park 1994 was the last time I remember being a bit unsettled by him although I can't remember specifically why. EMG era seemed to spawn a new, Mr Nice Guy JDB.

not boring at all...same reason i wasnt much into the manics in the early 90s..no way i would've gone to a gig. Didnt think i'd get out alive
Old 19-10-2010, 17:36
Footprint of history

Quote:

No, not boring. I think that's part of the reason I can't quite get my head around THB Manics. The James on stage on the Astoria '94 videos looks and sounds like James of today, but I can't imagine the James of today dressing of acting that way. At the risk of sounding like Nicky; there definitely are two versions of the band...
Old 19-10-2010, 18:04
Builder of routine

Quote:
I still enjoy seeing them live for the same reasons you mentioned, hence why I still go to their gigs. I'm well aware that this thread could go one for a million pages and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference, but since we're discussing it, I would like to hear some more of their back catalogue. It's exactly because I love the band so much that I get a bit frustrated by things like this.And, interestingly the four songs you listed are four that I think should still be played, FWIW.
yeah I understand you Ben
@bolded - yes, we all moan because we love, don't we

and FWIW means...???
Quote:
Originally Posted by A boy called Rita View Post
Gosssh, they are hardly Britney Spears
really? I sometimes confuse Nicky with Britney when he's dyeing himself blonde to be honest...
Quote:

omg dark ages of 1994!! I'm jealous!
Old 19-10-2010, 18:07
Knowlede Is Power

I remember my first Manics gig they didn't play Motown Junk and there were great complaints from many. They played PCP, Die In The Summertime, Yes and Faster, and yet people still found something to complain about!
Old 19-10-2010, 18:08
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro8 View Post
I remember my first Manics gig they didn't play Motown Junk and there were great complaints from many. They played PCP, Die In The Summertime, Yes and Faster, and yet people still found something to complain about!
Where these people on something?!
Old 19-10-2010, 18:08
Stretched out in the sun

Don't go and see them so much if you get sick of the setlists, that's what I do!
Old 19-10-2010, 18:15
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Noir View Post
Don't go and see them so much if you get sick of the setlists, that's what I do!
Exactly.... if you are gonna see them 11/12 times in the space of a month then you are bound to get a bit bored of some of the songs... that said, surely the band must be bored of them too?!
Old 19-10-2010, 18:16
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Exactly.... if you are gonna see them 11/12 times in the space of a month then you are bound to get a bit bored of some of the songs... that said, surely the band must be bored of them too?!
I think with the band it's gone passed boredom.