Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 03-07-2024, 05:38
Born to end

Thumbs down Suede co-headline tour WARNING

The Manics are on first and it appears 25 mins after doors. I missed their entire fucking gig in Dublin last night because for some reason, the band nobody has heard of since 1996 was on last. Fucking shitshow. What a way to alienate fans. And no, the promoter nor Ticketmaster made ANY reference to stage times.

EDIT: It's not my responsibility to check a band forum or their Instagram to find out information the promoter and Ticketmaster were legally obliged to tell me.
EDIT: 25 minutes after doors is insane, nobody seemed to mention that.

Last edited by leopheard; 05-07-2024 at 20:25. Reason: Idiots
Old 04-07-2024, 11:18
I live to fall asleep

To be fair, if you have looked at any communication from either band or FD you should be well aware of who was on first and that it was being rotated.

Sorry you missed the gig but it sounds like your fault.
Old 04-07-2024, 16:19
Freed from the century

I even saw the set times posted (and I live in Canada).
Old 04-07-2024, 19:36
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Yes, sorry to hear you missed them but it's been well publicised for a while now. I'm not going to any of the gigs and had seen it mentioned here and the official FB amongst other places several times. It's a pretty standard set up for co-headline tours too.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:40
I am purity, they call me perverted

Yeah as other posters have said above the order of who was playing first/second was announced as part of the tour announcement and posted on articles etc promoting the tour and also in the Manics mailing list email - here's an example from NME's website posted when the tour was announced on November 27th 2023: https://www.nme.com/news/music/manic...ickets-3549456
Old 05-07-2024, 12:11
Knowlede Is Power

It's disappointing to see so much Torying here.

The established standard for events is that essential info is provided by promoter or seller at the point of sale, or by means of direct communication before the gig. The other established standard is that the headline act goes on second.

There's nothing on the Manics tour page, any of the ticket seller sites, or (speaking at least for Ticketmaster) the concert information to suggest that Manics play the opening set on some nights. There's information about what clothing to wear with it being an outdoor event, but nothing about the 'headliner' playing the support slot. Blaming people for not reading about this on Facebook / Twitter / NME / their local planning department in Alpha Centuri is wank. The onus on providing this info directly to ticket buyers was on the Manics' team.
Old 05-07-2024, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

There's nothing on the Manics tour page, any of the ticket seller sites, or (speaking at least for Ticketmaster) the concert information to suggest that Manics play the opening set on some nights. There's information about what clothing to wear with it being an outdoor event, but nothing about the 'headliner' playing the support slot. Blaming people for not reading about this on Facebook / Twitter / NME / their local planning department in Alpha Centuri is wank. The onus on providing this info directly to ticket buyers was on the Manics' team.
The tour announcement said that the Manics and Suede were co-headlining with no support acts announced so unless you were expecting them to play simultaneously, one would have to play first, the other second. Nothing Tory about that. This was communicated all over social media and in every interview promoting this tour. The band communicated the running order and stages for Dublin stage times at 11:00 on the day. There was many a time where I needed to know the stage times for travel arrangements. What did I do? Contact the venue or social'd the band's twitter and I nearly always get a direct response or the information from another fan. I remember the JPFL gigs had no support earlier and they took stage earlier than expected. I find it a bit rich that someone would resurrect a dormant account on here to complain despite the fact we've been spending the last 6 months discussing the tour and the stage times. Perhaps it could have been communicated by Ticketmaster to ticketbuyers but I think most can agree they're a useless shower of c*nts and expecting any semblance of basic service would be akin to expecting Boris Johnson to be a half decent prime minister (or human being for that matter).

Have to say I found it hilarious complaining about a band apparently not relevant since the 90's taking stage priority over the Manic Street Preachers, the band who've created every musical trend of the last 25 years and whose prominence in the music scene is so immense that even Talyor moved up her Dublin tour dates so not to clash with them.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 05-07-2024, 20:18
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
The tour announcement said that the Manics and Suede were co-headlining with no support acts announced so unless you were expecting them to play simultaneously, one would have to play first, the other second. Nothing Tory about that. This was communicated all over social media and in every interview promoting this tour. The band communicated the running order and stages for Dublin stage times at 11:00 on the day. There was many a time where I needed to know the stage times for travel arrangements. What did I do? Contact the venue or social'd the band's twitter and I nearly always get a direct response or the information from another fan. I remember the JPFL gigs had no support earlier and they took stage earlier than expected. I find it a bit rich that someone would resurrect a dormant account on here to complain despite the fact we've been spending the last 6 months discussing the tour and the stage times. Perhaps it could have been communicated by Ticketmaster to ticketbuyers but I think most can agree they're a useless shower of c*nts and expecting any semblance of basic service would be akin to expecting Boris Johnson to be a half decent prime minister (or human being for that matter).

Have to say I found it hilarious complaining about a band apparently not relevant since the 90's taking stage priority over the Manic Street Preachers, the band who've created every musical trend of the last 25 years and whose prominence in the music scene is so immense that even Talyor moved up her Dublin tour dates so not to clash with them.
End of the day - I bought my tickets from Ticketmaster, so this is on them and the promoters. It's not my fucking responsibility to check their social media or to be constantly on a forum like you guys are, all in order to inform myself of something the promoters and TM had a legal duty to actually tell me.

I have been going to gigs since probably before you were born and I have never seen anything as poorly organized as this. I even have tickets that say on them 'no support' or 'early show' to give people a clue.

Maybe rather than just being oppositional for no reason and sticking up for "your" band, just admit that they fucked up. Also, it's fucking weird that you actually took the time to look at my profile for ammo to support your band. Get a fucking life.

Last edited by leopheard; 05-07-2024 at 20:24.
Old 05-07-2024, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

The established standard for events is that essential info is provided by promoter or seller at the point of sale, or by means of direct communication before the gig. The other established standard is that the headline act goes on second.

Sorry, but I don't think I've ever attended a gig where the "established standard" you suggest of providing essential info which in this case would be stage times, band orders etc was provided at point of sale or whatever... because it never happens! The onus for providing the info to ticket buyers should be on the point of sale, provided by the tour promotor and in a perfect world that would happen - but it simply doesn't, so that's where using your own brain, checking social media feeds and using search engines come in. There's usually always something that the bands or venue confirm in a social media post/tweet by lunch time when I go to check times etc, and I'm sure it'll be the same when I'm checking times for attending the Edinburgh date on Wednesday (I already know Manics are playing 2nd for that show, because it was announced in November after all.)
Old 05-07-2024, 20:31
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by napnet86_ View Post
Sorry, but I don't think I've ever attended a gig where the "established standard" you suggest of providing essential info which in this case would be stage times, band orders etc was provided at point of sale or whatever... because it never happens!

That's always something that the bands or venue confirm in a social media post/tweet when I go to check times etc, and I'm sure it'll be the same when I'm checking times for attending the Edinburgh date on Wednesday (I already know Manics are playing 2nd for that show, because it was announced in November after all.)
Two things: I have COUNTLESS tickets with times on them. Also, what would be wrong with "Stage times yet to be determined" on the ticket to give at least ONE clue that the smaller, shittier band is on last?
Old 05-07-2024, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopheard View Post
End of the day - I bought my tickets from Ticketmaster, so this is on them and the promoters. It's not my fucking responsibility to check their social media or to be constantly on a forum like you guys are, all in order to inform myself of something the promoters and TM had a legal duty to actually tell me.

I have been going to gigs since probably before you were born and I have never seen anything as poorly organized as this. I even have tickets that say on them 'no support' or 'early show' to give people a clue.

Maybe rather than just being oppositional for no reason and sticking up for "your" band, just admit that they fucked up. Also, it's fucking weird that you actually took the time to look at my profile for ammo to support your band. Get a fucking life.
Any ticket I've bought generally had only the doors open time on it, that's it. Rarely do I see stage times, this is usually only confirmed closer to the gig and via the venue/band's social media. I barely go to gigs these days and even I know this stuff. It's shitty you missed the band, I feel for you, but you took the chance skipping the support band on the presumption this was like other gigs despite being promoted and advertised as a co-headline gig, that's on you. Act your age and take responsibility for informing yourself and perhaps make a habit of showing up for the support acts. I haven't seen anyone else on this tour have a similar issue so maybe it's more a you thing.

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 05-07-2024 at 22:22.
Old 06-07-2024, 06:46
An imitation of dignity

Quote:

100% agree with almost all of this.

I'm a rare visitor to these pages and having seen the two bands were touring, and an hour from home, I would have gone to see them regardless of which way around they played. Bought the Cardiff tickets, and a 5 minute scoot around online told me Manics were second which was great. Didn't need to be on here "constantly" either to find the info.

Any sympathy for the OP (and I genuinely do have sympathy) is tempered by them blaming everyone but themselves for the mistake and then having a go at Suede for having the temerity for being, well, Suede!

Great show last night by the way. Left Bristol at 3.30pm, arrived at Cardiff 5.30pm, soaked to the skin from 6pm till halfway through Suede's set and then the boys smashed it. Back home at 12.30am but worth every drop of rain and aching bone to see them.

1993 - Milton Keynes
2002 - Cardiff
2014 - Bournemouth
2018 - Wembley Arena
2019 - Bath
2021 - Cardiff
2021 - Bath
2021 - Wembley Arena
2022 - Bristol
2023 - Bath
2024 - Cardiff

Torn between the then and now, never really knowing the why and how
Old 06-07-2024, 08:08

Sorry you missed the set, I have to say though I thought it was well publicised the times and orders of each gig, it was the basis on which gig I bought tickets for.....
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness
Old 06-07-2024, 16:43
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldland Manic View Post
100% agree with almost all of this.

I'm a rare visitor to these pages and having seen the two bands were touring, and an hour from home, I would have gone to see them regardless of which way around they played. Bought the Cardiff tickets, and a 5 minute scoot around online told me Manics were second which was great. Didn't need to be on here "constantly" either to find the info.
That's right, it's the responsibility of the ticket purchaser to inform themselves of the specific event details, not the promoter or retailer who actually orchestrate the whole event... I mean, after all, the person buying the ticket is the one that actually sets stage times etc. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 06-07-2024, 16:48
Born to end

Quote:
Any ticket I've bought generally had only the doors open time on it, that's it. Rarely do I see stage times, this is usually only confirmed closer to the gig and via the venue/band's social media. I barely go to gigs these days and even I know this stuff. It's shitty you missed the band, I feel for you, but you took the chance skipping the support band on the presumption this was like other gigs despite being promoted and advertised as a co-headline gig, that's on you. Act your age and take responsibility for informing yourself and perhaps make a habit of showing up for the support acts. I haven't seen anyone else on this tour have a similar issue so maybe it's more a you thing.
Well done, you're getting it! Tickets usually do have door times yes, and if the event is starting early, I have seen countless times 'early gig' etc under the time or occasionally 'no support'. If there is support, the ticket would usually say 'Main band + support 1 + support 2', so you can assume with a reasonable degree of accuracy that not only is the main band on LAST but what time they'll roughly be on when you know the doors time.

Fuck, I went to a gig in Liverpool once, got there around 20:00, to only find that the main band weren't on til midnight. It's an unreasonable change last minute yes, but at least I was able to still see them because it wasn't an earlier start instead of a later one.

And no, the reason why you've not heard of this is because all but like 2 of these gigs are the MSP on last. Unfortunately, one of these 2 was the Dublin gig.